• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone Game? 2 Castles and a Road Trip TR! Last Day and TR Wrap Up! #2796; 10/01

(Continued from Previous Post)

Finishing Unfinished Business in Page

Page, Arizona is not the sort of destination that most international tourists to the US would head to, right? Afterall, with a population of around 7,500 it’s not one of the global cities of the world. But believe it or not, close on 3 million people visit Page annually.

That's a staggering amount of people considering that the town was founded in 1957 originally as a camp for workers. ‘Camp Page’, as it was first known was land acquired in a trade with the Navajo Nation as home to the hundreds of construction workers who would build the second largest dam at Glen Canyon. The city was named after the Commissioner John C Page. You'll find it right along the edge of the Arizona-Utah border. Even the Federal Government considers it the most remote community in the US.

DH and I had stumbled across Page in 1997, when we were driving around the Grand Circle. In the days before the WWW, we pretty much got in the car at Vegas, pointed in the direction of God’s Country of Zion, Bryce, Kodachrome, Escalante and kept going without any research or need to pre-book accommodation. As anyone who has driven the Grand Circle can attest, Page is about the largest community you'll find around this part of the world. If you check it out, you’ll find that it is located exactly in the center of the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Escalante, Vermillion Caves, Arches, Mesa Verda and Canyon de Chelly.

More importantly, when that dam was built, the waterway above the dam formed a man-made lake known as Lake Powell. In 2013, Lake Powell was named by Fodor Travel as one of the top 20 lakes in the world.

In 1997, without any knowledge of the place, we made a very fleeting visit and we have always felt that we have unfinished business with Page. It’s been well over 15 years and that unfinished business between Page, DH and I could have been left unfinished for another 15 years if it weren't for the fact that we could experience the Colorado River from the bottom up. So whilst we had ticked off something on our bucket list yesterday, today.....today, we were going to address our unfinished business.

(Continued in Next Post)

Slot Canyon #1 - Owl Canyon

Our first unfinished business in Page concerned slot canyons. In 1997, we had discovered that Page was home to one of the most photographed slot canyons in the world! But our timing was not great and we always felt that we needed to come back to properly see that particular canyon.

When I worked out that we were heading this way again, I was keen to re-do our trek. Our hosts convinced us to sign up to one of the photographic tours offered by Carol Bigthumb's Navajo family owned Adventurous Antelope Canyon Photo Tour. We selected the 3-canyon tour. Not cheap; especially when you consider that DS was charged adult rates but I figured it would give us the best opportunities for photography. Our vouchers for the tour were with our hosts.

The instruction for our meeting spot was a little unusual. We were advised to head out of Page on Highway 98 to Mile Post 302. Fortunately for us, there were a number of cars parked there and we figured we were in the right spot.

Another exchange of vouchers and we were provided with a group number. We waited for our guide to call the group number and got into the 4-wheel drive vehicle. Our first destination was the aptly named Owl Canyon.

Slot canyons are these amazing narrow canyons or gorges that are deeper than they are wide.

They are formed by water rushing through rock, usually sandstone or limestone as these rocks are soft enough for water to cut right through.

The sun wasn't quite high enough in the sky yet. Most of Owl Canyon was painted dusty pink with tinges of purple.

We stayed here clicking to our heart's content. Our guide, Nate, was brilliant with DS. We had provided DS with a camera and he had been using it through Sedona and the Grand Canyon. Just as well he'd gotten a handle on the controls. Nate was so patient with DS and showed him how to take a variety of shots on the different settings. But then Nate was incredibly patient with everyone on this tour.

It was long enough for us to get a taste of the rising sun and the orange glow that the walls must get to in the midday sun.

At times, the walls reminded me of artwork. It was really beautiful walking through here and as part of a photography tour, we were the only ones in this canyon.

At the start of September, Page had an unusual rain deluge and you'll find amazing footage on YouTube of the flashflooding through Antelope Canyon. It sent chills up my spine and I wondered about the sanity of coming back here for a millisecond. Thankfully, it was a completely different situation at the end of September but I would sure hate to be caught here should a flashflood come through.

There were other people on the photography tour with us; we ended up as a group of 8 passengers, plus Nate the tour guide. We did chat with them but didn't form any lasting relationships in the short time we were together.

And yes, Owl Canyon is home to owls.

Take a look at the colour of the walls....just as we were leaving.

It certainly promised much for the other two canyons.

(Continued in Next Post)

Slot Canyon #2 - Mountain Sheep Canyon

Our second canyon was a short drive away. I believe it was called Mountain Sheep; but I'm not really sure. It could have been Rattlesnake Canyon, which is what was promised on the tour notes; but I'm pretty sure Nate said something about Mountain Sheep. In any event, be it Mountain Sheep or Rattlesnake, we didn't find any namesake animals in this canyon. I was sure to be relieved or disappointed.

Let me just say that of the three canyons we visited today, this one was my favourite. Purely because of the peace and solitude we got to enjoy here. Aside from the 9 of us, there was no one else around. And it was beautiful!

The wall formations in here were magnificent.

Yes, they were convoluted. And yes, we got to walk through that. I was amazed at how much my body could contort out of necessity!

On the side of the canyon where the sun hit, the colour was beyond words.

And in case you think I've used photoshop or something, here's DH to provide you with some colour contrast.

This canyon is definitely not for anyone with mobility issues.

You do have to climb.

Remember how I said the walls reminded me of artwork? Take a look.

It was an amazing walk through. I left a little skin behind on the wall here.

But it wasn't all narrow passages. At times, we had space. Lots of space.

Can you see the blue of DH shirt in this picture?

Words fail me with this canyon.

One more slot canyon to come. And it was the one that we had come to re-capture.

princess::upsidedow

Oh my word! I feel like I am looking at museum photos! What an amazing tour!

Amazing photos from the slot canyons. The clarity of the canyon looks so clear. Very nice updates.

Wow! Those canyon shots are truly amazing! I can't believe the striations on the walls, they look so cool and unreal! What an amazing tour!

That's a staggering amount of people considering that the town was founded in 1957 originally as a camp for workers. ‘Camp Page’, as it was first known was land acquired in a trade with the Navajo Nation as home to the hundreds of construction workers who would build the second largest dam at Glen Canyon. The city was named after the Commissioner John C Page. You'll find it right along the edge of the Arizona-Utah border. Even the Federal Government considers it the most remote community in the US.

Having done that journey by bicycle, let me correct you on one little detail: Kayenta Az has the honor of most remote community, as designated by the US Postal Service. It is 100 miles east of Page, and is the only "community" between the four-state border and the turn off for the eastern road into Grand Canyon NP!

I slept at the Indian School and had a bowl of oatmeal at the diner... which wasn't nearly so enticing looking as what you had for breakfast! I am surprised that I never heard of this prickly pear jam!

:)

Jud

OMG that is stunningly beautiful. I have seen shots of these canyons on RoadTrips website I liked on FB and now get posts from - this is on the MUST visit now. I hadn't researched where they were. Can't wait for canyon 3 though canyon 2 would be hard to beat.

Slot canyons = amazing :worship:

I'm like Wendy, since seeing photos of slot canyons on those 'amazing places' websites, they've featured prominently on my list of places to visit :thumbsup2 (we'll just ignore the fact that there are currently another 483 places :rolleyes2)

The cowboy hash looks yummy too! I might have to try that one at home :goodvibes

Words fail me on the slot canyons....

Your shots are truly amazing! This is moving up on my bucket list!

Love it!!!!!!

Stunning ! Absolutely ! another part of your trip that I am enjoying immensely especially because I will never be able to do it

I don't have mobility issues but I found out many years ago when I went to the Carlsbad Caverns National Park in NM with my oldest DD that I can get claustrophobic I only lasted so long and had to back out of there I had forgotten all about it until I had to have a closed MRI this past Feb I lasted 10 minutes in there and then was pushing the panic button like crazy & now I just remembered again So no, I couldn't go there :sad2: but oh the joy of seeing it through your eyes

What a beautiful creation !

The raft float looked like lots of fun! Mom and I did one on the Snake River in Wyoming and really enjoyed it.

Those slot canyons are beautiful! It's amazing how beautiful nature can be. And I loved the pictures of the owls.

Oh my word! I feel like I am looking at museum photos! What an amazing tour!

Thanks! It was an amazing tour through the canyons. :thumbsup2

How can you top Slot Canyon #2? Those pictures are artwork!:thumbsup2

:scratchin How about I keep posting and let you work out if I can top Slot Canyon #2 or not?? :laughing:

Thank you.

Amazing photos from the slot canyons. The clarity of the canyon looks so clear. Very nice updates.

Thanks Bret. I really got to practise landscape photography on this trip. Really glad to have had the opportunity too.

Wow! Those canyon shots are truly amazing! I can't believe the striations on the walls, they look so cool and unreal! What an amazing tour!

Those walls were fantastic. I spent a lot of time touching them just for the heck of it too.

Having done that journey by bicycle, let me correct you on one little detail: Kayenta Az has the honor of most remote community, as designated by the US Postal Service. It is 100 miles east of Page, and is the only "community" between the four-state border and the turn off for the eastern road into Grand Canyon NP!

I slept at the Indian School and had a bowl of oatmeal at the diner... which wasn't nearly so enticing looking as what you had for breakfast! I am surprised that I never heard of this prickly pear jam!

:)

Jud

Hmmm.....yes.....Kayenta. Well, I'll leave the Federal Government and the US Postal Service to work out which town claims that title. It's there in the promo tourism material for both.

Wow indeed. That canyon was spectacular.

OMG that is stunningly beautiful. I have seen shots of these canyons on RoadTrips website I liked on FB and now get posts from - this is on the MUST visit now. I hadn't researched where they were. Can't wait for canyon 3 though canyon 2 would be hard to beat.

Wendy - I think you and your family would really enjoy being at Page. It's the sort of place and natural wonder that I think you'd all enjoy. Especially your DD.

Slot canyons = amazing :worship:

I'm like Wendy, since seeing photos of slot canyons on those 'amazing places' websites, they've featured prominently on my list of places to visit :thumbsup2 (we'll just ignore the fact that there are currently another 483 places :rolleyes2)

The cowboy hash looks yummy too! I might have to try that one at home :goodvibes

Well....you'll just have to knock all 484 places (and probably growing) off your list. That way, you'll get it all done. Besides, Vermillion Cliffs are just down the road from Page. :thumbsup2

Words fail me on the slot canyons....

Your shots are truly amazing! This is moving up on my bucket list!

Love it!!!!!!

If you make it there, I'm hoping you'll do a TR. :thumbsup2

Stunning ! Absolutely ! another part of your trip that I am enjoying immensely especially because I will never be able to do it

I don't have mobility issues but I found out many years ago when I went to the Carlsbad Caverns National Park in NM with my oldest DD that I can get claustrophobic I only lasted so long and had to back out of there I had forgotten all about it until I had to have a closed MRI this past Feb I lasted 10 minutes in there and then was pushing the panic button like crazy & now I just remembered again So no, I couldn't go there :sad2: but oh the joy of seeing it through your eyes

What a beautiful creation !

Ruthie - You'll be fine in the slot canyons. Whilst they are narrow and I'm only showing canyon walls, the top is pretty much open sky. It's not like an enclosed cave "cave"; if you know what I mean.

The raft float looked like lots of fun! Mom and I did one on the Snake River in Wyoming and really enjoyed it.

Those slot canyons are beautiful! It's amazing how beautiful nature can be. And I loved the pictures of the owls.

Thanks Ariana. The owls were a bonus. I loved them too.

I thought about that with the open sky, but it just seemed like the narrowness was closing in on me...odds are I will never get out there but ok I trust you enough to say if I ever did I would TRY

Amazing pictures! Isn't it amazing what nature can do?

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter