Anyone Have the Seller Take All of the Time...

DisneyfromDeland

Mouseketeer
This is not my first resale purchase. The other two purchases, the seller returned their initial paperwork as quickly as I did. This time that has not been the case. I'm just wondering, has anyone had the seller take a while to return the initial contract? Has anyone had the seller end up not returning the contract at all?

re: Seller not return the contract at all?

Yes, twice in early 2004. Everything fell through and we started from scratch. I gave up and purchased direct. ;)

The only time I did resale the seller responded promptly, but if this is already into contract I am not sure what you do. I am sure you can back out anytime you want though.

Seller may be in another country and/or selling for many is a real downer so they aren't in a hurry to return docs.

:earsboy: Bill

Seller may be in another country and/or selling for many is a real downer so they aren't in a hurry to return docs.

I would assume if someone was selling when they didn't really just not want to go anymore that they need the money. I would expect that to be the case where they are most quick to sell.

I had one contract where the seller took the full amount of time to return the initial contract. They did get the contract in on the last day, and everything was quick after that. They were in Puerto Rico, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

I would assume if someone was selling when they didn't really just not want to go anymore that they need the money. I would expect that to be the case where they are most quick to sell.

No matter what the reason for selling, emotionally, selling can feel like a failure. People have a hard time getting rid of stuff and they will pay hundreds of dollars per month for a storage unit full of stuff that should donated or thrown away.

Thank you for your replies. The seller is in Florida, or at least that's what the contract says. It has only been two days since my offer was accepted, so I will give it more time. Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing. It's just difficult not to compare this with my previous two experiences.

Mine went through just fine. We had a good seller! That said, I would have tried a few more times before giving up because of the savings.

OP, be sure to put a time frame for each part of the contract.
That is what I did with my resale. Verbal acceptance of offer and counter offer dates, signed contract return date, return of closing documents date, and closing date.

Yep, had a seller to not return their closing papers and no longer take phone calls from the broker. When we hit the "close by" date on the signed contract, we bailed. This was a US seller. We have closed on two contacts with foreign sellers, and both were lightning fast with their documents. Doesn't really matter where they are located, they just need to be motivated to sell.

You have to understand that life doesn't stop because you are selling and buying DVC. We sold one recently where we got a really low offer where I countered but wasn't expecting buyer to go for it. Buyer took 5 days to decide to accept the counter by which time I had assumed buyer had lost interest and my husband had left home on a business trip. So the paperwork had to wait a week for him to get home.

Same when we come to close depending on how long Disney takes for ROFR the closing paperwork may well arrive when I am on a business trip.

It isn't realistic to put a 48 hour Tim limit on everything and expect everyone to be able to do that. Sometimes life gets in the way.

Last edited:
In my case the initial paperwork was returned promptly however the closing ran right up to the last possible day. My money sat in escrow forever waiting for the seller's notorized docs.
It was a divorcing couple, living in different states and they had financed and were only making enough to not have to bring money to the table.
It all worked out but was a real nail biter for me at the time. It's like birth - once you have those lovely points you forget the pain ;)
In some cases sellers actually owe more than they can sell for - so the need to bring money to the table can slow things down.
Good luck.

You have to understand that life doesn't stop because you are selling and buying DVC. We sold one recently where we got a really low offer where I counteres but want expecting buyer to go for it. Buyer took 5 days to decide to accept the counter by which time I had assumed buyer had lost interest and my husband had left home on a business trip. So the paperwork had to wait a week for him to get home.

Same when we come to close depending on how long Disney takes for ROFR the closing paperwork may well arrive when I am on a business trip.

It isn't realistic to put a 48 hour Tim limit on everything and expect everyone to be able to do that. Sometimes life gets in the way.

Thank you for the perspective. I have to realize that life does happen and everyone is not as motivated or impatient as me! I only found it odd because the broker said he spoke to the sellers yesterday to let them know he sent them a revised contract and there was no mention of a delay. I will ultimately just have to exercise patience -- something not in great supply with me.

This contract also has a delayed closing (not by much, but still delayed), so maybe they feel there is no rush to get everything sent in.

That is what I did with my resale. Verbal acceptance of offer and counter offer dates, signed contract return date, return of closing documents date, and closing date.

There is a date by which the contract has to be returned. It's listed as 2/23, so I will just wait it out.

Thank you for the perspective. I have to realize that life does happen and everyone is not as motivated or impatient as me! I only found it odd because the broker said he spoke to the sellers yesterday to let them know he sent them a revised contract and there was no mention of a delay. I will ultimately just have to exercise patience -- something not in great supply with me.

This contract also has a delayed closing (not by much, but still delayed), so maybe they feel there is no rush to get everything sent in.

Yes but my point was a small delay doesn't automatically mean lack of motivation, sometimes it is just logistics

Also I do think you are getting concerned way too early. If sellers only received revised paperwork yesterday, 24 hours is way too quick to have any concerns. My buyers took 5 days to return contract.

I understand it is an emotive purchase for you but for sellers often it is just one more thing on the to do list. Trying to give you a perspective on how sellers feel. I am selling a small contract because I added on at another resort so I no longer need it. I don't have to sell, I could have kept it I just don't need it. When it sells the money will just be going into our savings. so for me signing the paperwork is just another thing I have to do like laundry and cleaning the bathroom. That doesn't mean it doesn't get done it just isn't as prominent in my mind as your purchase will be in yours.

Yes but my point was a small delay doesn't automatically mean lack of motivation, sometimes it is just logistics

Also I do think you are getting concerned way too early. If sellers only received revised paperwork yesterday, 24 hours is way too quick to have any concerns. My buyers took 5 days to return contract.

I understand it is an emotive purchase for you but for sellers often it is just one more thing on the to do list. Trying to give you a perspective on how sellers feel. I am selling a small contract because I added on at another resort so I no longer need it. I don't have to sell, I could have kept it I just don't need it. When it sells the money will just be going into our savings. so for me signing the paperwork is just another thing I have to do like laundry and cleaning the bathroom. That doesn't mean it doesn't get done it just isn't as prominent in my mind as your purchase will be in yours.

Thank you so much for helping me feel better! I really appreciate it. I didn't mean to imply the sellers are unmotivated. I know I am impatient.

Yes

Negotiation 101

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter