Anyone Go The Week Before Thanksgiving?

Wish Upon A Star

DIS Veteran
Wondering how late the parks were open, crowd level, weather, etc.

We are deciding which week in November to go . . . .since we live in the Northeast we don't want to leave too late into November/early December because of possible bad weather (last year it snowed on Thanksgiving)

Wondering since there is a 11/17 MVMCP means that the parks are already pretty much decorated? Or do they just decorate that night for the party and then take it down? Will any Christmas lights be on in Epcot, etc?

Are dates are pretty flexible . . .

11/13 - 11/18 or
11/16 - 11/22 (but that is the night before Thanksgiving, busiest day to travel)
11/27 - 12/2 (but that is kind of getting into our decorating/preparing for Christmas)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

We were there the week before Thanksgiving 2004. The crowds weren't a problem at all except at Epcot because of F&WF and at MGM the weekend of Super Soap. But even still, it was manageable. The weather was gorgeous - not too hot but warm enough to swim. Christmas decorations were up, it was great! If things had worked out we would be going in November again this year. But again, this was 2004 and prior to when the dining plan became all the rage.

We're going this year the 17th to the 22nd. I'm not crazy about flying back the 22nd, but I decided if we took a morning flight at least we'd have less chance of missing it or being delayed, or have more options if we did get delayed for a different flight.

I was there last year the Sunday after Thanksgiving for a week, and all the decorations were up. We're going to MVMCP on the 17th this year, and I would think, as much work as it is, a lot of the decorations would have to be up by the weekend before Thanksgiving. And the weekend of the 18th/19th, F&W Festival is over and Super Soap weekend is over, so I don't think you'll have crowd issues from any of those.

I have been twice the week before Thanksgiving. I loved it. The crowds were very manageable. I would be going that week this year but my DS is in High School this year and I figured I would go the week before so he would only miss 4 days of school instead of 5. OH the sacrifices we have to make ;) . However, there was no Xmas party on that week before or I would have gone to it. So, I am thinking maybe it would be a little more crowded.

taking the famliy Nov 12-19 and from what I read and people I talk to, they said this one of the best time to go. Low crowds and we are going to MVMCP on 11/17.

have fun :banana: :woohoo:
All-Star Music nov 12-19 2006 :hourglass

My family and I have gone the week of Thanksgiving numerous times. I must admit to the crowds being bad at times, but as long as you stay away from the parks on Thanksgiving Day you should be fine (we always went swimming or rented boats).

The weather can be testy, we've had everything from the high 80s to the low 50s....definitely pack both shorts AND jeans, not to mention a warm sweatshirt!

The parks were open relatively late, especially with extra evening hours. MK was open til midnight for all guests, and til 3 am for EEH.

Most of the holiday decorations are up at the beginning of the week, but since the first MVMCP is early this year, they will probably ALL be done by then (although sometimes it takes the resorts longer). However, in my experience, most of the other parks don't start their holiday events until the friday after Thanksgiving (i.e. Epcot's Holiday Illuminations and Tree Lighting, MGM's Holly Day Parade, AK's Jingle Jungle Parade, etc.) I was sooo happy that we stayed a couple days later last year since it enabled us to see all of these! :)

Good luck with your planning and decisions! :thumbsup2

We have gone the week before Thanksgiving a few times. It is our favorite time to go! Every year they start decorating for X-mas earlier and earlier! That's the resorts and the parks! This year the first night for MVMCP is the 13th!!! Also the Osbourne lights will start on either that night or the 14th, forgot which one!
I think your best bet would be the week of the 13th. What makes it so great is the crowds from "Jersey week", F&W festival, SS weekend, Festival of the masters and Vet's day are gone! And you are gone before the Thanksgiving crowds get there. The X-mas decorations start going up, MVMCP, and Osbourne lights at MGM. The weather is near perfect! Warm enough to swim but not too hot that it would make touring at the parks unbearable. Around high 70's low 80's. Little to no rain. We only had it rain 1 time on our past Nov trips and that was for half a day! The crowds are so low most rides are a walk on.

As far as the park hours, MK usually closes at 7pm, MGM 8pm, and Epcot 9pm, AK 5pm. DtD is open till 11pm, 11:30pm on the weekends. There are still the night time fireworks like Illuminations, Wishes and Fantasmic, and the afternoon parades. With the crowds so low you can get alot done at each park even with the shorter hours.

The parks are not decorated until the week of Thanksgiving. The crowds were very light until Friday of that week. One night we practically had WS in Epcot to ourselves.

MelanieC said:
The parks are not decorated until the week of Thanksgiving. The crowds were very light until Friday of that week. One night we practically had WS in Epcot to ourselves.
Maybe they're not fully decorated, but I've been the week before Thanksgiving and most of the decorations are up. If I remember, this year the Osborne Lights will start showing 11/14 or so. I thought the weather that week before Thanksgiving was perfect and crowds were low. The only disappointment is that the CP, the Holiday Storytellers in WS, and possibly the tree-lighting ceremonies don't start until the day after Thanksgiving. However, I wouldn't hesitate to go the week before Thanksgiving again.

Everytime we have gone the resorts were all already decorated for Xmas. The parks transform that week. By the time we leave, everything is decorated, including the parks. Usually you'll start seeing the Xmas trees in front of the parks going up first, then each day goes by more and more stuff gets added. This year they will definately be all decorated by the week before Thanksgiving because of the earlier dates for MVMCP and the Osbourne lights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter