Anyone have a Casita? Alternatives to a Casita? Needs to be towed by a V6

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
Hello all! We are now in the market for our first camper. We are a tent-loving family of 5 that needs a little more gear for our trips. We would like to have a camper that sleeps 4 (so we would probably have to do the Casita (or Parklander?) with bunk beds. We just want a very basic kitchen, a basic bathroom, and some additional storage beyond what our vehicle offers. We want to start with something that can be towed with a V6 engine. (We have a Ford Flex right now but expect to upgrade to something a little bit bigger later.)

We did the tenting and flying thing on two of our 12-night trips to the Fort, but now it's time for a camper. (We'll probably sleep outside in the tent anyway, because we love hearing the sounds of WDW late at night (love hearing the water pageant!)

We were tent camping at the Fort during the unexpected big freeze of 2010, and it was really rough. It would have been great to have had small camper, even if we all had to squeeze into it, just to keep warm. Same thing for unexpected storms, or one kid getting sick, etc.

We figure we can fit two on the double, one in each bunk, and dh can sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor area of it if we're desperate. He's a pretty avid wild/rough camper, so he's happy to sleep outside in pretty much any condition. We'd always bring our big family tent and probably two one-man tents as well.

Long story short, if anyone has any tips or thoughts on the Casita or any alternatives that are lightweight and compact, they would be greatly appreciated. The long-term dream is a refurbished vintage Airstream, but for now, this is just right for the budget and our family's needs. However, if anyone has thoughts or feedback on these lightweight campers, I'm really interested to know!

Thanks!

VP

Violet,

The Casitas are a fiberglass shell type of trailer. True, they aren't very big and are light weight. Given about how you went on to describe you want to use tents anyway, not sure why you want/need a travel trailer. So I'm a little confused.

I've seen folks camp at the Fort who had a personalized cargo trailer to haul their camping stuff. You could carry a nice camp kitchen table with a nice propane stove and even a propane oven. It could carry a small microwave oven. Put cots, extra propane tanks, a portalet maybe with a privacy tent around it, etc. DH could customize the interior for storage of extra extension cords, screened rooms, etc. and everything else you want to carry. Use it to haul stuff to your campground, then pull everything out and set it up once you are there. When it's time to go home, pack it up and haul it home. It sounds like the storage/carrying capacity issue is your biggest issue and not wanting to get off the ground per se.

I took a picture of a setup on a trip to the Fort:

When you are home everything could stay stored in the cargo trailer so you could just grab it and go when you want. I just bought a 2009 Ford Flex last month for DS#2 at college and it only has a 2,000 lb tow capacity IIRC (w/o a pkg) but I bet you could put a small hitch and ball on it to pull one of these cargo trailers.

Since you are intending to still tent even if you had a trailer, I'd offer this method of camping as an alternative.

Bama Ed

PS - we carried electric blankets and mattress warmers underneath for cold weather when we were in our popup. A cargo trailer has plenty of room for electric blankets and extension cords, etc. Just sayin'....

We have a Dutchman 815 that we have pulled with our Nissan Murano, which we had a tow package added to. We now pull it with a Ford F-150. The Dutchman has bunk beds & the kitchen table turns into a queen bed. There is a small bathroom with shower. There are three of us & we enjoy it.

Since you enjoy tent camping, Bama Ed's suggestion sounds like it would work for you.

Have you guys ever considered a pop-up camper? Some are heavier than others depending on size, but they are compact. It may be like a game of Tetris, but I can pack A LOT of stuff into our camper. I have clothing bins, food bins, camping chairs, camp stove, cooler plus more all situated in the floor space. Plus, with the canvas, you can still hear the water pageant. :goodvibes

Hi all,

Thanks. Yes, we've considered some other options such as a pop up, etc. The bathroom, however, is one of the biggest selling points for us. We would also like for it to have a place to sit in the a/c when getting back from the parks on a hot day, etc.

While we love tent camping, we do not like setting up a camp kitchen, stoves, etc. We want to get to our destination, put the tent up and get going. We felt like something like a Casita would give us that little extra storage boost (we don't take bikes and lots of stuff with us when we camp, and because of our lack of storage space either flying or in our flex, we don't even take camp chairs and just stick with the camp-provided picnic table.

Basically we're looking to upgrade to something with a few more options in bad weather (the a/c is part of the appeal) with somewhere comfortable to sleep when someone needs a bed or a better night of sleep or is under the weather, etc.

So while we like to sleep under the stars, we would like to have a small camper just to give us a little indoor space and spots to sleep.

I mentioned that we will likely still use tents because on another forum I asked about Casitas and several people said it would be too small to fit all of us at once. So I thought I'd throw that out there, because we decided we really don't want/need a huge camper just yet, but we want something a little more than tenting. We've gotten sick while camping before and a camper would give us a place of a little extra comfort if that were to happen again, or so we figured.

We looked at pop ups, but we opted against them. Just an aesthetic preference. :) Storage trailer is just not what we're looking for. (Can't hop into the storage trailer to sit and relax and play a game of cards, kwim?)

Thanks for the tips/advice!

VP

WOAH. I love all of those! I didn't know hybrids like that r-pod and existed. (This is why I asked y'all!) Now my husband is going to be so annoyed. I usually pick out what I want and then he gets tired of hearing about it so he just says yes. Now he has three more trailers to look at. They all look more comfortable than the Casita. I'm really partial to the bubble shape of the Casita and Airstreams, but these look like they use space way better than the Casita does. I'm really drawn to that r-pod and its egg shape. Hmm, lots to think about! Thanks!

VP

I have looked at the rpods for fun... The layout options are amazing.... Looks like a great design!

I've always said that when I retire I'm going to sell RVs. I just love looking at them and learning about them!

Here's one more that I think will give you tons of space, all the bunks you need, is within your weight limits, but doesn't have that funky look you seem to like: http://www.livinlite.com/camplite21bhs-overview.php

Thanks! I think I'm probably going to have to sacrifice that vintage look for something that is a good fit functionally.

Thanks for sharing all of these options. I had a feeling I had more options out there that I just didn't know about.

Never thought I'd be RV shopping, but it is super fun!

VP

I looked at R-pods about 6 or 7 weeks ago...they are amazing looking, but IMHO not very functional. Very little storage and I don't like the wet baths. Like you, I was looking for something small and light weight. The hybrids with bunks on both ends are the most functional of the smaller trailers, I think; you have lots of living space because the beds are "outside". They even make one with a third bunk on the street side. They also have a 3 piece bath and more storage. BTW, after looking at about 2 dozen small campers, we ended up buying a 30 foot Class A :rolleyes: But, we tend to go for a week or more at a time, so really love the space and storage. Good luck on your search!

We looked at RPods several years ago, but what turned us off was the putsy awnings. After messing with an awning with poles and guy lines with our Aliner I wanted something that I could just pull out and retract. But otherwise we thought they were pretty cool.

At that time we ultimately bought a Gulfstream Visa (which has been renamed the Vista line) - our 23 footer would probably have been too much for you to tow, but you might want to look at some of the other floorplans: http://gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/visa/overview.php

...Like you, I was looking for something small and light weight. The hybrids with bunks on both ends are the most functional of the smaller trailers, I think; you have lots of living space because the beds are "outside". They even make one with a third bunk on the street side. They also have a 3 piece bath and more storage...

Exactly why we went from our popup to a hybrid and loved it! The best of both worlds, loved being able to "turtle up" when needed, still be able to use it on the road, the bathroom, etc. Our popup has a bathroom but you can't use it when traveling unless popped up of course.

I was completely resistant to popups and would not buy one even though the van we had at the time had a V6 and we were very limited. I didn't think I'd feel safe in it or wants the kids sleeping in it. I was so wrong. When we bought the camper van, I initially bought the popup to haul our luggage, for the awning, shower, (van only had toilet and sink), and as kind of an add a room type thing for the camper van. It was only $750 and fit the bill for all those things. Had no idea I would fall in love with the very thing I had avoided all those years LOL!

Loved the popup so much that when we went to a bigger camper, we got a hybrid so I wouldn't lose the bunkends I thought I hated but ended up loving. We have a bunkhouse now that I could live in full time and it's my favorite but.....we still kept the popup :laughing:

Violet, I really wanted a Casita at the time too, just couldn't find one in our area, other egg type campers to search for are Trillium, Burro, Boler, Fiber Stream, Scamp, and U-haul (made campers in the 80s)

https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom.html
http://www.trilliumtrailers.com/
http://www.reachoo.com/ads/224615620
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/node/1019
http://bolerama.org/Bolerama/Welcome.html
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...el-trailer-amazing-shape-and-condition-4-sale

Eriba Pucks are nice too if you can find one in the states
http://www.automotiveleisure.co.uk/page12.html

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter