• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone freeze milk

Mickey527

DIS Veteran
The grocery store a few blocks away is closing tonight. I stopped by to see what they had left and they have tons of milk. I bought a gallon that expires on April 17 for $.30. I thought if it can be frozen I could grab a few more gallons and freeze it for later. I checked online and it says it can be frozen but changes the taste. Has anyone froze milk before and how bad does it change? I love a cold glass of milk (only drink whole) but thought I could use the frozen for things like pudding etc... I also think I might put it in smaller containers and take it out when I need it instead of thawing a full gallon. What do you think.

they don't have much left but I also bought 4 bottles of coco lopez cream of coconut for $.36, puffed rice cereal for $.22, chunky tomato progresso soup $.29, some stuffed dog toys for $.19, and some planters that were $4.99 for $.12. I didn't shop at this store much, maybe once or twice a month for a few things when i didn't want to drive 1.2 mile to Stop and Shop but alot fo neighborhood people without cars will miss this store.

I freeze milk all the time! (That is what happens when your child is lactose intolerant and there is a sale on soy milk!) When you thaw it out just make sure to shake it up before you use it because it can seperate. I have never noticed a big change in flavor, and you can use it just like you use any other milk (for cooking or whatever).

Happy bargain shopping!

Yes i freeze milk all of the time too. I found it particularly useful to have some milk in the freezer this past winter as a back up when the weather was too bad to get to the shops.

Claire :)

I freeze milk as well. I wouldn't freeze it for months. If your food from the freezer tastes funny then it probably means you aren't wrapping things properly.

I freeze all this time when it is marked down and actually I dont think it tastes any different. If you freeze an entire gallon it takes forever to defrost in the fridge.

Yup, before you freeze a gallon, make sure to dump a little out so it has room to expand. I've only had one leak but I wouldn't take the chance again. It takes FOREVER to thaw so I usually take it out the night before and let it sit in the sink... it will stay cold all night long with no problems & it's totally healthy :)

My mom always froze milk. With Five kids if she didn't she would have been going to the store every other day!!!!:rotfl2:

I don't like to drink it straight after having frozen it, but it's fine as an ingredient in cooking, or to make smoothies with. I always keep some in the freezer, because with only two in the house who aren't big milk drinkers to begin with, it kept going sour on us...but then if I just avoided buying it, we'd inevitably need some for a recipe.

I grew up in Alaska and we had to drive really far to get groceries and my mom froze milk all the time. It always tasted great - especially compared to powdered milk which we would have to drink if we were snowed in for too long. - Go for it.

My mother said that when I was a baby, and they were in the military, she froze milk all the time. They got paid once a month, and she bought her staples then. She said she never had a problem.

Yes i freeze milk all of the time too. I found it particularly useful to have some milk in the freezer this past winter as a back up when the weather was too bad to get to the shops.

Claire :)

I live in Maine and never once thought of doing this in oreoaration for one of our many storms! Great idea:thumbsup2

This is sort of different, but I have a milk cow, and have frozen cream to later use for making cheese and butter. I have read that many people people freeze their raw milk when the cow is dry to avoid buying milk during that time.

My mom used to do this. She would freeze quarts of milk in plastic bags. As I recall, it tasted perfectly fine to drink--the fat would separate out and float to the top--just like real milk!

I will do this when we go to WDW. That way we'll have milk when we get home. It works great and I never noticed a difference in taste. Basically if the milk has 4 days left before it expires when I freeze it I know I have 4 days after I defrost it to use it. :goodvibes

Oh, and I've accidentally frozen milk in my room fridge. It was fine once it defrosted. Actually is was great-nice and cold in my cereal!

I freeze gallons all the time. I pour a little out to leave room for expansion and in the freezer it goes. It may lighten the color just a tad after defrosting but I shake it up and it's ready to go. Doesn't change the flavor at all.

We buy raw milk from a local farm, we get 2 gallons delivered each week. We normally go on vacation once or twice a year for a week and will have my mother in law throw those 2 gallons in the freezer for us while we are gone. They take awhile to thaw out but tastes fine, I just leave it out at room temp to thaw. The local health food store that sells the same raw milk, sells it frozen in 1/2 gallon containers. I don't know why I haven't thought of separating the cream at the top and freezing that until I have enough to make butter, thanks cinabug!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter