Anyone have any fear....

Security can't deter someone determined on destruction....
Sure it can, especially when considering a specific target, like WDW. If it couldn't, we'd have planes flying into buildings on a daily basis. It can't provide a 100% iron-clad guarantee, but it is possible to deter would-be attackers, and diminish the number of attacks they can pull off.

As a society, we just aren't willing to accept that level of security right now. (Forgive me if that's exactly what you meant...)

I can appreciate the "I'm not changing my life or plans to live in terror" thing but, wouldn't it be prudent to avoid Disney during this orange alert? I'm not saying to live in fear for the rest of our lives but since we ARE at orange alert and since Disney themeparks were mentioned specifically by officials, shouldn't we err on the side of caution? Shouldn't the space shuttle engineers have taken the foam striking the tiles on take-off a little more seriously? That was another example of a warning being brushed aside in hopes that "everything would be okay" and it turned out that it was not okay. I'm not saying that we should avoid Disney forever but maybe we should avoid it at LEAST until this terror alert is over. I'm going back and forth about this between "ain't no terrorists gonna control my life" to looking at my kids and thinking how terrible I would feel if something DID happen when I had had all of these warnings.

Roy

No waffling here. I'm avoiding crowds especially during periods of high alerts and peak crowd times...If some folks are braver than me thats ok, but my kids best interests comes first. Our goverment has chosen the route of antagination, and if we start a war, instigation knowing full well that our lives will be changed forever with the fallout (no pun intended). If daily, weekly, monthly or yearly terrorist attacks become commonplace in this country you can believe that my lifestyle will change accordingly.

Disney handles security quite well and much better than the commonly perceived bag checks might indicate (the bag checks are a diversion folks), but still they won't be able to handle a nut case with a chemical who doesn't care about escaping.

I'm not avoiding Disney during this alert or any other. I feel like the terrorists could strike at any time alert or not, and I'm going to continue to live the way I want to. My whole family intends to do this in fact. Would our nation learn of every threat in time to issue an alert anyway? Is reacting to every perceived threat going to keep us safe?

Maybe I'm playing the odds a bit too much but I just don't want to live in fear and avoid a place that makes me so happy. I respect those who are more cautious though, I can certainly understand their reasoning.

I can appreciate the "I'm not changing my life or plans to live in terror" thing but, wouldn't it be prudent to avoid Disney during this orange alert?
I guess if its a go now or go in two weeks situation, yeah, maybe it would make sense to wait. But for most of us, trips are planned in advance, and I can't see cancelling a trip because of it.

Depending on where you live, whether you use bridges, where you work, whether you take public transportation, etc, you might actually be safer at WDW!

There are nothing but bridges and tunnels everywhere where I live that you must to use if you want to get anywhere. We also live 30 minutes from the largest navel base on the East Coast and 40 minutes from a nuclear power plant. Am I scared to go to Disney?... heck no! I would probably be a whole lot better off!

That being said... you have to do what you feel is best for your family, and only you know what that is. If you feel that now is not a prudent time to be taking a vacation, then that just gives you more time to save up for when you do deem it in your best interests. I am glad that not everyone feels that way, or tourism as we know it will cease to exist, laying off many more people and causing more of a crisis with the economy overall. We have to look at all sides of the picture, and make our decisions accordingly.

Actually, I just got back last night from DW. While I was there I heard on the news that we have raised our alert status. The thought crossed my mind that DW might be a prime target for an attack but I refused to let it ruin my vacation. Well, I walk in the door of my house in Roanoke, VA and I turn on the news and they are reporting about a sepcific threat to our town. For those of you who don't know where Roaonke is, let me tell you that it is nowhere and there is absolutely nothing here. I guess what I'm trying to say is: something could happen anywhere. I have children and I do not want them to grow up afraid. We've already started planning our next trip to DW!:smooth:

:mad: :eek: :( this is all so frightening. Living in upstate NY, the Twin Towers was always a place I went as a child, not home, but close enough. The terrorists are all over, according to the news, and we already KNOW, they are in Flordia. I am torn what to do, how scared to be. When bioterroism hits, no plastic over your windows will work, homes are not air tight, what will be will be. How can we lie our lives on the edge, all the time. it will be impossible, so I agree with the others, JUST LIVE YOUR LIFE. Only GOD knows what the future holds. I just came back from Disney 2/5/03, nothing was different than when I went 9/28/01, that I could tell. I will go again, 9/03, and then after that. But I'll admit, I'm a little scared, but I will go. I'm also scared of driving in very bad storms, and I still go to work in the winter.:Pinkbounc

I think Disney is too spread out for terrorists. What would they hit? The castle? The tree of life? There's a lot of area that's spread out so in order to hit everyone what exactly would they do? Drop chemicals from a plane? Well I hope Disney security monitors who flies over their airspace. How many people would the terrorists get and how could they be sure?

I agree that Disney security is only there to make US feel better that Something is being done.

I also think if they targeted a place like Disney where people from all over the world bring their children it would only serve to unite the world with us.

I feel far less safe riding the MBTA into Boston.

Right now Orlando has a great big sign posted on its back "Hit Me" aimed at possible attacks of terrorism.
While automatic rifle toting NYPD are stationed on the streets of NYC and anti-air missles are in DC PLUS the recent blizzard up in the northeast it makes acts of terrosism less likely there, it redirects them towards targets of easier opportunity.

On the other hand if there were National Guard positioned at WDW would you have any fear about traveling to the parks?

Our annual family WDW vacation was totally cancelled this year because its just like recent events of the Columbia tragedy, they knew the danger, they did nothing about it, and it happened.....

Would I visit the parks after assurances of security, lowered prices of rooming, less crowds? Yes, we did that after 9/11. Originally we had bought a 10 day family resort stay inside the park, over $4,000 worth, immediately after 9/11 I cancelled it and got our refund. In the next couple of weeks we were able to get better lodging at a vacation home rental, better airfare and less crowds during the visit in Dec. 2001, overall we saved over $1,500.

Our next visit depends on weather terriorism has cooled down or if security has increased at WDW, until then I would rather protect my family by avoiding such a high risk area.

I would love to see or at least hear of rumors that there is a security force of Marines or National Guard at SOG, I'm willing to bet there actually is.... ;)

Originally posted by Mr D
I would love to see or at least hear of rumors that there is a security force of Marines or National Guard at SOG, I'm willing to bet there actually is.... ;)
Hey ... you think those IllumiNations lasers are just for show? ;)

I did find it interesting, though, that you would consider a visit to Disney World after assurances of security, but also "lowered prices of rooming and less crowds." If crowds and prices were at normal levels, but you had assurances of security, would you bring the family down, or would you need all three things in order to schedule the trip? It just seemed like an odd statement to me.

And I don't think you can compare something like Columbia to the terrorist threat. People walk onto the space shuttle assuming a legitimate risk. They know that something catastrophic could go wrong, yet they choose to board anyway. If you want a direct comparison, the same could be said of getting in a car. You get in your car every day assuming a legitimate risk. Something catastrophic could go wrong, yet you choose to drive.

When you're talking about a terrorism threat that is unspecified and unnamed, but hinted of, you're talking about a risk, sure. But because no one has any concrete info on what the targets might be, entering the gates of WDW isn't any more of a risk than getting on the subway or driving across a bridge or going to the mall. But the press says "Walt Disney World" just once, and people start cancelling vacations.

:earsboy:

What makes me willing to return to WDW on at least a yearly basis with family from 5600 miles away? Something new like MS, great rates on lodging like the $66 a night at a rental home just after 9/11, a free ticket from NW because of also the 9/11 tourism problems.

Day after day I rarely see any positive news about Disney, nothing from sources off the beaten web track about better security. Or better morale at the parks.

I do have some military intelligence background many years ago.

As far as WDW being too big for a terrorist to attack....its just been released that Hamaas is experimenting with radio controlled model aircraft for flying bombs, thats interesting because my hobby is building 1/4 scale R/C aircraft, 9' wingspans, 35cc engines and able to use live video camera feed, plus a payload, it would be easy for a terrorist to have the same thing with biotoxins such as smallpox, anthrax, ricin or any other contagion even mustard gas and fly the aircraft or several of them all over WDW dispursing the stuff.

Mostly I firmly believe Eisner cares less about the public, if WDW was attacked he would probably leave with his latest bonus for S. America so aqll of Disney's mistakes in the last couple of years from DCA to Atlantis just sorta adds up to a big negative appeal sign to me, maybe in a couple more years or when all the terror threats have died down will our family return, till then diehards still chasing dreams can go back there.

So far I've only heard people talking about WDW being a possible target, and the safety of the people who visit. But so far not one person has taken into consideration the thousands of people who work at WDW and are there day after day, weather the country is on high alert or no alert what so ever. These cm's go to work day after day, because they enjoy being there and they know how important it is to the millions of visitors each year that visit the parks to the have the most magical vaction possible. If everyone at WDW lived in fear it would go from the happiest place on earth to the scariest place on earth. instead of beinf a magic kingdom, it would be more like fort knox or a prison.

My husband and I were in WDW on Sept 11 during our honeymoon. We went back a year later to WDW during the 1st anniversary of 9/11 to celebrate our 1st wedding Anniversary.

We are going again this Saturday for a week.

terrorism is about a few hits that make MANY people terrifed.

Am I worried It could happen, part of me is yes. But do I think it's going to happen, no.

We aren't going to let them scare us from going to our favourite vacation destination.

And we live in a remote Canadian City where there is little no NO chance of us being hit here.

I worked at the resorts throughout the fall, and although I wasn't security (I was quick service food if you care) we were told to watch out for suspicious people or behavior. Not that this would really do anything, or that it's anything special since all citizens are supposed to be doing the same thing, but it just shows that the company does think about it. I worked in the resorts, so I didn't feel too at risk, but I think if I worked in Cosmic Rays or some high traffic type food area I would have felt more alarmed. I was a little worried about suicide bombers similar to those in Israel and they seem to target food areas where a bunch of people are gathered.

Sorry, but I'd be a heck of a lot happier if I died at WDW, or Vegas, or somewhere else having fun instead of locked up in my duct tape and plastic covered apartment.

I work at Ground Zero. I was there that day. I saw things that were not ever shown on television. I walk to my office every morning (one block north of Ground Zero) remembering that morning.

As horrible as it was (and you have no idea), I refuse to let any terrorist keep me from going about my daily life. It just ain't going to happen.

For anyone reading this: Live life today. Love your family. Hug your kids. Pet your animals.

And if you're planning on visiting WDW, don't let nuthin' keep you from doing so.

Peace.

AMEN.

I have my tickets, I have my reservations and I have my freedom. I intend to fly to Orlando as always in a couple of weeks.

Just FYI, I was there last summer and had saw something suspicious and called on a phone. I had security there, hotel management etc. and they were taking what I told them quite seriously. The situation was resolved when we were all clear on what the situation was (without going into detail).

Because of this action on my part I was dismayed that my daughter was left standing in the rain on Main St. waiting for me. They said they could get me there faster than I could get myself there (with parking etc) so I went in a Disney van. I thought we'd be able to drive right up the the MK, but no, we had to park at the kennel and take the monorail. He said if I were not with him he could go in but even he could not take someone that was not a CM past the newly established external barriers. He rode the monorail with me, retrieved my daughter, took the monorail back with us (closing lines and all) and drove us back in the van.

The point is, there is a lot of security measures in effect that we don't see and we don't know about.

Personally I believe these terrorists to be the lowliest of the low and I think they will strike in places where we are not expecting it like malls, supermarkets, school events.

I refuse to live in fear because of those *******s. My daughters dream is to be a CM at AK and I'm still encouraging her to follow that dream.

There are young men sitting in Kuwait as I type waiting for orders and here we are typing away about fears about visiting Disney World? We owe it to ourselves and them to keep the home fires warm, fun and magical for their return. Not to live like we're under siege.

If you think the only security measures at WDW are the visible ones, then take a backstage tour. You would be amazed at the amount of security there is, with cameras, non-uniformed security etc. They actually have opne of the best security forces there is.

Are amusement parks targets? Probably because their profiles are high...but there are other targets that would work much better for their purposes. I would think terrorists would go after those targets because the profiles are high, casualties would be high, economic damage could be significant... The only thing disney gets you is the high profile...people are pretty spread out, economic damage would be regional.

Now if their situation becomes desparate and they choose suicide over losing their cause...then Disney becomes more of a logical target.

By the way I'm being deliberately vague about potential targets...I think our news media does the country a huge disservice when they speculate on possibilities...you never know what someone may not have thought of yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter