• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone following the NYC iPhone case?

Oh my!

You are not a girl at 22, you are a grown woman! Accept responsibility for your actions, own your wrongdoings. Since her parents obviously failed her, the justice system will have to step in. Oh please give her a judge who isn't a douche and claims something stupid like "affluenza." :rolleyes2 She needs to learn. She needs to grow up.

All for a phone. :sad2:

Even if the teen was right next to her when she lost her phone, she had no business accusing him without any proof. I am also appalled that the manager took her side, again with no proof. Hotel employees should stay neutral, especially when no investigation has been made. Just ask instead of accuse, and apologize when you’re wrong. We wouldn’t be talking about this if she had simply said her phone was missing and the same model as the teen’s phone, and had he seen it? If someone asked me that question, I would flash the Lock Screen at them, which has a photo of me and Mickey Mouse from a private event, so it would show it was my phone, and say sorry, I haven’t seen it, but if I do, I will give it to the hotel to return to you. I understand asking the people around you if they have seen your missing phone. How hard would it have been to be polite, as well as panicked because her phone was missing? She deserves some harsh punishment IMO.

I have found my fair share of phones and expensive cameras on vacation, especially at Disney, and have always turned them in. I once found an expensive camera hanging on the door of my restroom stall off a hotel lobby and could never figure out how they missed taking it with them. I mean, you face the door before you open it, so wouldn’t you see the camera? People need to take more personal responsibility for their belongings.

She’s the worst. Completely played the victim She was old enough to know better and when she said “ok Gail enough” with her hand up, they should have stopped and not giving her a voice. Everything about her screams entitled and she was never told no a day in her life

I heard about it, but apparently it wasn’t the first or even second time she was arrested. Was on probation for a previous DUI, and arrested for another. Someone recorded one arrest. She was tailed by a bystander after getting into a vehicle visibly drunk and then driving off before stopping at a gas station. She blew a 0.14 BAC.

Reports are that she could get up to 6 months in jail for a probation violation, where she plead no contest and got 3 years probation and 30 hours of community service. That may have to wait for her 4 felony charges in New York.

I’m reading 4 arrests in less than a year. 3 of them involved alcohol. Strangely enough I don't think she was intoxicated during the iPhone incident.

Why didn't they demand that someone try to call HER phone? When it DIDN'T ring on the young man's phone, they could have realized that it was the wrong phone.
SIM cards can be removed. But at the very least it was a stretch to think that this kid's device was hers and that he was guilty until proven innocent. I would have told her to buzz off too.

This isn't news. This is a girl who did something stupid, she was charged, and will now have to lawyer up. At the end of the day, this really isn't news. Unfortunately, this is how "journalism" operates today and they find the bottom feeders of society, give them airtime, and then go back for follow up interviews on what was already a non-news story. Wash, rinse, repeat and onto the next non-news story.

Ok first stop calling her a girl. She is an adult woman. Her I’m a young girl is pure crap. And why I detest using girl for adult women. (We don’t routinely call adult men boys do we?)

I can see why she may have panicked. All her info, plane tickets, Apple Pay, contacts etc were in her phone. She would have been up the creek w/o it

which does nothing to justify her behavior. In any way shape or for,. Her lawyer needs to ditch her as a client.

She entered into a plea bargain. Admitted guilt and there's no jail time as long as she stays out of trouble.

D.A. Bragg Announces Guilty Plea of Miya Ponsetto for Attacking Black Teenager at Arlo Hotel​

APRIL 11, 2022​

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin L. Bragg, Jr., today announced the guilty plea of MIYA PONSETTO, 23, for falsely accusing a Black teenager of stealing her cellphone, and then attacking him at the Arlo SoHo Hotel in December 2020. PONSETTO pleaded guilty to Unlawful Imprisonment in the Second Degree as a Hate Crime. Under the terms of the plea, PONSETTO will be required for two years to abide by the terms of her California probation stemming from a separate case, continue counseling, and avoid further interaction with the criminal justice system. If PONSETTO successfully follows these terms, she can then replead to Aggravated Harassment in the Second Degree, a class A misdemeanor. If she does not comply, she faces up to 1 1/3 to 4 years in state prison.​
“Ms. Ponsetto displayed outrageous behavior. As a Black man, I have personally experienced racial profiling countless times in my life and I sympathize with the young man victimized in this incident. This plea ensures appropriate accountability for Ms. Ponsetto by addressing underlying causes for her behavior and ensuring this conduct does not reoccur,” said District Attorney Bragg.​
After making false accusations that the 14-year-old victim had stolen her cell phone, PONSETTO then repeatedly attacked and dragged him to the floor, despite attempts of numerous witnesses to intervene.​
Assistant District Attorneys Sarah Marquez and Stephanie Ritter handled the case under the supervision of Jeanne Olivo and Hannah Yu; assisted by Trial Preparation Assistant Molly Ketterer and analysts Sasha Hodson, Alexandria Pontious, and Lydia Culp. DANY Investigators Ralph Hanna and Jeff Salta, and Detectives Kenneth Rosello and Alistair Bascom from NYPD also assisted with the case.​
Convicted:​
  • Unlawful Imprisonment in the Second Degree as a Hate Crime, a class E felony, one count
  • Aggravated Harassment in the Second Degree, a class A misdemeanor, one count

Yet another case of DA's not doing their jobs. No way this should be pled down to less than a felony for this. Take a stand and actually prosecute the actual crimes that are occurring in your jurisdiction. Will CA have the guts to violate her probation for this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter