Anyone had problems with perfume scent in Disney hotel rooms

cottontail

DIS Veteran
Hi I asked this in the resort forums but no answers. We have been to disney at least twelve times staying onsite. This last stay two weeks ago we had two rooms at port orleans and both had a strong lingering perfume type scent. Has anyone else noticed this. We had to leave our vacation early as my daughter had a migraine from day one in the room and could not get rid of it. Just wondering if this is something new they are doing.

We were just there in early September, and we stayed at both POR and the FW Cabins. Neither had a smell associated with the rooms. They just smelled like... nothing when we opened the doors.

The Deluxe resorts *do* have a signature scent associated with their lobbies, however this is never carried over to the rooms.

I have traveled my entire life, and from time to time I have encountered rooms where someone before me has been very careless with perfume or after shave, or some other scent. Most recently, while staying in Memphis TN, we had a room where the entire upholstered headboard smelled strongly of perfume. We had to change rooms, simply because it wasn't going to be possible to sleep with that; it was very overwhelming.

If you have a family member who is sensitive to potential allergens, you can ask for a special cleaning to be done prior to your arrival. You will need to have it noted on your reservation. If it should happen again, then I would work with a Concierge at your Resort to see if they can find you another room. At all hotels - Disney or otherwise - it's easiest to request a new room right after you check in; if you go check out the room, and find it unacceptable it is not at all out of the ordinary to return to the front desk and ask to be re-roomed, or minimally for the room to be deep-cleaned and the offending scent removed. (Not to mention that it's easier to move all of your stuff before you have unpacked and settled)

Many people post that they like to take in scents to make the rooms feel more comfortable for them. I dislike the practice because of the exact thing that happened to the OP's daughter.

Hi: Thanks for the replies. Maybe someone spilled perfume.
My daughter's room did have the VIP cleaning, I thought they would steam clean the carpet but after walking in the room had just assumed that they used a carpet cleaner with some sort of soap and that is why the smell.
We thought it would go away by the next day.

We also had requested connecting rooms as she is special needs and received them and wondered if we switched would we still get connecting rooms. We went to the lobby the next day to ask if they used something with a scent to shampoo the rug and they in turn asked housekeeping and they replied the rug was not cleaned. They gave us a small amount off the room for the inconvenience,didn't offer a new rooms though, but truthfully the scent ruined the trip as this trip was for her. In my planning I was going to bring her own sheets as I had asked if disney uses scented detergent to wash sheets but they said no. She took her own shampoo and soap unscented.

She had four days where there was no maid coming in as my daughter was in bed with knockout migraines and the smell was still there. After our room was being cleaned on two occasions it had more of the odor as if they cleaned it and something was sprayed. Just wondering as I am trying to figure out where we could stay in the future so this does not happen again, maybe a resort with windows that open if we could afford it.

I have bad allergies and have not had the bad luck of getting a Disney room that made me ill. The only thing that it could be, if the odor was stronger after cleaning is whatever they use to clean the bathroom area. But again, I use nothing scented at home and nothing at Disney has ever smelled strong to me. Maybe housekeeping had perfume or something on?

I've been going for almost two decades and never had a room with a scent in it. And I'm very sensitive to scents, as is my younger daughter. We use scent/dye free everything. The orange scented soap and shampoo they had in the rooms one time made our skin break out, so we use our own.

You stated that they did not offer new rooms - did you ask if ones were available? You have to remember that they don't know what is going on unless you tell them specifically. Did you tell them the scent in the room was causing your daughter to suffer migraines?

Yes we told them everything. We found out at the end of our conversation the girl we spoke with had only worked there for two weeks. When I think about it now it was our mistake not to ask to change rooms as soon as we arrived. We were happy to have the connecting rooms and not lose them as she needs my help 24/7.
We have stayed in disney resorts at least 12 times and never had a room with smell but this time we had two rooms with smell so I just thought Disney was doing something different in their cleaning even though we had stated no scent or chemicals.

Yes we told them everything. We found out at the end of our conversation the girl we spoke with had only worked there for two weeks. When I think about it now it was our mistake not to ask to change rooms as soon as we arrived. We were happy to have the connecting rooms and not lose them as she needs my help 24/7.
We have stayed in disney resorts at least 12 times and never had a room with smell but this time we had two rooms with smell so I just thought Disney was doing something different in their cleaning even though we had stated no scent or chemicals.

Thanks for the clarification. My daughter reports that she did not notice a scent in her rooms (she stayed at two resorts this past trip, less than a month ago) so I've got no idea where the scent could have come from, except from a previous guest. Have you ever looked into the wearable air purification devices?

Thanks I never knew there were small portable negative ion machines, I will ask her neurologist next visit.

I totally understand what the OP is asking about. And I know DD appreciates your understanding of her fragrance intolerance (my DH doesn't but DS does!).

I have walked into a few hotel rooms (not at Disney) and been overwhelmed with what is later labeled a "cleaning product" by hotels. In my experience, the worst offenders were a couple of lower priced chain hotels that had a high turnover in busy towns such as Motel 6.

Disney hotels sometimes have a fragrance in their public areas and this doesn't bother me at all; at least when compared to the outrageous fragrance smells of places like Yankee Candle! I actually make DH walk in and buy required candle gifts for others since I can barely walk past the open store doors.

I sympathize for OP's daughter! Very little causes migraines for me anymore except fragrances and it is an almost instant cause of my worst migraines in type and duration. I used to have to leave work early and go home when a co-worker liberally doused herself in perfume or a male subordinate wore heavy cologne because he claimed that 'his car had a gasoline leak' so he wore the cologne to mask the gas smell :scared:.

I'm sure your DD would undertand my fear of being confined in an elevator with or entering immediately after a "perfume prima donna" as I call them.

And don't forget to mention this to her neurologist particularly if it seems to be worse compared to a year or so before. One of my neurologists advised me to take a decongestant when I encountered offensive smells and it helped sometimes.

Thank you for your kind comments. We have to skip stores with scent, fragrance areas in stores like sears etc.
We are still curious why the room had the smell with a VIP cleaning. In fact after we spoke to guest services the day after my hubby and my room was cleaned it had that smell. We are from Canada this trip cost us 35% more with the exchange in all aspects food, travel there etc and it ended up dd was in bed in the hotel room most of the trip.
We left three days early because of this. The first stop at a motel in west virginia on the way home she awoke for the first time since arriving at disney with no headache. We just want to figure out what it was so we can completely avoid this if we can go again in a few years.

We are still curious why the room had the smell with a VIP cleaning.

What did you request with the "VIP cleaning?" My understanding is that there is more than one type of VIP cleaning, and it's always best to make known what you expect/need cleaned when you place the request. I hate to say the VIP cleaning didn't happen, but it doesn't sound like they did much if anything (you mentioned the carpets were not cleaned).

The ventilation system isn't necessarily that great. If a room near you that shares ductwork had a scented room freshener or something, it could have been pulled into your room from the air vents. Another time if you encounter a scent in the room that is impacting your health, I'd request a room change. Having the connecting rooms makes that hard as they may not have another set of connecting rooms available; you'd then have to decide which is more important to you - the connecting rooms or a clean/unscented room.

I'd assume the scent wasn't something you can plan for or avoid by booking a different resort or room type; it likely was caused by another guest. If by chance it was the cleaning supplies, your best tactic is to be specific in your request for VIP cleaning including need for unscented cleaning products.

Thank you for your kind comments. We have to skip stores with scent, fragrance areas in stores like sears etc.
We are still curious why the room had the smell with a VIP cleaning. In fact after we spoke to guest services the day after my hubby and my room was cleaned it had that smell. We are from Canada this trip cost us 35% more with the exchange in all aspects food, travel there etc and it ended up dd was in bed in the hotel room most of the trip.
We left three days early because of this. The first stop at a motel in west virginia on the way home she awoke for the first time since arriving at disney with no headache. We just want to figure out what it was so we can completely avoid this if we can go again in a few years.

If I am worried at all about my room smelling and bothering my allergies, I pack along an air purifier.

If I am worried at all about my room smelling and bothering my allergies, I pack along an air purifier.

I now bring a portable HEPA air purifier. It helps reduce, though does not eliminate, allergens and other irritants in the room.

The one I use is an Amaircare Roomaid: https://amaircare.com/air-purifiers/residential/amaircare-roomaid/ Lowe's Canada and other retailers sell them. Also, there is a smaller model. It goes carry-on with me and is small enough to do so, though it does take up space and logistically has to be planned for.

SW

My daughter's room did have the VIP cleaning

1) The VIP Cleaning includes a deodorizer which does have a "mild" odor.
2) This is wiped on counters and sprayed on bedding, floors, and walls to control things like dust and pollen.
3) And, no, it is cannot be excluded from the VIP Cleaning (otherwise it is not a VIP Cleaning).

We always pack our hepa filter. We go into the room turn it on high and unpack. Then head to a park, the pool, or Disney Springs. It usually smells better by the time we get back. It helps DS and I will "smells".

1) The VIP Cleaning includes a deodorizer which does have a "mild" odor.
2) This is wiped on counters and sprayed on bedding, floors, and walls to control things like dust and pollen.
3) And, no, it is cannot be excluded from the VIP Cleaning (otherwise it is not a VIP Cleaning).

@TheRustyScupper since you have CM experience, could you (or anyone, please) explain the difference between a "VIP Cleaning" and an "Allergy Cleaning"? Or, are they one and the same? Thanks.

@TheRustyScupper since you have CM experience, could you (or anyone, please) explain the difference between a "VIP Cleaning" and an "Allergy Cleaning"? Or, are they one and the same? Thanks.

1) There are three levels of VIP-Cleaning (increased from the previous two levels).
2) Each is progressively more thorough and rigorous.
3) Some even include completely exchanging the mattresses, bedding linens, and some furniture.
4) The lowest level is the "allergy" level where they just try to vacuum/remove/clear/clean allergens and contaminated fabrics.

NOTE:
We usually do not go further into explanations, as many-many people might claim they need a certain level of cleaning (each has a specific name).
This would be a huge added cost in labor and materials to the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter