• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone from Ontario drive to wdw this past Nov.

cottontail

DIS Veteran
Hi: Anyone from Ont who drove to wdw this past nov how was the drive? Any problems with bad weather? Also which route did you take?

Deb.

Hi Deb,
sorry for this late reply. We did the drive on November 8. Left at 7:30PM from Mississauga and drove thru the night to Orlando. Filled up in Buffalo, where we picked up a couple DVD's waiting for us there to entertain the kids with, then stopped for gas in Morgantown, WV. That was about 1AM. Continued south on I-79 to US19 to I-77. DW took over at I-77 until we stopped for breakfast in Charlotte, N.C. (Mimi's Cafe, great breakfast place!). I took over and we stopped in South Carolina just before Georgia so we could get out and throw a football for 1/2 hour and a picnic lunch. Once that break was over, we continued thru GA and stopped at Walmart in Jacksonville for groceries etc. as we were staying at a great rental home.
Unfortunately got caught up in the 5PM rush hour and it was slow going to I-4 and a few slow spots along I-4 to Kissimmee. In total including stops it took us 26 hours. For us and 3 kids (12, 10 and 6) it worked out well.
We let the kids swim in the pool when we arrived and then I went straight to bed. Woke up the following morning (Saturday) and we were rarin' to go see places, but not the parks on a weekend. Toured one of the alligator farms and then got some Papa John's pizza for dinner. Our intentions were to hit Clearwater Beach but the day was just to cold to enjoy water.

All in all, it was a good drive and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Followed the same route home, but we stopped north of Charlotte, N.C. after leaving at noonish and we stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for the night for the kids to enjoy one more comfortable night's sleep.

Family of 5 in a Grand Caravan, just got back yesterday. Spent 2 days down, 3 days back.

Sat Dec 21 - left Ottawa 3:47am in freezing rain. Took an extra hour to reach the border at 1,000 islands, but got there safe and the border bridges were open (I worried about all the ice). Just a few minutes later it changed to rain and the roads were wet but otherwise fine. Good the rest of the day until we hit about a 3-hour traffic delay around Washington (I-270, I-495, I-95). This was probably related to holiday shopping (I'm pretty sure). Still had some traffic on and off until we stopped in Lumberton, NC for the night.

Sun Dec 22 - left around 7:30am, traffic was manageable until I-4 in Orlando added 30-60 minutes as you got closer to International Drive area.

Thu Jan 2 - left around 8am and stopped in Fayetteville, NC for the night. No incidents.

Fri Jan 3 - left around 8am and stopped in Hershey, PA for the weekend. No incidents.

Sun Jan 5 - left around 8:30am and got back about 4pm. No incidents.

Overall, 3 points:

a) Although I don't regret doing a Christmas trip, I don't want to do it again. Just too busy everywhere, too much traffic everywhere.

b) I'd recommend the other route spending longer on I-81 to avoid even more of Washington (like Tower said).

c) None of us were that tired. Breaking the trip in 2 days seems about right (first day long, 2nd day short). Saved a TON of money on flights and rental car (esp. rental car cost over Christmas). I'd definitely drive again, just try going off season like we usually do.

Hi Thanks everyone.

I was worried about snow, we are looking at Nov maybe first or second week this fall. But I am also thinking Oct as it will stay light longer for driving and hopefully no sign of snow. But I am leaning more towards november though for the christmas decorations
We also will do a long day the first day.

Deb.

We just drove this past Oct-Nov. We pull our travel trailer as well. Drive down was phenomenal. Thru buffalo to Pittsburgh and down thru virginia mountains, etc. great drive no issues. But that was October 25. Our drive home on November 11, we started back that route, weather forecasts were favourable. 3 hours into our drive a winter weather advisory in the mountains was posted. We detoured and went Maryland way. Little bit longer but the weather was way better. Until we got back to buffalo that is. Lol. I highly suggest that you have internet to check weather conditions frequently and be ready to change it up.

By the way, we did both Halloween and Christmas at disney (Fort Wilderness to be specific) and they were AMAZING! Love them both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter