• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone going to the ALA Conference?

I'm a school librarian and WAS planning on going to ALA until the CA budget crisis hit and all our school budgets were frozen. :sad: :sad:

We were already planning a family trip earlier in June with my husband's family. My plan was to have a second solo trip to ALA a couple of weeks later. With the frozen budgets, I would now have to pay all my own conference expenses (registration, hotel, meals, & travel). I definitely can't afford two LA trips in one month! I thought about skipping the early June trip and just doing a trip with with just our family for ALA, but it would still be expensive, I would probably spend little time with my family as I would want to get the most out of the conference, and dh would be on his own with the kids all day, making it not so fun for him either. So I'm going to miss it - and it's in California!!! Urgh!!! I'm a Nor Cal girl, so this is a prime opportunity to go! Many tears here!

I'm a school librarian and WAS planning on going to ALA until the CA budget crisis hit and all our school budgets were frozen. :sad: :sad:

I'm a school librarian too and we face similar issues here in MA, so I can relate. So sorry you won't be able to make it to Annual. :sad2:

I'll be at ALA too! But I am not going to the ProQuest Scholarship Bash.:sad1: My DS and DH are coming with me and we are staying a few extra days to visit the parks and LA. I would love to have lunch with fellow Disers on Saturday or Sunday. Any takers?

Just curious - how many of you are having to pay your own way to ALA? Wondering how much your library organization chips in for expenses. Hearing of all you DIS-Librarians who are going has really got me longing even more.

One more frustrating piece is that when I renewed my ALA membership in Nov, I paid for a professional membership. I then started the MLIS program at SJSU in January (where a big part of my personal budget is going these days btw), and SJSU pays for a student membership for all MLIS students. Once I found out there wasn't going to be any funds from my school to pay for the conference, I was still considering paying my own way. I was hoping at least to be able to register for the conference as a student (good break on conference fees), but ALA said no way - since I originally signed on as a pro, I have to go to the conference as one too. :headache: Bummer. Still talking to myself about just biting the bullett and going - at least there'd be a tax write-off for paying my own way. Can Goofy's Kitchen count as a business meal? :rolleyes1 Ha!

i'm only doing the exhibits as support staff member of local library:)

funny thing is the flyer came in when i was volunteering and the librarians couldn't wait to show me since they knew i was planning a disneyland trip in June by all the special books i had requested:goodvibes . I quickly changed our dates to coincide and eagerly pounced on the discounted DLH rooms:thumbsup2

head librarian was thrilled...said she'd knew i'd wind up buying more disney related travel guides that would eventually find their way to our modest travel section.;)

Just curious - how many of you are having to pay your own way to ALA? Wondering how much your library organization chips in for expenses. Hearing of all you DIS-Librarians who are going has really got me longing even more.

I work for my state school library organization and they pay a large portion of my expenses, however I would be attending regardless. I never miss a national conference, and this year I'm chairing a task force that is holding an open forum at the conference on Saturday morning. Hope you can swing it, 2nd Star - I promise you'll be glad you did! :thumbsup2

i'm only doing the exhibits as support staff member of local library:)

funny thing is the flyer came in when i was volunteering and the librarians couldn't wait to show me since they knew i was planning a disneyland trip in June by all the special books i had requested:goodvibes . I quickly changed our dates to coincide and eagerly pounced on the discounted DLH rooms:thumbsup2

head librarian was thrilled...said she'd knew i'd wind up buying more disney related travel guides that would eventually find their way to our modest travel section.;)

From your sig, I see you have a fabulous vacation planned. You're in for a wonderful time! Please consider coming to the Bash and joining our meet at the Coca Cola corner at 8:45. Family, friends, all welcome! Hope to see you there, keishashadow! :thumbsup2

Hi all! I am a Crazy Disney Fan and I started the meet thread over on the meets board, and the ALA Wiki. I only had one brave librarian's response...from Kathy. Thanks to her posting the info here we've hit the jackpot! I was convinced that her and I were the only librarians willing to admit our Disney addiction :).

I never attended ALA before becuase the libraries I worked at in the past did not send their staff and for various reasons never could attend on my own. I knew the '08 conference was to be held in Anaheim and played with the idea of going on my own dime now that I was progressing in my career. But then as luck would have it... I was hired as a library director, in a different library, and found out that the they traditionally send their director to either ALA or PLA. How fantastic for a Disney fan/librarian!!! So I believe it was truly meant to be that my first ALA would be in Anaheim!

About the meet - all are welcome with their family and friends. I'll be in attendacne with my aunt, a school teacher. Oh, and just a note, although you can buy the pass for the Pro-quest bash as donation toward the scholarship, the park is open to the public as well. So wheter you enter that night on the bash pass or a reg. ticket you can still meet up with Kathy and me (thanks again Kathy!!!!).

:yay:

From your sig, I see you have a fabulous vacation planned. You're in for a wonderful time! Please consider coming to the Bash and joining our meet at the Coca Cola corner at 8:45. Family, friends, all welcome! Hope to see you there, keishashadow! :thumbsup2
thanks for the invite even though i'm not a "real libararian" just a volunteer who luvs books, wish i had gotten the certification.

must admit, the speakers are turning out to be fabulous...very tempting to ditch family:rotfl: & upgrade my registration

fyi, if anybody is looking for a shuttle from airport, the discount on registration site is the best i have found; beating the entertainment coupon on their competitor

thanks for the invite even though i'm not a "real libararian" just a volunteer who luvs books, wish i had gotten the certification.

Makes no difference whether you're a "real librarian" or not. You're going to ALA and you're a Disney fan. That's all it takes. I hope you and your family will join us.

fyi, if anybody is looking for a shuttle from airport, the discount on registration site is the best i have found; beating the entertainment coupon on their competitor

Can you point me to the info on that discount? I can't seem to find it. Thanks! :thumbsup2

Yes, I have ordered these before (I can PM you a picture of myself in the shirt style if you need a visual) and they do run small. I ordered an XL last time and this time. An XL is 18 inches from underarm to underam and 22 inches in length. The 2X added a 1/2 inch to each of those numbers. I figured it wasn't worth the extra money for an additional 1/2 inch. But, you can always choose a different style shirt by choosing "Design" once on the site. I picked this shirt because it was the only one available in lime green. ::yes:: I just hope they haven't changed shirt distributors :confused3 since the last time I order. We'll find out in 5-7 business days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter