• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone had a problems getting a refund or feeling deceived regarding the amount?

kglazier

Earning My Ears
We had a cruise scheduled when Hurican Francis hit in September. We spent 3 days driving around Georgia waiting for Disney to make a decision about the cruise. Finally we were told that the Wonder was canceled, but we could be rebooked on the Magic to go to Cozumel instead. They told us for our trouble we would receive a 40% refund, $200 on board credit and 25% off our next cruise.

Well long story short we received the on board credit and the discount for the next cruise. When we got the refund, we were shocked. We weren't aware that it didn't include the government taxes and fees, then after several calls to the travel agency and Disney, we were told it was only a 30% refund. We were told several times and so were our in-laws who went with us, that we would get 40%.

Also, we heard that we could have turned in all the added expenses we had waiting for the cruise to leave in under the travel insurance we elected for.

We just feel that we were so misinformed about everything. And this is just salt to the wound for what we went thru trying to get to the cruise, which included spending about 48 hrs. in a car within a weeks time (that also contributed to having to have back surgery after getting back).

Anyone else have any other problems with their refunds or experiences like this? I'm not sure if there is anything we can do because we didn't write down the many people we talked to at Disney or keep the receipts for the hotels and added expenses.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I know it must have been frustrating for all of you.

You did get the on board credit and discount for the next cruise, which is good.
While expecting a 40% refund but instead received a 30% refund, I can understand being upset by that. It was not what you were promised but those mistakes do happen.

Overall, you received most everything and worrying about the other 10% you didn't receive just adds undue stress in the your life.

The fact you had to wait and spend so much time in your car was not the fault of Disney, nor was the uncertainty of the cruise during the hurricane.

I hope you can just chalk it up to going through one of life's unpleasant experiences and look forward to and enjoy the wonderful cruise to come.

Best wishes.

Sorry for your experiences but if you did have insurance did it not occur to you to save your receipts from meals and hotel during the delay time?

These days one must be informed about what coverage they have...I know if you booked travel insurance with DCL they send you a book which explains what is covered. I do not think it is DCL's job to explain insurance to everyone. They give you the literature and then if you have questions to call the insurance company and get answers.

We were delayed by Jeanne and wound up spending 3 days at the Polynesian to ride out the storm while the Magic was delayed. We did save all our receipts and were reimbursed $600.00 out of $630.00 claim under Travel Delay section of our travel insurance.

Please use this as a learning experience and if it ever happens again you will know to save all your receipts.

I am not trying to rub salt in any wounds but these days the consumer must be on top of everything. I hope you continue to press DCL about the difference in refund amounts.

MJ

I was on the Hurricane Frances cruise - but was already down at WDW when the storm came in and was set to sail on the Magic on 9/4 - that ended up leaving on 9/7.

I agree - no CM fully explained how the refund worked - vs. govt. fees & such. Plus -- those of us who were orig. set to sail on the Magic got a 50% refund (we did miss 1/2 of the cruise) but didn't fully understand the 30% (or 40% we heard too on the ship) for the Wonder - since the Wonder people basically got their 4 nite cruise they paid for.

Just chalking it up to a life experiance here too !

One quick question -- how did you pay for your hotel room & food - did you charge any of it or use a debit card. If so - contact the card company they can get you copies of the receipts.

We met up with Frances while we were at WDW AFTER our 7 day Magic cruise. We had to stay an extra four nights, costing several thousand dollars that I hadn't accounted for. I was alone with three children, no car, no one I knew, the baby had a cold, etc. I had cruise insurance, but this was after the cruise. I felt there were several things Disncy could have done to make our time there MUCH better, sweeter, less hellish. I felt "ripped off" by the price of the rooms, when I had NO choice at all, we couldn't enjoy the parks, etc. I swore I would never travel again and I "hated" Disney. Well, time is healing. I no longer hate Disney, and am almost looking forward to our next trip. I am NOT blaming Disney for the hurricane, but I do think there were things that could have been done better, EVEN given all the circumstances!!!!!!

I'm definitely feeling ripped off at this point. I was on the 9/11 cruise. We were lucky in that while there were hurricanes around us, only our ports of call were effected. We were given a letter upon check-in at the port telling guests that due to weather issued DCL would be changing ports of call, and due to the fact that there would be less ports, ports taxes and charges would be refunded. Alright - fair enough. I was happy with that. Well, two months later, still no refund. My TA was told that we would see a refund posted to our account within 2 billing cycles. I am now midway through my third billing cycle and NADA. I don't care if it's $1 or $1000 - it belongs to me, not DCL. Two months is more than enough time to make good. It's really leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.

Erin :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter