Anyone have VSP Vision Plan?

We've had VSP for years. We get eye exams for $20 every two years. I wish it would cover an annual exam.

Glasses are covered every two years, but our co-pay on glasses can vary upon the frames and lenses we pick. None of us wear contacts, so I have no idea what that coverage would include.

We have had VSP for a very long time. With four kids (3 who wear glasses) and hubby and I who also wear glasses it is well worth it for us. We usually go to lenscrafters or walmart though and pay up front then submit for reimbursement. Seems to be cheaper. The in-network guys just charge too much for the upgrades that I want on my lenses.

My DH's company provides VSP (as well as dental and health) at no cost to the employees (fed gov't contractor- engineering contracting-consulting company). Also no co-pay for VSP. I guess we have a different version than some. What we get is free exam per year, free glasses, lenses each visit (or contacts). If you want lens coating or upgraded anything else, you do have to pay a little more, but it's not bad. We also go to an opthamologist (M.D.) who is in a practice with optometrists and have opticians in the office. One of the many reasons we love the company he works for. Only DH uses it now for glasses/contacts. I dont' wear them although I go in every 1-2 years for checkups. DS (24) is on his own plan now through his job although we had him go right before he graduated college to get his last pair of glasses and DS (21) doesn't wear glasses either.

I love, love, love VSP. We just went ti the eye doctor last week and my husband's new glasses came to a whopping $358 and we paid $35! I am very happy with the savings. I haven't gotten mine because I am really picky about the frames. So, I have to shop around and get the numbers and he will special order my frames. For the family plan I pay somewhere around $12 a month for the insurance and it covers a pair of glasses or contacts every year for every family member. Both my husband and myself wear glasses so it is great for us. It is really easy to use. I highly recommend vsp! Good luck.

I have had VSP for years. I have only started using it more frequently now that my 2 kids wear glasses.

Yesterday DD5 had a follow up visit. I was told I had to pay $30 for a copay plus $35 for a refraction fee. I asked what that was and was told, that since the doctor was going to check her eyes and prescription there would be a refraction fee. huh?:confused3 Doesnt everyone go to the eye Dr. to have their eyes checked?:confused:

we normally pay up front and submit the claims for reimbursement.

I do this as well, so you can use whoever you want. I will say that VSP doesn't really "advertise" that you can do this, but I did and it was GREAT!

Our policy with them provides for free exams and contact fittings one a year. They offer a percentage discount on glasses and contacts through their providers, but it is still cheaper to go elsewhere for those.

Wow...I think 'we' must have a totally different version of everyone else's VSP plan.....:confused3

We went to the optometrist (one of the plan's guys...NOT my pick of docs at all...long story). My husband had a contact lense exam...I had an exam for glasses. We both wear either or but he needed contact lenses...and my glasses are 4 years old. Anyhow...JUST the exams and my bill was $88.00!!
:eek:

They told me what the dollar amount was that the plan would pay towards contacts and glasses. Unfortunately, we are going to probably Eyemart to purchase those items because its cheaper...to be honest with you...I think the eye exams at Eyemart would have cost us just the same....the little man charged waaay more for exams then Eyemart does...go figure...lesson learned here...just go and pay for it ourselves and skip the VSP plan in the future...how sad...:sad2: Don't get me wrong...I'm very thankful that we 'have' insurance...but this was more trouble than it was worth. We really did not care for their choice of physicians and we spent just as much?

Wow...I think 'we' must have a totally different version of everyone else's VSP plan.....:confused3

We went to the optometrist (one of the plan's guys...NOT my pick of docs at all...long story). My husband had a contact lense exam...I had an exam for glasses. We both wear either or but he needed contact lenses...and my glasses are 4 years old. Anyhow...JUST the exams and my bill was $88.00!!
:eek:

They told me what the dollar amount was that the plan would pay towards contacts and glasses. Unfortunately, we are going to probably Eyemart to purchase those items because its cheaper...to be honest with you...I think the eye exams at Eyemart would have cost us just the same....the little man charged waaay more for exams then Eyemart does...go figure...lesson learned here...just go and pay for it ourselves and skip the VSP plan in the future...how sad...:sad2: Don't get me wrong...I'm very thankful that we 'have' insurance...but this was more trouble than it was worth. We really did not care for their choice of physicians and we spent just as much?

I think we must be on the same plan. I have used them and they were always more expensive for us than just going to a cheaper place and paying for it. DH and I both need new glasses and I am going to price it again and see where we stand, but the last couple of years it was just cheaper to pay for them at wal-mart.

As with any insurance, there are different levels within the VSP plan too. I know we have great coverage through them, because we are told that each and every time we get our glasses. Many of the extras are covered (transitional lenses, anti-glare coating, etc). We find it to be a big savings over not having it. We have a $10 co-pay for annual exams. I don't know off hand the costs for lenses and frames. But there is a substantial savings. My last pair of glasses (not including the exam) would have cost me about $600 if I had walked in off the street and bought them with no coverage. I believe my out of pocket was around $150. I am actually due for a new pair now, so I'll be going through this ritual again shortly.

I've had vision coverage with VSP since around 1988.

We have VSP. There's a 'basic' and a 'premium' plan, based on what we chose for our medical. We've never had any trouble with it. Awhile back it used to be that you could get glasses AND contacts, now it's either or. Here's a plus--this week I had Lasik surgery and they took 15% off since I have VSP--woohoo!!

:surfweb: Hi there! mzlee where did you go to get the eye check up? just wandering as we just got this insurance and we are located in lovely Peoria also!! thanks

Nice to here from a local. We go to Illinois Eye Center on Rte 91. I think they have a nice selection of frames and reasonable.

i have it and it is an AWESOME plan. I quit the job and elected to keep it thru cobra because it is so good. I don't know if benefits vary through employer and company but the one i had was great.

I have worked for VSP for two years now. I can say the number of plans we offer are endless. It goes far beyond there being a basic and premium plan. That may be just what your employer offers but there are literally thousands of different plans VSP offered. It just may be that your employer has two they offer.
One persons plan can be very different from your neighbors, or even your co-workers.
I would be more than happy to answer any questions someone might have....that's pretty much what I do all day since I work in Customer Service.
VSP is the largest vision insurance provider in the US, over half the nation has VSP. The awards we have won pretty much speak for themselves with the quality of products and quality of our customer service.

DH has had the plan for years thru employer

they send us a brochure as to participating opticians/optometrists

for medical reasons DH & I see a surgeon for our needs, however; DS see a regular provider (local independent)

last year i needed a replacement pair in a hurry and the surgeon was backed up/just back from an extended vacation. So i made an appt with the one DSs use.

My glasses came back so messed up, i couldn't see out of them.

Had them re-do them twice; still couldn't see:mad:

called VSP and they interceded on my behalf.:thumbsup2 had me set up an appointment w/reg. dr. to check Rx and glasses - it was waaaay off.

I received most of my co-payment back & I was able to obtain replacement glasses (in the same frame) from my regular doctor.

Another :thumbsup2 for VSP! My DH and I just started with it last year. We got $1000 in services between the two of us last Feb and only paid $50 out of pocket for all of it!!! We pay $11 per pay period, but now we can get our eye exams and new glasses every year if we want! We also save about 1/2 on the current rate for Lasix if we decide to do that.

My impression is that VSP was formed by a bunch of overpriced small opticians to try to keep high pricing.

The VSP site touts staying with VSP-approved opticians. But I've found their prices, AFTER applying the VSP benefits, to be much higher than prices from equally-good mass merchandisers even without VSP benefits.

If you're forced to have a VSP plan, then buy outside their network and make a claim on VSP yourself, and you come out far ahead.

Example: Frame and progressive no-line bifocals in polycarbonate.

1. From Internet provider, and from Visionworks and from Optical Outlet:
$140, of which VSP will pay $140. Nothing to pay out-of-pocket.

2. From VSP-approved optician:
$400, or $320 with VSP discount, of which VSP will pay $150, leaving you $170 to pay out-of-pocket.

The Internet provider sold a much better product - even flex titanium frames. The Visionworks product was the same, and the Optical Outlet very slightly inferior.

We must have had the very bottom plan thru VSP. I hated that it only covered exams/glasses/contacts every other year. With young kids who's eyes change quickly, you have to go in for exams every year. But our coverage amount was decent.

Do you tend to find tghe private smaller drs that go along with them chanrge more?

Here is out vision usage to give you an idea.

I have been using walmart the past 5 years with current plan which we keep either way.

2 kids with glasses. 1 exam a year plus new glasses each year. Eye exam $15, glasses and lenses average $100 and than get reimbursed $50.

pros.. love paying the extra $15 and if my 8yo breaks her frames/lenses they are replaces for free for 1 year (she does that atleast once a year lol)

me: wear contacts and dont even have a current pay of eyeglasses well overdue and need a pair

hubby: is supposed to wear glasses but his broke 3 years ago and never replaces them.. Men lol

Cost will be $11.xx every 2 weeks for the plan.

I am just really concerned about the smaller eye drs and the chance of much higher priced glasses

DH & I had VSP until I cut back on my hours at work. (We both got our exams before it expired though! :rolleyes1 )

Anyway, we went to a independent eye doc with his own practice. The exam fee is more than Wal-Mart charges, but VSP covers regular eye exams at 100%, so we weren't OOP anything. Contact lens exams are a little different & you will have an out of pocket charge there.

You can also get by really cheap on the frames because they give you a certain allowance. You can have zero OOP if you pick from a certain grouping/price point of frame. Its perfect, especially for just a back-up pair of glasses.

DH & I each had our exams, he got new glasses and I got new contacts. I wear pretty expensive daily wear lenses (I'm blind as a bat) and our total was about $200. He chose frames that were above the allowance though - I think they were $200! And my contacts would have been $90 per lens w/o VSP.

I've always been happy with it - hopefully you'll be happy too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter