Anyone had a fine for unauthorised absence at school?

My daughter goes to Wallington high school and they were fine when she had 10 days off last october. i dont know if they will be thre same when we go on holiday october 06.

I just can't believe what I am reading!!! Schools actually fining parents for taking their children out of school for a family holiday AND what's worse it going on their records. I have honestly never heard of anything so absurd in my life. What has this world come to? Is Big Brother watching or what???? My blood is boiling after reading this thread!!! Next, they'll be telling us what time they have to be in bed by!I think the Education Authorities need to realise that while an education is extremely important there are or should be other equally important aspects to our children's lives and these are for the parents to worry about Not the LEA. Many parents I know are absolutely obsessed with their children not missing any school. I feel sorry for them. Life is just too short. At the end of the day your child will make it through school and missing a few weeks is not going to make any difference in the larger scheme of things. In my opinion the LEAs in question here are way out of line and it's a good thing (for me and them) that I don't live in Sutton.

My DD (now 10) had a fantastic reception/Y1/Y2 combined teacher who firmly believed that a family holiday taken at whatever time of year did a child far more good than no family holiday at all - we live in a time when we are all balancing work and family life and quality FAMILY time away from the everyday pressures is so important, and I'm sure our children will remember these holidays for the rest of their lives, whether its Blackpool or Disney its the memories that count.

After all our kids can always catch up - they do when they're off ill, even if it means a bit more home work.

Thank you Nicola and ArielIwish. I totally agree. This thread was beginning to make me very depressed. I even started looking to see how I could get round my bosses annual 3 three weeks + holiday slap bang in the middle of the six weeks summer holiday as I was getting worried about taking my daughter out in October half term with an extra 5 or 6 days out of term. I too cannot take two weeks at either Christmas or Easter as everyone in our team wants some time off and we are not allowed two weeks.

Why are we obsessed with our children's education when we have jobs now. My daughter may become a housewife and not work. She probably will be better off than me constantly worrying about when I can take time off work to either look after her or worse still being able to go to WDW which is all I really care about.

Fine or not I will continue to go to WDW when I can take the time off during my work. My husband runs his own business and is so lucky as he can take whatever time off he wants. He runs a successful building company and he told me he never went to school much past the age of 13 or 14!!! So much for his education. He has done well without it. At least can afford the fines!!!

bj-sailaway said:
LorraineH, I am from Sutton too. Have just fought an appeal for St Philomena's for a friends daughter, she already has 4 girls there and the 5th was turned down!!! Lovely family too. Anyway, if you haven't already had your appeal, buy the book "How to win your School Appeal, by Ben Rooney" It's definitely what won our case for us.

Also, it may have been me who wrote in the previous thread, a pal with kids at Overton was a day late back to start school, it went as unauthorised and the council fined her £50 per girl - £100 for 1 day. The joke is, they work it like parking fines, you get it for £50 if you pay on time, or £80 (I think it was) if you pay late.

The system isn't for those that bunk off, it's for the parents they think they'll squeeze the money out of. It absolutely stinks. However, I do know that some schools are sympathetic to the holiday problem. NOT St Phils or Overton though!

Which school are you fighting for?

I'm fighting for Greenshaw - had the appeal a week ago at Sutton Council Offices and apparently their making their decisions today. We should hear by the start of next week. But we dont have any "medical or social" reasons why Anthony should attend Greenshaw, so I dont hold out much luck. (Incidentally Overton was my second choice!!)

Greenshaw DO NOT AUTHORISE HOLIDAYS. It was stated in their literature. So Sutton will slam me with a fine, and this is what makes me mad. My kids have NEVER been late once, nor had an UNAUTHORISED absence. But because I cant afford Easter (nor would I want to-with the crowd situation), I am made to feel really guilty about wanting a good family holiday tacked onto the Feb half term.

But now that I've come to the conclusion that I wont win the appeal, and Anthony has been offered a place at The Beacon in Surrey County Council, who will fine me? I live in Sutton, but my son will go to a school outside of Sutton. Sutton couldnt offer me ANY school as they say "there were more applicants with a higher priority" than Anthony, so I have had to find my son a school off my own back. But Sutton will be the ones to benefit if I take Anthony out of school??!! Thats what makes me soooo mad! Why should Sutton get the money?

I am so sorry about this thread, I certainly didnt want to make anyone depressed! Come on guys! We're all looking to go to Disney!!! :cheer2: :cool1: :cheer2:

But I know how you feel! I'm depressed too!!!

Anyway, we have a Parents Open Evening for the new Year 7 kids at The Beacon next week, and I'll know by then whether I've won the appeal or not.

Maybe I could just ask at the Open Evening the question generally "will you authorise 5 days holiday?"

Thanks again everyone for all the input!!

Keep Smiling :earboy2: :earboy2: :earboy2:

Lorraine D :Pinkbounc

All the best to you. These appeals are so stressful. Had tears this evening over the awards day that my daughters school hold. They don't seem to give awards to the ones who try hardest or improve the most, but to the ones who get the best grades. My daughter has really improved this year, and she is sad not to be recognised for it, she also feels sorry for the ones in the lower sets.

Kids, we feel all their hurt 10 times over for them, but they'll never realise it until they have their own children. I know I didn't!

Good luck with the appeal, but from the ofsted reports and teachers reviews I've heard the Beacon can easily give Greenshaw a run for it's money. One of my friends has a special needs child at Greenshaw and really regrets sending her there. But her case is a bit special.

It'll all work out for the best, although that's hard to feel at the moment. I'll say a little prayer for Antony before bed tonight!

Hi,

As a School Governor I know that it's down to each School to decide whether they issue the fine or not. They are also responsible for collecting any monies and hence, as with my School, fines are unlikely to be handed out.

For us, taking the kids out of School is worth it. In return, we arrange extra tution during the Summer Holidays.

T

nicola said:
I just can't believe what I am reading!!! Schools actually fining parents for taking their children out of school for a family holiday AND what's worse it going on their records. I have honestly never heard of anything so absurd in my life. What has this world come to? Is Big Brother watching or what???? My blood is boiling after reading this thread!!! Next, they'll be telling us what time they have to be in bed by!I think the Education Authorities need to realise that while an education is extremely important there are or should be other equally important aspects to our children's lives and these are for the parents to worry about Not the LEA. Many parents I know are absolutely obsessed with their children not missing any school. I feel sorry for them. Life is just too short. At the end of the day your child will make it through school and missing a few weeks is not going to make any difference in the larger scheme of things. In my opinion the LEAs in question here are way out of line and it's a good thing (for me and them) that I don't live in Sutton.

Absolutely agree with every word you've written.

Carl.

Thanks again everyone for all your kind thoughts.

It looks like we now are planning a 2007 trip (not next year!!) as Virgin are completely booked for Easter 06.

So maybe this in our favour, as I wont be taking the kids out of school during the school year 05/06, so they may well allow us to take holiday in 2007.

I just want to book the holiday!!! Virgin are taking bookings up to Dec 06, so I dont know how soon they will release dates for Feb/March 07.

Anyway, I'll keep you all informed on how the school appeal went, I should hear early next week.

Thanks again,

Hi,
We are off to WDW on tuesday.. My youngest brother is in year 7 and i have another in year 10 at the moment.. and although you can be fined, if you request permission you should get it.. Our high school just said well the government want us to cut back but if we consent it you'll be ok and have no fines to worry about!
And we only asked for them to have this time off last week! So they could of easily said no

Kirstin

If my daughter hadnt been offered a place at Waliington High School she would have gone to the Beacon and i am sure she would have done just as well there.lots of children in our area go to the Beacon and the ones that i know are fine it looks like a good school. it must be very hard for you Lorraine not knowing what school your son will be going to.With both my children by this tme not only did i know what school they were gong to but also what tutor group who would be in their class i had started to buy their uniform and they had spent a day at their new school to get to know teachers etc.i think more places should be offered to children that live in the borough in my daughters school very few do.

Here is some info previously posted: -

Education (Schools and Further Education) Regulations 1981; Regulation 12.

Contained within this regulation, there is a discretionary power for leave to be granted for the purpose of an annual family holiday or an annual holiday during term time. Such permission is granted in accordance with arrangements made by the governing body of the school. Only in exceptional circumstances may the amount of leave granted exceed (in total) more than two weeks in any year. No parent can demand leave of absence for the purposes of a holiday as of right.

The above definition is further refined and clarified by the:

Education (Pupil Registration) Regulations 1995
Section 8 (1)

“Leave of absence may only be granted by a person authorised in that behalf by the proprietor of the school”

Section 8 (3) “Subject to paragraph (4), on application made by the parent with whom the pupil normally resides, a pupil may be granted leave of absence from the school to enable him/her to go away on holiday”

Section 8 (4) “Save in exceptional circumstances, a pupil shall not in pursuance of paragraph (3) be granted more than ten school days leave in any school year”

The above regulations clearly make the point that the headteacher has the final decision as to whether to authorise the holiday or not. If any parent goes into a school and demands their right to leave of absence so their child can have a family holiday during term time they should be aware that no such right exists, and it is up to the school whether they grant leave of absence. If they do not grant leave of absence there is no appeal to a higher authority.

If leave of absence is not granted it is then up to the parent to decide whether to take their child on holiday anyway, with their child's absence being recorded as unauthorised.

Guess what guys??

Just heard that we have LOST the appeal for Greenshaw. But one of my friends has a son that was accepted there, and she had to go to a New Student parent evening yesterday to be told that Greenshaw "will not tolerate ANY leave of absence during term time". My friend is furious, as she was planning on booking her first trip to WDW.

So now we know that Anthony will be going to The Beacon. He isnt as upset as I thought he would be, he went to an Induction Day there on Wednesday and really enjoyed it, and said he had made new friends and the teachers were "cool".

He showed me today a Handbook that had been given to the New Pupils, and it says in there that "if you need time off for holidays, or even one day, during school term time, then go to the School Office to collect a Special Form for your parents to fill in before you go"!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it looks like he will be authorised absence after all!!!!!

So, am I gutted I lost the appeal? No!!! Everyone is saying that The Beacon is just as good, and I get to take my family to WDW :cheer2: :cheer2: !

So I started this thread for nothing!!! - We wont be getting fined!!!

And we just had received his KS2 Sats results - a 5 in English, a 4 in Maths, a 5 in Science!! We are so proud of him. For months he hasnt known what school he is going to, but he still continued to work hard.

Thanks again for all the support and advice you've all given.

I feel a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders. We now know exactly what school Anthony will be attending in September. He isnt so upset, as he knows he can meet up with his "Greenshaw" friends socially after school.

I thought I would be distraught if we lose the appeal! But Im not!!!

So come on Virgin, release those February 2007 prices!!!

We're off to Pop!!!!!!!!

Wow! I accidently found this thread, and glad I did as it gave me a whole different outlook on the USA schools. My DD was at Edinbaurg for Univ.last semester and loved it and it was a lot different then her US Univ.
We live in S. Carolina, and or local School Distrist has a 10 day absence policy that INCLUDES sick days! If you miss days for sickness you must have a doctor note/excuse or it counts against your school record. If you are not in class by 11am(if the day starts at 8am, or 10 am if it starts at 7am) then you do not get credit for that day of classes, and it is an absence. However if you leave for the day after 11/10 am you get a whole day class credit. You are still counted absence from ind. classes in the middle/high school whrere you have different teachers for each class.
If you do miss more then 10 days of class(s) then they have the right to keep you back for an entire year, and the student can be required to repeat the entire year/same classes. It doesn't matter if you have a straight A student (100% Grade Point Average) or not. My Honor student DD missed more then 10 days one year due to excused illness and they wanted to hold her back in the same grade for the next year. We fought that and won, but only because we were in the US Navy at the time and the Military pays a certain amout of money for each child attending school to the local Dist. That amount is above the amount alloted by the goverment. She was in the top 5% of students, in a class size of several hundred students.
The School Board officals say that children missing more then 10 days do not get important social skills and education skills. This from a bunch of officals that allow classs to have up to 40 students per class with only 1 teacher!

Most classes average around 25 for lower grades, but up to 30. High school, age 13yo's to 18yo's have classe size of 20 for advance uiversity classes, to 40+ for some art/chours classes . Basic maths, science, etc can have 30-35 students with only 1 teacher, no aide. And the officals worry about "social and educational skills!"

And we live in a Nation Award winning School Dist! However, it is the South and they are not know for the best schools. We have lived in California and while the schools have different rules, they also frown on missing more then 8-10 days.

In most US schools there is no allowance for any personal holidays, except in the case of a close family death-parent, bro/sis, grandparent. Sometimes aunt or uncle/cousin. No exception for weddings.

And if a student has a medical emergency then a tutor will be provided- if you get the School Dist approval. It can take up to 3 months to get the tutor.

Sure am jealous of your Education system! We also have no say on what school our children will attend, it all depends on where you live, and the school is assigned by your address. There are a few Magnet/Special schools for gifted/advanced. If you go to private(your public?) school it costs out of your pocket and you still pay school tax for general school suport. Your child can not take any classes out side of there own school.

Oh, well I guess each has an upside? I guess mine is that it is a 6 1/2 hour drive to WDW....

Best of luck to all of you trying to get to Florida. Hope you all get to come over!

Lorraine, you didn't start it for nothing, we have all learnt alot about how different folk are treated in the school system. Sutton schools need to be consistent with each other. Now you know he is going to the Beacon, I will say that I am sure you've got the better school. I know someone who teaches at Greenshaw who says they wouldn't send their own child there. The Beacon offer far more extra curricular opportunities as well. Greenshaw offer so little that they shortened their school day and lunch break! I'm sure loads of people are very happy at Greenshaw and found their niche, but you will be very happy with the Beacon also. It's this "best for our kids" thing that we all want, it tears our hearts! All the very best to you and your family.

Wow, things are certainly different for you guys, idofabric!

Lorraine
Sorry to hear about your problems getting your son into a school and loosing your appeal for Greenshaws.
I though doubt if your getting a better deal by sending them to the Beacon,a school where standards have dropped dramatically in the last 3 yrs,so much so that i took my daughters out and sent them to another school.......in Dorking. :rolleyes:
i dont want to worry you but the Beacon also have many problems with the kids there and bullying is rife,also they also finish school early on a Friday to save money as they are always over spent.

That said i hope you find things different and your son does like the Beacon,just wasnt suitable for my daughters,and good luck in getting your Hols booked. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

L

Our schools are fine for authorised abscence up until the end of year 6.

As soon as they go into yr 7 it becomes unacceptable and fines are issued unless you can claim exceptional circumstances.

My eldest is in yr 7 and we are taking him out from Dec 10th, it has been approved as my wife is using the vacation as convalesence from hospital treatment.

Hope this helps (although it may not be the answer you want)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter