Anyone had to give up any "beauty rituals"

Jill2150

Mouseketeer
in order to cut spending?

Anything you refuse to give up?

For example, I used to get pedicures every 5-6 weeks or so, but last week I used my own pedicure set and painted my own toes. While it's just not the same as going, it looks good and it's saving me $35.

On the other hand, I do get my hair colored/highlighted and trimmed every 8 weeks or so which I do not want to give up. I do have a friend that does it so I get a very good deal.

Anyone else cutting back or going to do-it-yourself?

I've always done my own hair coloring. Well, I did have it done professional once, and it turned out safety orange. :scared1: It's so easy to do, and gives good results, so I don't see the point of wasting hundreds of dollars to have somebody else do it.

I've never had a professional mani/pedi in my life. I don't like being touched by strangers, and it's just not on my list of priorities. I'd much rather save the money.

Pedicures 2x/month ($50/mo includes tip)
Massage 1x/mo ($85/mo includes tip)
Haircut 1x/mo ($52/mo includes tip)
Hilights every other month ( prorated to $30/mo includes tip)

Yikes, over $200/mo at this point. :scared1:I really have cut down where I can. I get my pedicures at a place that discounts them to $20 on Sundays, so that's when I go. For my massages, the spa I frequent offers 20% off gift cards 2x each year, so I load up my card and get 20% off each massage. One of my employees does my hilights every other month and she only charges $45; with tip I pay $60 which is about half the going salon rate around here. In the winter, when my toes are covered, I cut back to once a month pedicures. I really have no desire to do any of these things myself. For now, my budget allows for this spending, but if I ever need to cut back this is the first place in my budget that I would cut, and I would cut out the massage and pedicures altogether.

I haven't given anything up. My stuff is pretty low cost:

Once a month pedicure = $20.00
Haircut/6 weeks = $16.00
Highlights/Cut every 3 months = $60.00

I went back to school full time 2 years ago, and I was pretty high maintenance prior. I have since given up almsot everything. And occassionally I miss things, but mostly I am glad I had the intervention. lol. I will never go back to wasting so much money.

I will not give up eye brow waxing, I tried to do it myself and ended up looking "surprised" until they grew back. I pay 10 bucks to have it done and I tip 3 bucks. Worth every penny.

I now dye my own hair, went from $225ish every 6 weeks at the salon to $20 every 8 weeks or so. I still get my trims done at the salon, I spend $30.

I used to have artificial gel nails, spend $30 bucks every other week, plus repairs for any broken nails. I have to tell you I LOVE having my own nails now! I got some Brucci nail hardner at Sallys Beauty for 4.99 & one of those 4 way nail file squares ($2) and my nails look and feel so much better now! No more sitting at a salon waiting for them to dry. I HATED that part.

Pedicures, used to get them 1 or 2 times a month at 35 + tip. Do my own now. Not quite the same, but again, worth the savings. If I have a vacation or special occasion I might get one.

I used to get facials every so often. I still do, but instead of the spa for 80+ I now go to the beauty school for $20, and not very often just when my skin needs it.

I now cut DH's hair.

As for me, I never went and got pedi's or mani's and only get my hair cut if it's absolutely necessary.

Never had any to give up I guess.
Get my hair cut 4-6 times a year (about $15 each time).
Never had a pedi, although I'll paint my own for special occasions.
I have fabulous nails - they grow fast and are very strong - my one feature I take pride in. I've gotten quite good at doing them myself over the years. DD got my nails! Yeah! She is a pretty good manicurist as well.
I had my hair colored a couple times around 30 when the grey first showed up. Then I did it myself for a few years. Now that I'm almost 40 it doesn't bother me as much, so I haven't colored in a while. I really only have a couple grey strands. I'm not sure why it bothered me so much back then. :confused3

I've never had a professional mani/pedi in my life. I don't like being touched by strangers, and it's just not on my list of priorities. I'd much rather save the money.

THANK YOU!!! Nobody I know seems to get this! I do...not...want..strangers fondling any part of me...including my feet. Plus, i think it's silly to pay $25 or more to have someone paint my toenails...I've done it for myself for free all my life! Besides my dh gives a KILLER foot massage. :)

You'll have to pry my mani-pedi appointment from my cold, dead (yet nicely done) hands! :lmao:

The only thing I've changed is that I meant to get my hair color done by a pro starting this year. I just can't see spending $65 when I can spend $15 and do it myself. And I'm not good but I am satisfied with it.

I do get my hair cut on the studio lot where I work. It is $45 or so and sometimes I add in a massage. But not often.

I spend big $$$ on skin care, makeup, and body product, but hair and nails don't interest me much. I get my hair cut about 4 times a year, and colored twice a year when I am brunette, 6 times a year when blonde (going back to blonde in Oct). I paint my own toes, and can't wear polish or acrylic to work (hospital). I was getting facials twice a year, but the spa closed last month for lack of business. But my hairdresser and aesthetician are both close personal friends from high school, so whatever I have done is discounted.

I've never established any beauty rituals to give up. I'm too cheap in that way.

I haven't had my hair cut since before Thanksgiving 2008. I'm thinking that I really should. I just wear it in a ponytail all the time, so I'm not sure why I would bother. I've noticed though, that with the ragged ends, even my pony tails are getting tangled. I'm debating taking the scissors to it myself, but that seems like my arms would get tired.:rotfl: I have a lot of hair!

The problem is I normally get a cut when I visit my mom. Lately, she's been coming my way, so I don't even know where I would go to get a cut. And I need to find someone who knows how to cut hair when there's a LOT of hair, otherwise it's such a waste of spent money.

I only get mani/pedi if my mom is treating and we are doing a spa day. Otherwise, I do my own toes for special occasions. I always think that I would like nice nails, but I do to much with my hands. Polish doesn't last AT ALL. So, again, spending feels like such a waste.

I cut my DH's hair. I have since college, so almost 20 years now... This is part of my issue with spending money on myself. I can't quite put the feeling into words, but it just seems so unnecessary.

I would like to establish some routines though. I've been feeling the desire to show myself some affection. :laughing: I just don't know if I can get past the cost. I think I'll be looking into self care.

An occasional trim... the last one was free, but usually 15$.
Since I have such long hair and only want a few inches off, I wind up standing while the person sits in the seat to cut my hair. Since that gets them more on eye level with my hair, and they appreciate the small break...

Never had a pedicure. I find it highly gross to have other people messing with my feet.
I've done a manicure a few times in high school for like prom. Every single time, the person thought I was nuts for getting fake nails put on. My grow out long and very strong. I usually don't do anything to them unless it needs a little filing.

The only money I waste on health and beauty products... herbal essence shampoo and conditioner, dove body wash, and gillette razor.

TxRabbit: where do you live?? My aunt goes to a really good guy in Dallas, and he listens well.
Or I'd suggest the barber shop on Main Street at Disney. Penny does an excellent job. If you just want the ends trimmed, there's nothing wrong with walking into a barber shop, they're better at just giving you what you want. Salons try to do too much and style it and everything else you'd rather not have done.

Dh and I went through an austerity budget 4 years ago to be able to build an addition on our house.

I have given up nearly all beauty rituals. DH actually learned how to give me manicures (with silk wraps even), but eventually I gave them up. DH cuts my hair and I cut his and our childrens. I have curly hair, so it is really easy to do this.

I buy some hair products occasionally and some make-up about once every 6 months.

If I want a massage, I buy DH a bottle of cheap wine:lmao:

We recently finished the addition on the house and I treated myself to a $22 hair cut. I might do that once every 3-4 months now. In the meantime, I have really learned to live frugally and enjoy the extra cash to spend on other things.....like flying to WDW:banana::banana:

The only thing I haven't cut back on is my hair. I have to get it cut every 6 weeks, it grows so darned fast. And that means highlights every 12 weeks. to the tune of $180 a shot.:scared1:

I know that is crazy, but I really like the way this girl does my hair. I was going someplace cheaper before, but she ended up only working 2 days a week, so it was almost impossible to get in. And now I am spoiled by my new place.

When I quit work to be a SAHM, I went from always getting my hair cut and colored on a regular 6-8 week basis at a pricey salon to only getting it cut 2-3 times a year at a budget place unless I get a gift card for Christmas or my Birthday. No more mani/pedis either. I do miss it but I figure it's not worth going back to work for! DH now buzzes his own hair instead of paying to get it cut.

If I want a massage, I buy DH a bottle of cheap wine:lmao:

:lmao: If I'd been drinking a soda, it would have been spit all over my monitor. That is hilarious & so true!!

I love pedis but only got them 2x3 a year. For the last year, I haven't gotten any. I do my own hair & no manis. I hate to be touched by strangers too except for pedis so never got into massages, etc. I really dislike waiting & the whole long process of stuff so it's just easier to do them at home where I can multi-task or at least watch TV in privacy while I wait for the dye to work.

I use to go to the Bellagio spa twice a a year when i was working and using Estee Lauder skincare & makeup. Ah, those were the days...When I became a stay-at-home mom seven blessed years ago I gave up a few routines because it wasn't in the budget anymore.
- pedicures and manicures.I do them myself now with discounted MK products
-I don't wax - use dispoable razors and gel.
-Pluck my own brows when I remember.
-No facials - I have a friend who is a Mary Kay rep so I buy wholesale skincare & makeup from her a few times a year so she can meet her quota for the 50% discount.
-I stock up on Bath and Body works stuff when they have sales.
-I buy Pantene shampoo because it works the same as the high priced stuff the salon lady sold me when I was weak during my annual haircut.
-I do buy the flat iron spray for the few times I straighten my hair.
- I cut my kids hair at home for my sanity (DS5 is mildly autistic and freaked getting his hair cut at a shop)
-I color my own hair (Clariol). I am excited that a Tony & Guy academy is opening soon nearby so I can finally get highlights. Too cowardly to do that myself.
-Oh, I did splurge this year on the Ginger bath collection at Origins - a divine scent that I spoil myself with on rare occassions so that $100 purchase should last me two years.
- Massages - that's what date night is for :)
That's pretty much it. And you know what? I really don't miss it. Well maybe the Bellagio...

I have cut back on some of my beauty rituals. I get a pedi about once every three weeks but I wear a lot of heels and open toe shoes for work so they have to look decent. I wear my real nails so the mani is pretty cheap. I am scared to do my eyebrows myself. It hurts and I am a wimp.

Where I can't cut back is my hair. I am AA so hair care for us is a whole different ball game. Getting hair done is at best a biweekly process. $45 every time I go in for basics. Wash, blow dry and style. God forbid you get rained on, you have to go in for an emergency hair appointment.

Every 6 weeks, chemical relaxer $75 including tip. Have to do it so that I don't go to work looking like sideshow Bob from the Simpsons. If I get my hair braided like I do for my Disney trips it is a $320 experience but it lasts for about 10 weeks.

I just cut my hair really short and while it is getting retrained (yes I know, training your hair) I have to go in every 10 days or so to get it done. $45 including tip. I can't cut back because I have to present a certain image at work but good gracious it sure is expensive.

Your $10 trims are just a pipe dream for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter