Anyone have problems taking their kids outta school for vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BostonRob said:
G00fyDad said:
"puhleeze"? LOL Wow, that was the funniest thing I've seen today.

So dont act like our kids are going to be "learned anythin' lesser" than your children because they miss school for a couple of days.

Well, we're all just going to have to 'agree to disagree'. But you are missing the point that some of us are trying to make. Its not about missed lessons or "learned anythin' lesser" as you put it. It is about following through with obligations and not shirking responsibility.

Of course we are all entitled to parent our own way. But if you are going to laugh at somebody's opionions, you ought to at least grasp their point.
Well I doubt that my child is going to be incredibly warped, have messed up values and shirk responsibility the rest of her life because I take her out of school for a couple of days a year.
Wow. You know what? I would hate to see your house. Does everyone there have to place the milk carton back in the fridge in the exact same place and position as when they got it out?

Let me ask you an honest question here. You dont have to answer. Just think about it:
If you were going to be on vacation (a scheduled vacation) and everything was set and you were ready to go, then your boss called and said "I need you here at the office". Would you tell your family, "Sorry, cant do the vacation thing kids. Got responsibilities at work you know. Maybe we can go next time."? I dont think so. You'd politely tell your boss that you are on vacation and you would go on that vacation. If not then we ALL weep for your children. Because sometimes you need to live a little. I seriously doubt that by taking them out of school for a couple of days is going to do some irreversable damage to their responsibility ideals.

It's very simple. If you feel your cjild can make up work with no trouble, than do it, they probably deserve it. You only get one chance at being a child, and if it means making up two days of school, so what. By the way, would it be better do do it on a school vacation time when the parks are jammed and there are one hour or more lines. Think about it.

DLKT said:
It also never occurred to me that it would "inconvenience" teachers that had to set aside missed lessons for vacationing students.
Well BOO HOO! Too bad! That's your freaking job.
When my employees get back from their vacations, guess what? I have to spend some extra time and effort to get them back up to speed. And I don't get all of July and August off either, babies! :mad:

:rolleyes: Nice.

funshipm174 said:
It's very simple. If you feel your cjild can make up work with no trouble, than do it, they probably deserve it. You only get one chance at being a child, and if it means making up two days of school, so what. By the way, would it be better do do it on a school vacation time when the parks are jammed and there are one hour or more lines. Think about it.
My point exactly! :cool1: :banana: :cool1:

How is it, that as long as my kids are caught up on their schoolwork/exams and continue to be great students, you think they are shirking responsibilties and not following through w/their obligations by missing a few days of school for vacation? Now, if they never made up their homework/exams and did poorly in school, then of course that would be another story.

I know my DD10 will have all two days done on the plane there. She gets her work done everyday before she even gets home. And it's not like it easy work either. The stuff she comes home with staggers me. I just cannot believe what they teach in the 4th grade. However she still manages to get it done before she even gets home. Then I go over it with her and help her understand any mistakes she made and help her correct them.

btw, did you know that they are making kids (here anyway) write essays in the 4th grade and up? Not just little ones either. These have to be well done. Ack!! I didnt have to write my first essay until 8th grade. :(

We are parochial and it is no problem.
DLKT said:
Huh?
What was harsh?
And who was hostile?
Me?
No way.
I ended my post with an "everyone here is smart and does the best for thier kids. I even threw in a group hug smilie!!!
"Persecution"? Who was I persecuting?
Teachers?
Well, maybe I was a little harsh but having to give extra effort was given as one of the reasons that teachers give parents a hard time which has to be one of the weakest excuses I've ever heard.
Conversely I have high esteem for the teachers that work with the parents.

Anyway, sorry to anyone who thought I was over the line.
I was just writing what I think.

I do have another question for everyone though.
Are we talking about public or private schools here with all these restrictions and getting a hard time pulling kids out of class for vacation?
Is it even an issue in private school?
Just wondering.

My daughter goes to a Catholic school and it is not something they approve of. There are many other things that kids that go to public schools can do but her school does not allow and at 5 she already knows these rules.
We have family time every day and Disney is our bonus dream vacation that is being taken while she is off of school because that is how we do things.

My 2 cents....

I am sure I will get flamed and really don't care if I get flamed (I will not reply to those posts) :teeth:

If your child is in Pre-K or Kindergarten and they really do not do anything that would cause the child to miss a precious learning lesson, I'd possibly consider....past that grade-level, no.

I personally would never do this. My child's education is more important to me than a vacation. We are going during June....it will be crowded and hot, but this is the only time I can take my daughter so that she does not miss any school.

bytheblood said:
If your child is in Pre-K or Kindergarten and they really do not do anything that would cause the child to miss a precious learning lesson,

Are you insane?
Kindergarden is where I learned all my pasting dry macaroni to paper skills!!
I shudder to think where I'd be if I missed the week that we did that.
My whole house is wallpapered with dry macaroni.
:rotfl:

cricket429 said:
My daughter goes to a Catholic school and it is not something they approve of. There are many other things that kids that go to public schools can do but her school does not allow and at 5 she already knows these rules.
We have family time every day and Disney is our bonus dream vacation that is being taken while she is off of school because that is how we do things.

I went to catholic school and it doesn't mean everything they have done is the correct way....far from it.

bytheblood said:
My child's education is more important to me than a vacation.

Are you saying that those of us who choose to take our children out of school for a few days place more importance on a vacation over their education? :confused3

"It also never occurred to me that it would "inconvenience" teachers that had to set aside missed lessons for vacationing students.
Well BOO HOO! Too bad! That's your freaking job.
When my employees get back from their vacations, guess what? I have to spend some extra time and effort to get them back up to speed. And I don't get all of July and August off either, babies! :mad:
"

"That's your freaking job."

.....calling teachers "babies?"

Yikes! Can you feel the love tonight?

I think that most teachers have the wellbeing of the child (and their other students) uppermost in their minds...not how much more work your vacation is costing them. Please don't get vicious.

funshipm174 said:
I went to catholic school and it doesn't mean everything they have done is the correct way....far from it.

(Careful, and that's not my question anyway.)

Yes, but you "went" to Catholic school.
You weren't the parent paying the bill.
I was wondering if private schools gave the person signing the check problems with vacation during school time.

Or if it was a kind of "hey, you're paying for it. Do what you want" type of attitude.

LSUDis said:
"That's your freaking job."

.....calling teachers "babies?"

Yikes! Can you feel the love tonight?

I think that most teachers have the wellbeing of the child (and their other students) uppermost in their minds...not how much more work your vacation is costing them. Please don't get vicious.

You must have missed my followup back on page 7 of this thread message #93.

DLKT said:

I was wondering if private schools gave the person signing the check problems with vacation during school time.

Or if it was a kind of "hey, you're paying for it. Do what you want" type of attitude.

I'm the one signing the check, and believe me, they don't hold back their disapproval-frowned upon would be a huge understatement. I happen to agree with them on this one, so it isn't a problem for me.

DLKT said:

It didn't matter. My parents did what was best for me and my sister and we turnes out o.k. ( I hope my two aunts who are nuns aren't reading this!)

DLKT said:
.........I do have another question for everyone though.
Are we talking about public or private schools here with all these restrictions and getting a hard time pulling kids out of class for vacation?
Is it even an issue in private school?
Just wondering.

Grades 1-5: public school
Grade 6: private school

There are no official restrictions at this school. The teachers would work with me if my daughter had to miss school for an extended period during the regular school sessions. The pace at this school is more accelerated than that of the public school my daughter attended. We go to WDW fairly often (are in the midst of planning our regular August trip), so pulling her out of school for a WDW trip is not likely. She was out last week for three days after having caught a cold bug at school. The teachers were great in having a homework packet for me to pick up after school so that she could keep up with her school work. I wanted to throttle the parent who brought in their sick, feverish kid, who then infected most of the class. However, that's a whole 'nother thread/topic. ;)

I am not saying that Catholic schools do everything the correct way. If you had read all of the posts, it had stated in an earlier post whether private schools were more lenient on this subject. I answered that regarding our school. And yes, I write the check and choose to raise our daughter knowing the value and committment of an education.

Ack!! The squabbling makes me feel like I'm back in elementary school! :crazy:

Let's gradute to civilized post-grad school and start playing nice again, shall we?

Thanks! :sunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter