Anyone fly from Cleveland recently?

P00H1010

DIS Veteran
We booked a last minute Memorial Day weekend trip last night. Yay :)

We normally fly out of Akron Canton but no airline currently offers non stops and for the prices it made more sense to fly out of Cleveland this time.

So for people who have flown from CLE recently my questions...

1) I know there is construction going on at the airport. We want to park in a parking garage (some of them are closed for construction but the one we want is open). Because of some of the garages being closed did you find it hard to find spots? Were you instead directed to the further away lot with the shuttle bus?

2) I have heard about the TSA backups. I know some airports are worse than others. What was your experience? We are leaving Saturday May 28th in the morning, we not checking bags and will already have our boarding passes printed.

We have flown out of Cleveland before but its been a while, we are so used to Akron which is much smaller. I am just concerned between construction, TSA backups and it being a holiday weekend what we are in for hehe. Thoughts? Thanks so much for any input!!!

Flew out of CLE on Easter and dh flew about 3 weeks ago.

We used Park n Fly. The shuttle did drop you off farther away. We had to walk to the stairs, go down under the road, back up and you're at the ticket counters.

TSA is not good. I waited about 45 mins to get thru on Easter morning at 5:30 AM. DH waited about 30 mins on a Friday at 6 am. I would definitely plan to be at the airport 2 hours before to allow time for parking and TSA.

Are you flying Frontier? We did in April and it was great. Have a great trip.

Get the TSA app for your phone and you can check the wait at the airport. If you follow the airport on Social Media, they announce just about every morning which parking lots are open. I use Airport Fast Park and take the shuttle over. I actually drop my mom off at the terminal, then I park the car and take the shuttle without any luggage. But it is the same walk if you park in the garage or take the shuttle.

Now, with that being said, allegedly the construction is supposed to be cleared up around Memorial Day. If that is the case, then the Pre-Check line will be open and clear out some of the people in the security line.

Just pack a little patience.

Have fun!

1) I know there is construction going on at the airport. We want to park in a parking garage (some of them are closed for construction but the one we want is open). Because of some of the garages being closed did you find it hard to find spots? Were you instead directed to the further away lot with the shuttle bus?

2) I have heard about the TSA backups. I know some airports are worse than others. What was your experience?

1. There were only ever two garages on the airport property. For some reason they knocked one down and converted it to a surface lot. It's entirely possible that both of those lots could be full when you arrive. Consider the Brown lot or one of the private lots (Park-N-Fly, etc.). The shuttle busses are all quick and effective.

2. I have recently experienced TSA backups approaching one hour. So bad that the lines for the A terminal actually overlapped the line for the C terminal. It's all associated with the conversion of the B checkpoint to TSA Pre-Check only. If you aren't trying to access a ticket counter then that will probably save a significant headache trying to figure out which line is which (ticket counter vs security).

The only effective countermeasure is to arrive much earlier than necessary at other airports. I've found that 90 minutes is cutting it too close at CLE, even at 6am on a Saturday. I've nearly missed flights twice with that amount of margin, but for me that did include a checked bag drop at United. IMHO the construction makes the situation worse, but is not itself the root of the problems.

I fly out of Cleveland about twice a week, and believe me, it's not pleasant.

The city has done everything in their power to make parking a nightmare.

I'll always try for the so-called smart garage, but sometimes that's closed. Their labeling and roadsides are poor.

The TSA experience is one of the worst in the nation, and everyone from the airport director to the Federal Security Director should be fired and criminally charged for their mishandling of the line waits. The only positive is that both checkpoints will get you into the terminal. So pick the one moving quickest.

TSA's app usually isn't a good indicator of line wait time because some reports have said its capped at 31mins. Even when the line is 45-60mins.

I miss Orlando nonstops from CAK. I can't risk flying Allegiant from CAK-Orlando Sanford, and I really wish they'd abandon this route so maybe Southwest could come back.

Thanks everyone for your responses! You guys were quite helpful :)

Are you flying Frontier? We did in April and it was great. Have a great trip.
We are flying Spirit, it is our first time flying with them. Hoping all goes smoothly :)

If you follow the airport on Social Media, they announce just about every morning which parking lots are open.

Now, with that being said, allegedly the construction is supposed to be cleared up around Memorial Day. If that is the case, then the Pre-Check line will be open and clear out some of the people in the security line.
Thanks for the tip about following the airport on social media... I will check that out. I would be thrilled if the construction is finished in time for our flight (not counting on it though lol).

1. There were only ever two garages on the airport property. For some reason they knocked one down and converted it to a surface lot. It's entirely possible that both of those lots could be full when you arrive. Consider the Brown lot or one of the private lots (Park-N-Fly, etc.). The shuttle busses are all quick and effective.

2. I have recently experienced TSA backups approaching one hour. So bad that the lines for the A terminal actually overlapped the line for the C terminal. It's all associated with the conversion of the B checkpoint to TSA Pre-Check only. If you aren't trying to access a ticket counter then that will probably save a significant headache trying to figure out which line is which (ticket counter vs security).

The only effective countermeasure is to arrive much earlier than necessary at other airports. I've found that 90 minutes is cutting it too close at CLE, even at 6am on a Saturday. I've nearly missed flights twice with that amount of margin, but for me that did include a checked bag drop at United. IMHO the construction makes the situation worse, but is not itself the root of the problems.
Thanks for the info!

I miss Orlando nonstops from CAK. I can't risk flying Allegiant from CAK-Orlando Sanford, and I really wish they'd abandon this route so maybe Southwest could come back.
Me too! I was so upset when they announced that. The non-stops from CAK was our go-to option for Disney. Even though we are closer to CLE, the price and less headaches because its a smaller airport was well worth the further drive. Here's to hoping they eventually bring them back!

They posted today that some of the construction walls are coming down. I did ask when the TSA pre-check line was opening back up and they said mid-June. Which stinks because I fly next Friday!

Have a great trip.

My DH flew out of CLE on Monday morning. He said it took 50 mins to get through security. I think he got to the airport at 5:45 am for his 7:45 flight.

Starting June 4th there will be a non-stop on Saturdays only from CAK-MCO 12:20-2:50. Non-stop from MCO-CAK will be 9:35-11:55 starting June 11th

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter