Anyone fed up with flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me again

Mouseketeer
We haven't flown together as a family for a vacation for about a year, our last trip was right before they started the ban on gels, liquid, etc.

My dh has flown several times this last year on business, every trip was problematic. Our last flight was marred by delayed flights, missed connections, lost baggage, etc. We've traveled by air many, many times without a mishap, seems all the bad luck happened at once.

Yes, I understand security is a necessity, wouldn't want to travel without it, but stories like the one yesterday about the toddler kicked off a flight for saying "bye bye airplane", another story about a month ago about a teenager kicked off a flight for coughing, well...all that, combined with the incredible hassle that flying has turned into has made me reconsider traveling by air unless absolutely necessary.

We are considering a trip around the end of the summer, before school starts, and I'm thinking that a driving trip would be a nice change of pace (actually, my kids have never had a driving trip, all our trips have been by plane). There's a lot of advantages, cost being one. yes, gas costs, but not as much as 4 plane tickets. Also, we can go when we want, no more being tied to a plane schedule and the stress involved with trying to catch a flight. Also, can take more stuff without worrying about getting it through security.

Our last trip was marred by a 5 hour delay coming back, that was just in the airport, then sat on the runway almost an hour before take off. We could have drove in less time. Also, airports are increasingly crowded, people are rude, they will just as soon knock you over and step on your face to get where they're going.

So, anyone else decide to give up on air travel, at least for family vacations?

Me, me, me! It's just too much hassle to fly now a days and I even have the luxury of flying for free (my husband is a pilot). I refuse to unless my husband travels with me and then only if we'll be someplace for a least a week...anything less just isn't worth the trouble. I gave up visiting friends this week because the thought of having to fly and dealing with the rude people, the TSA, the delays was too much. Not to mention that I'm terrified of getting involved in an "incident" like that mom on the Continental Express flight or the mom at Reagan a couple of months ago. No thank you. i wish we lived within driving distance of Disney and we would be all about that!

You have such bad luck, do you ever think your life if much harder than everyone else's? I love peace and not chaos, so I guess I would choose the most peaceful plan and the one I could afford.

popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

My dad is retired from an airline and I much prefer to drive anymore (and it's not always cheaper). 11yo has terrible problems with her ears anyway, so it makes it much easier on everyone. I grew up on road trips across Europe, 400 or so days of our 7.5 years there were spent on the road, so it's second nature to me. We try to enjoy the journey, not just the destination. It's also nice to have our own vehicle wherever we wind up. Yes, it takes much longer to drive, even adding in the delays, waiting for baggage, picking up rentals, etc, but for us, the stress is SO much less.

You have such bad luck, do you ever think your life if much harder than everyone else's? I love peace and not chaos, so I guess I would choose the most peaceful plan and the one I could afford.

Huh? I'm not the one who was booted of a plane with a babbling toddler. Just interested in other people's opinions of travel by air nowdays.

Our family does both road trips and travel by plane. I could not imagine nixing air travel all together though. We haven't had any problems with the airlines and we have flown more than a dozen times in the past year alone. The restrictions drive me nuts, but definitely doesn't deter me at all. If we drive somewhere it has to be within 12-15 hours drive time because I just don't like to drive more than that and I want to be at my destination within a day. Yes, traveling by car is better in some respects, you can bring the kitchen sink with you as long as you have room in the car. However, I do like being able to hop on a plane at 6am, take off by 6:30am and by 9am I am already in Orlando and driving to one of the theme parks (it would otherwise be a 20+ hour drive for us). The news stories of late have me wondering what kind of nut jobs are policing the airplanes these days (the baby and the coughing teen stories just crack me up-totally out of control)...sometimes I think the whole security issue has turned into paranoia and we look pretty darned foolish, but I guess there's not much you can do.

:flower3:

My thoughts exactly. Go for the less stressful method. Heck, I don't know, I might even just ride my bike, that is, if I had a good one that wouldn't embarrass me to ride on a long trip. :rolleyes1

My thoughts exactly. Go for the less stressful method. Heck, I don't know, I might even just ride my bike, that is, if I had a good one that wouldn't embarrass me to ride on a long trip. :rolleyes1

Oh, my! I just read that. So, you have financial issues that cause you to have to charge a bike and you have back issues. I would probably stay home. I cant believe I am reading posts by the same person...one can afford a vacation and one cant and they have the same name.:confused3

One descision I have made is to only do direct flights. I also have bad problems with my ears and one flight is so much easier than 2. Also you eliminate the issue of connection problems - and much of the resulting lost luggage problems. If there is a problem, at least you are stuck at home. We only have one discount carrier that flies to Orlando but that is what we are trying the next trip - flying into Sanford. Other destinations I will seriously consider driving 3 hours to a larger airport to get a direct flight from there.

I hate to fly, so I rarely fly, usually about once a year. I have never had any problems with lost luggage, rude passangers of airline staff. But yes, constant problems with connections, Chicago seems to always be trouble for us.

My DF and I have found a great biking trail along the Eastern seaboard. It is great for the hair and luckily a lot of it does not have phone service.

Just because we live in a safe place does not give anyone the right to treat other people rudely which is so often the case once you walk into an airport - from either other passengers, airline staff or TSA agents unnecessarily being rude. But I guess that has as much logic as going on a message board chastising people for making innocent comments about hating to fly.

Only if it cost at least 400.00. I would hate to have motorists mocking me and making me feel bad about myself. Anyway, I think the fellow passengers and airline workers would appreciate the road trip.:cheer2:

Oh, my! I just read that. So, you have financial issues that cause you to have to charge a bike and you have back issues. I would probably stay home. I cant believe I am reading posts by the same person...one can afford a vacation and one cant and they have the same name.:confused3

This whole thread is not about my finances, but about air travel. Let's stay on topic, ok? Oh, btw, my back is much better, thanks for your concern!

to the origional poster- I know just what you mean! I have been a travel agent for more than 23yrs and I just have to say, these past few months have just been awful! Flight delays, flight cancellations, rude airlines employees, really rude "think they know it all" tsa people, just everything! I hear all sorts of stories and I myself don't look forward to flying at all anymore! :sad2:

I will admit, some airlines are much, much better at customer service than others but I have a top 3 for the absolute worst and can't believe the crap they pull on people!

I hope you can take a vacation this summer! It's SO stressful and I just want to get to my destination, safely and have a good time! So hard to do anymore!

Good Luck!
:thumbsup2

Ah... You're catching on! ;) ~ :rolleyes1

I'm locking this one.

Please refrain from trying to antagonize eachother. There are far to many posts on this board like that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter