Anyone have a Kindle?

Dh bought me a Kindle last Nov for my birthday and I love it!

I have no desire for an IPad since all I want to do is read. I have travelled with the Kindle and it was so easy to download books. It is my fear to be caught somewhere and have reading material available.

We have both a kindle and a sony ereader at our house 9love both of them). I put my foot down and wouldn't let DH buy an ipad. I mean come one we have the kindle, ereader, blackberries, he's got a laptop AND an itouch... he doesn't NEED an ipad.

I have the Kindle DX, and I love it. But, that costs about the same as the iPad, so if I was buying NOW, I would look closely at both. While the Ipad has internet, where you type on the touch screen (right?) I do not think I would LIKE that.

I have a MacBook right now, no more PCs for me, so the iPad interests me as a very happy Apple customer. But, I think i only want the my eBook for reading, so Kindle is good enough...... and I do LOVE IT! I increased the font so I can read without my reading glasses, great for reading in bed. (hard with progressive glasses to read laying down).

The WSJ had a piece a few weeks ago comparing the eye strain between reading the Kindle and the Ipad and found no evidence that one was better than the other.
But there is a big difference. The Kindle is much easier to read in bright sunlight and the Ipad is backlit and easier to read in dark places. Depending on where you plan to read (outdoors or in bed), this may tilt you towards one or the other. The good thing is you will probably be very happy with either! -- Suzanne

Funny, my eyes must not have read that article... :lmao:

Seriously, after 30 minutes of reading on my computer or Iphone I have a headache. I can read on my Kindle for hours.

My company picked up the tab for mine and I had the choice. I went with the kindle. I already have an iphone so I just wanted a book. It's easy to read; it's light and fits in my handbag with ease for travel. I've read 3 books iwthout charging the battery; another nice feature when traveling.

Seriously, after 30 minutes of reading on my computer or Iphone I have a headache. I can read on my Kindle for hours.

Me, too! I cannot read on a backlit screen for more than about half an hour before my vision feels blurry. I can read on my Kindle for hours and not have any impact on my vision. I think this will be a personal preference but if a backlit screen does give you a problem no amount of additional iPad bells and whistles will make it the right ereader for you.

Having said that, I'd LOVE an iPad to complement my Kindle Dx - the Kindle for pleasure reading of novels and the iPad for everything else - especially magazines!! That's what I'd really, really like - The New Yorker and Vanity Fair (OK, and People!!) on the iPad in full color so I can read them, store them, and not have the paper clutter that comes with having a paper subscription.

This is what I'd really like -an iPad for magazines and web browsing when traveling, a Kindle for everyday pleasure reading, the occasional hardback or paperback book for the beach or when I can't find something in electronic form, and an iPod for music and recorded books.

Hmm, I already have all of those except the iPad...I feel a shopping trip coming on!

The article was published in the WSJ on 4/1/10 and is entitled Screens and Eyestrain by GEOFFREY A. FOWLER. You may need a subscription to read it online. The conclusion:

"Some people who also have what's known as contrast sensitivity can have trouble with an e-paper screen, like the Kindle, where text looks like a dark shade of gray on top of a light shade of gray, says Mary Lou Jackson, director of vision rehabilitation at Harvard's Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. For those people, Dr. Jackson says "hands down I would vote for the iPad."

For most people, says Dr. Jackson, the difference between screens ultimately boils down to subtle personal preferences. "Why do you like brown sunglasses and I like orange?" she asks. "It's related to the fact that you see a little differently than I do.""

-- Suzanne

I can actually read the kindle longer then I can read a regular book. Also for the iPad try turning the backlighting down when reading.

I have the same problem. I get a HUGE headache if I read on the computer too long!

I can actually read the kindle longer then I can read a regular book. Also for the iPad try turning the backlighting down when reading.

I will lose so much time if I have my Kindle. Way more time than if I have a book:confused3 Have no idea why though.

We are still considering getting an IPAD though for travel and an easy computer to take with me to class. And of course, TO DISNEY!:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter