Anyone has this problem-Canon power shot?

yeahdisney

DIS Veteran
Our Canon power shot A510 does not like to turn on AT ALL. I can power it up and look at past pictures taken. But as soon as I want to take a picture it shuts itself off, flashing new batteries. The batteries are newly charged. And I tried brand new ones. I only took this camera one one disney trip, it has not been used a lot. I did not buy insurance, therefore I cannot send it to be fixed. I am going to go to a camera store and ask them if they have any ideas. But before I get to go to the store, dis friends, anyone else experience this and have a easy fix? Thanks

Try erasing the battery terminals in the camera. I have a powershot that turns off when I try to view pictures or transfer from camera to computer. Erasing the terminals helps sometimes. Its very frustrating because it takes great pictures but it is not holding up over time.

Hi Not to hog in on a tread but I have a Nikon and it is stuck with the lens open but will now not turn on or off...the zoom type lens is half open...anyone had this problem...and by erase do you mean just take a pencil eraser and use that? sorry to be so dense. :goodvibes

Yeah just use a clean pencil eraser on the top and bottom where you would put the batteries in.

Thank you but unfortunatey that was not it. If the person going to the camera store finds out anything I would appreciate an up date. This camera was working fine and put away, then taken out to use at Christmas and would not turn on or off. Thank you all. Carol:goodvibes

well for starters, did anyone drop the camera lately? I have a canon 520 and it did the same thing, but it was stuck with the lens on. Well I was just about to pitch it, (its my first digital camera , so its a few years old) and i shook it real hard one last time and WALLA!!! it closed the lens and went back on and it still works perfectly as the day we got it!!!! The only bad thing about digital cameras are that they r so tempermental (we have 4 digital cameras!)
If you have to get a new one, I would highly recommend the olympus shock, it is a digital underwater camera, I saw someone using it in the Grand Caymen in the water with the stingrays and I fell in love with it! My husband surprised me with it for Christmas and I cannot wait til it gets warmer here in Phillly so we can go to the beach to check it out!-Either that or go someplace warm in FEB! LOL

Don't even get me started on Canon's quality issues and their unwillingness to admit them (just read my post on the photography board regarding my A610 problem).:furious:

It seems as if I've read some other cases similar to yours but I'm not sure on which Canon models. I would go to Amazon and the dpreview.com forums and do a search for your camera type and you might come across people having the same problem as you are. Just don't count on Canon repairing it for free unless your model type is listed on one of their service advisories regardless if there are other cameras NOT on the service advisory that are having the exact same problem!!:mad:

Have you had it less than a year? If so, it should still be covered under warranty.

We have the same problem with our Canon-I always bring a back up camera. Its a shame as we really liked the ease and photos it takes.

Does anyone have the canon sd870is? I am thinking about buying it after reading the great reviews in the internet.

I recharged the batteries again (like the fifth time) and now it works! I had DD take as many pictures as she wanted today (over 100) and it still is working. I put the other 2 batteries in my Nikon and it says exhausted batteries. The rechargable are from the same bunch I think 3 years old if not four. So my plan is to go buy new rechargables as DH shared-yes they do eventually go bad. My plans at disney is to share the cameras, each parent shares one with a child, then we erase what we don't like-blurry etc. The last throw aways only 1 picture turned out. We don't rush our days so we can take the time to help them snap a picture. Thanks. Jeanne B I do plan on going to amazon and reading up on my canon there, this is not the first time this camera has failed. The first was at CRT when Cinderalla was at the table. Again thanks.

I had the same problem with my rechargeable batteries. I think they were 2 1/2 years old and just wouldn't charge up all the way. I made sure I ran them all the way down and still had issues. I just gave up and bought s pacl of the made for digital camera batteries. Not as eco friendly, I know but I was tired of being frustrated about batteries all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter