Anyone flown US Airways?

Sencybil

SSR again October 2016....
Hello

I'm hoping to travel next Autumn, so flights aren't released yet, but its getting close so I've been 'practising' with earlier October dates. Just wondering if anyone has any views on US Airways? They fly from Gatwick which is a lot more convenient for us than Heathrow. How was the service and food, and the change in Charlotte?

Thanks,
Sencybil x

flown with us airways october 18th CDG-PHL-MCO

plane (A330) was nice
the crew was your regular crew, nothing fancy, nothing to complain about

inflight entertainment was above what we experienced with united. loads of movies, but poor selection of games
earphones are for sale on board so bring your own (older type of planes require the 2 prongs jack adapter, our A330 was ok with a regular jack plug)

food was ok
we had chicken barbecue with green beans and carrots (mashed) a salad and a brownie
DS had the child meal (need to request well in advance) that was mashed potato (nuggets) and chicken nuggets. it was good but a little too "microwaved" as far as texture goes
before landing we had a provolon-tomato panini which was rather good
beverage service was ok throughout the flight

I can't comment on CLT since we went through PHL but we were originally booked through CLT and the route changed 4 months before departure
PHL was busy.

Allow a comfortable connection time (2hr+ as a minimum)

we did not fly US Airways on the way back.
When we arrived at MCO, our plane was still held in PHL over maintenance issues. At the counter they never told us about that, even though they knew that we would have to be rebooked.
They checked our suitcases and let us go through security and let us wait for hours before telling us we would need to go to the Delta desk on the other side of security and on the other side of the airport.

To make matter worse they lost all 3 of our suitcases in the process (we got them back 4 days later, delivered at home)

we flew Delta on MCO-JFK and then Air France on JFK-CDG

Even though I don't like Air France, I must admit it's been the best service we've had in years.

Overall I'd say that our US Airways experience was no worse, nor better than with any other carrier.

It's just average cattle class long haul
but despite all our trouble, we'll probably choose US Airways again for our next trip, we'll just make sure we leave more time for connections

Thank you, that's a very comprehensive review - fantastic! Its really helpful to know the IFE was pretty good, and the food is no worse than the alternative carriers.

I think to save around £1000 its probably well worth the average cattle class service compared to Virgin / BA. I guess the cancellation / delay / suitcase loss could happen with any of the airlines that we're looking at (Delta, United etc).

Sencybil
xx

Hello

I'm hoping to travel next Autumn, so flights aren't released yet, but its getting close so I've been 'practising' with earlier October dates. Just wondering if anyone has any views on US Airways? They fly from Gatwick which is a lot more convenient for us than Heathrow. How was the service and food, and the change in Charlotte?

Thanks,
Sencybil x

Charlotte Airport is much smaller than Gatwick and Philadelphia and should not be a problem in naviagating to change planes. You'll still have customs and immigration to go through, so you'll need additional time for that. And, as far as flying US Airways from Gatwick, I've not had a problem, but haven't traveled across the pond in quite some time. Travel costs are the major deciding factor for me.

Have an enjoyable time planning! Karen

I hear so many people not necessarily complain about US Airways but maybe put them down a little bit?

First off, I just want to say myself I am not a fan of Virgin and never have been. For the prices they can charge and right now I can find LGW-MCO-LGW for £900, that to me is ridiculous and they are not worth that at all.

We tend to now pick who we fly with on prices as a means to an end and if the service or IFE is good, well thats a bonus.

We flew US when they did the BHX-PHL route a couple years back. Needless to say when we found a good route, they pull it, seems to be our luck. We went with US and they left Birmingham at 9am. We found that when we arrived we were the first international flight and this meant the immigration line was empty so got through real quickly.

But onboard well everything seemed great! The seats were leather and comfortable. The legroom was fine like many other carriers and the IFE was good also. The food, well no one flies for the food but it was edible and if not, do what my mum did and get sandwiches before you board.

The crew were all attentive and brought drinks round regularly and were just generally nice.

Baggage was off quick in all destinations and just generally were a good airline for the price you pay.

I would never say no to flying with them again and would recommend them over Virgin.

We flew earlier this month with them (MAN - PHILLY- MCO) 2nd year doing this route.

No complaints - staff fine, food ok, IFE excellent - lots of kids films, plenty of films for us - new release and older stuff - all on demand.

Would book again no problem.

Never used them from London but used them from MAN a few times, my least favourite transatlantic airline but if the price is right I use them.
With all airlines its down to the plane & staff you get on the day, how quick luggage is handled or how fast immigration is doesn't matter who you fly with. I use any airline, all down to cost.

I hope they are okay as we are using themm in 3 weeks! pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Yes, price is the major factor for me too, but maybe because I'm looking so far ahead, there's a clutch of carriers all coming up pretty much the same - so its down to flight times / length of whole journey, departure airport and service levels. I had a perception that they were the 'least good' of the bunch, but all your comments have reassured me they're about on a par. LGW is, as I said, preferable, and I like the sound of Charlotte being fairly small.

Really appreciate all your help!

Thanks again

Sencybil xx

As some have said here they may not be the best but for the price difference with Virgin I will fly them every trip. They even offer a bag drop same as Virgin does at Downtown Disney at the off airport check in facility located at the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores Outlet mall.

After all that, I have booked with Virgin. By staying up til 1 in the morning I got the cheapest fare on the return leg, making it £635 pp (av between 2 adults one child). This made it less than £80 more pp than indirect – and I reckoned it was worth that, although we are coming back on the Sunday rather than the Saturday. Oh well, dd will just have to miss a(nother) day of school!! Getting twilight check in at Gatwick and Downtown Disney check in for the return flight are worthwhile bonuses for us.

Woo Hooo :woohoo: - 23 nights of Florida fun (Oct 11th – Nov 3rd 2013) :cheer2:. Need to get me a ticker!

Sencybil xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter