Anyone familiar with Milwaukee, WI area?

DreamingoftheCastle

Earning My Ears
So, we’re thinking of a quick family vacation before school starts. After a lot of discussion, we’re thinking of the Milwaukee/Racine area of Wisconsin. It’s a reasonable drive for us and none of us have been to Wisconsin before. Any suggestions for what to do/where to go? It’s me, DH, DD16, DD12, and DS11. We love museums, educational tours, fun places. We’re thinking of doing at least one day at North Beach. I’d love any advice or suggestions.

Where are you from?
Down in Racine, there is not much to do. I know there is a Jelly Stone Camping park.

Milwaukee does have one of the better Zoo's in the U.S. I would recommend a few hours there.
Milwaukee has a great Children's Museum & larger Museum.

If you are going to North Beach, get there early, not much parking.
There are some funky/good restaurants near Bayshore, St. Francis area where the Milwaukee Express comes in to Dock. It is a quick ferry boat between Milwaukee and Michigan. If you are from Michigan this would be fun to go at least one way on.
The Miller/Coors bottling plant by the Brewer Stadium is a free tour. Free beer and lemonade/pretzels after the tour. I have been on the tour a couple of times. You get to go down into an old cave are and walk around.
On Friday nite, there is a Fish Fry at an Old German Beer House/with a German Band playing. http://www.thebavarianbierhaus.com/services.php?section=5678

There is a Bronz Statue of The Fonz on the River Walk.

Each weekend at the Summerfest Grounds along the Shore, is some sort of celebration for a cultural event.

I definitely agree with Mari and recommend the Milwaukee Public Museum and the Milwaukee County Zoo. They are both outstanding. I think the Betty Brinn Children's Museum is great, but I think your kids might have aged out of that.

I would add my recommendation for Discovery World - it's a science and technology museum, lots of hand on stuff, and also an aquarium.

Maybe see if you can get tickets to a Brewers game?

The Bristol Renaissance Faire is only about 30 min from Racine. We only were able to go once, but it was a lot of fun and very memorable.

I know this is mainstream and you may have one where you live, but my DS always enjoyed (and still does) Dave and Busters. We didn't have one where we lived, so this was fun for him.

I echo the sentiments of the previous poster!

I'd like to add that you must go a "Fest". It's really quintessential Milwaukee in the summer!!

I'm not sure when you're visiting, but plenty left to enjoy!
Currently, Summerfest is happening through July 8th

But we have Plenty of others still to come!
Bastille Days
Festa Italiana
German Fest
WI State Fair--- not a "fest", but really great!
Irish Fest
...and a bunch more you can search...

Also, anytime we host out of town friends during season, we go to a Brewers Game.
The stadium is pretty cool, the food/beer/fun is way above average, and the Racing Sausages are a huge hit!!

I’m looking into all these suggestions. I think we’ll have a great time. How about suggestions for trying some Wisconsin cheese? My kids asked about cheese, lol.

Well hellooo! It's not every day that I see a thread asking about vacation tips in my neck of the woods! :laughing:

Cheese? You must visit Mars Cheese Castle in Kenosha! Tons of free samples. I highly recommend the VERY fresh Malcore's cheese curds. I love the plain ones and the "spicy" ones (they really aren't as spicy as they look). The goat cheese curds (not Malcore's brand) are also pretty yummy.

Restaurants to try in Racine:
  • Olde Madrid - Spanish/Mediterranean cuisine (tapas and paella) - make sure to get Maria's Beef Stew. DH and I also love the Seafood Gumbo, Catalan Scallops, Duck Croquetas, and the Goat Cheese tapa (can't remember the name). We enjoy the tapas more than the paella, but the paella is really good, too! I also highly recommend the flan, flourless chocolate cake, and cheesecakes (all homemade and flavors change regularly).
  • Salute - homemade Italian food. DH and I always order the Rigatoni alla Vodka, but we also like the Gnocchi with tomato sauce and thin crust pizza. The pasta is all handmade. The bread they serve pre-meal is always very fresh. Usually, a waiter will offer a free shot of Sambuca post-meal. If you've never had it, just give it a shot. (Pun intended!)
  • Corner House - A great place for celebrations, this is kind of like an old-school supper club. It's pricey. Highly recommend the Prime Rib and Steak entrees, as well as the french onion soup and Brandy Ice dessert (for adults).
  • O&H Bakery - I think the Durand Ave. location is the better one, but the one on Washington is alright, too. They are famous for their Kringle. I think the Cream Cheese and Almond flavors are best, but they're all pretty good, to be honest. O&H is also well known for their Carrot Cake.
  • Sticky Rice - yummy Thai food at reasonable prices.

IDK if you want to venture into Kenosha, but in case you do... I'd highly recommend visiting the public and Civil War Museums (they're right next to each other). While you're there, spend some time walking around the harbor - it's beautiful. Some fun places for snacks downtown are Scoops and Sandy's Popper. For coffee, check out Common Grounds or The Buzz. I HIGHLY recommend having breakfast at Frank's Diner downtown. It is always busy, but it is DEFINITELY worth the wait for Garbage Plates (I know that doesn't sound appealing, but please trust me). On the weekends, we have an awesome Harbor Market. If you walk a little futher past the harbor, you'll eventually run into Kemper Center. It's a historic building and attached to the Durkee Mansion. They sometimes are open to the public/have tours, so you could check into that. I usually walk through at Christmas, and it's fascinating at that time. Finally, I'd also recommend La Fogata for Mexican food (it's not authentic, but it's delicious). Some other interesting spots away from the lake would be Petrifying Springs Park for a fun nature walk - follow the walkway into the woods and circle through the park - it will take about an hour if you don't stop. It's gorgeous. My mom and I just had a momma deer come practically right up to us - it scared us a little bit, but what a story! Tenuta's Italian Grocery Store is not to be missed either. It's a Kenosha institution. My in-laws who live in MKE just LOVE going there. Finally, Kenosha has an amazing outlet mall. We always bring out-of-towners there. If you enjoy Japanese food, you might really enjoy Honada - it's a gem. And YES to the Bristol Renaissance Faire! It's only open on some weekends during the summer - plan accordingly! I think if you love museums, you'll have a ball - it's a living one.

Milwaukee... I definitely second going to the zoo - it's great. I am an avid shopper and very much enjoy Mayfair Mall. Bayshore Mall is also beautiful - but outdoors. The Milwaukee Public Market is super fun, as is all of the Third Ward. Try to get to a Brewers game if you can, as well as some kind of festival - in the summer, there is always something going on. I haven't been to the museums in decades, so I can't speak to that. I can't speak much to breweries either, since I don't drink much. An afternoon at Bradford Beach might be fun, but parking is a nightmare. Construction is honestly a nightmare in MKE right now, so good luck in general... the Zoo Interchange has been under construction the entire time I have known my husband, and it is STILL a mess. :scared1: Ooh, I thought of one more thing - there are some cool boat tours, too.

Restaurants to try in MKE:
  • Kopp's - if for nothing else, frozen custard - the BEST. Check out their flavor forecast online and see which days appeal to you most and go for it! Seriously, it would be a real shame if you didn't get there. The best Kopp's, in my opinion, is in Greenfield. They have a spacious outdoor seating area.
  • Barnacle Bud's - It is not easy to find, and you'll think you're not going the right way when you drive there, because it's pretty much hidden. I brought my dad there last year and he LOVED it. It's an outdoor restaurant right on the river, next to a Skipper Bud's. You'll see countless boats go by. They have the BEST fried fish baskets. Their crab cakes and Key Lime Pie are super yummy, too.
  • Benelux or Cafe Hollander - very similar restaurants - see which area works for you
  • Le Reve - If you enjoy French cuisine, you HAVE to try it.
  • Honeypie - The BEST pies ever for dessert.
  • Colectivo Coffee - Not to eat at but a great place to have some local coffee.
  • Sobelman's and/or AJ Bombers - both of these are great burger places and they were on Food Wars. I can't remember who won - I think they're both great, though.
  • Bel Aire Cantina - serious hipster Mexican food - it's not for everyone but if you're into interesting, adventurous flavors, you might love it. Lots of locations around MKE...
  • Thainamite - Newer in the Tosa (Wauwatosa) area but I think there's another location. My in-laws LOVE this place and go there all the time.

I'll see if I can think of anything else for you. I hope that was helpful. I have out-of-town guests visiting frequently, and this is pretty much what I recommend to them.

There are a few cheese places not far from Racine. Take a look at Mars Cheese castle it’s off of 94. Brewery tours are fun in Milwaukee. The Sprecher tour offers free soda to the kids...lots to choose from. My favorite casual eats would be Kopps Frozen Custard. There is also a Harley Davidson Museum. Definitely check out the Fest schedule as other posters have mentioned.
Honestly, there is nothing in Racine. Just head up to Milwaukee!

There are a few cheese places not far from Racine. Take a look at Mars Cheese castle it’s off of 94. Brewery tours are fun in Milwaukee. The Sprecher tour offers free soda to the kids...lots to choose from. My favorite casual eats would be Kopps Frozen Custard. There is also a Harley Davidson Museum. Definitely check out the Fest schedule as other posters have mentioned.
Honestly, there is nothing in Racine. Just head up to Milwaukee!

North Beach is really the only "attraction" I'd hit in Racine, but I do think they have some pretty awesome restaurants.

Ooh, I just thought of another thing. It's no Disney, but your kids might enjoy Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL. I'm not sure where you're coming from - maybe they've already been there. I think the roller coasters there are pretty good. I used to LOVE going there as a teen.

Well hellooo! It's not every day that I see a thread asking about vacation tips in my neck of the woods! :laughing:

Cheese? You must visit Mars Cheese Castle in Kenosha! Tons of free samples. I highly recommend the VERY fresh Malcore's cheese curds. I love the plain ones and the "spicy" ones (they really aren't as spicy as they look). The goat cheese curds (not Malcore's brand) are also pretty yummy.

Restaurants to try in Racine:
  • Olde Madrid - Spanish/Mediterranean cuisine (tapas and paella) - make sure to get Maria's Beef Stew. DH and I also love the Seafood Gumbo, Catalan Scallops, Duck Croquetas, and the Goat Cheese tapa (can't remember the name). We enjoy the tapas more than the paella, but the paella is really good, too! I also highly recommend the flan, flourless chocolate cake, and cheesecakes (all homemade and flavors change regularly).
  • Salute - homemade Italian food. DH and I always order the Rigatoni alla Vodka, but we also like the Gnocchi with tomato sauce and thin crust pizza. The pasta is all handmade. The bread they serve pre-meal is always very fresh. Usually, a waiter will offer a free shot of Sambuca post-meal. If you've never had it, just give it a shot. (Pun intended!)
  • Corner House - A great place for celebrations, this is kind of like an old-school supper club. It's pricey. Highly recommend the Prime Rib and Steak entrees, as well as the french onion soup and Brandy Ice dessert (for adults).
  • O&H Bakery - I think the Durand Ave. location is the better one, but the one on Washington is alright, too. They are famous for their Kringle. I think the Cream Cheese and Almond flavors are best, but they're all pretty good, to be honest. O&H is also well known for their Carrot Cake.
  • Sticky Rice - yummy Thai food at reasonable prices.

IDK if you want to venture into Kenosha, but in case you do... I'd highly recommend visiting the public and Civil War Museums (they're right next to each other). While you're there, spend some time walking around the harbor - it's beautiful. Some fun places for snacks downtown are Scoops and Sandy's Popper. For coffee, check out Common Grounds or The Buzz. I HIGHLY recommend having breakfast at Frank's Diner downtown. It is always busy, but it is DEFINITELY worth the wait for Garbage Plates (I know that doesn't sound appealing, but please trust me). On the weekends, we have an awesome Harbor Market. If you walk a little futher past the harbor, you'll eventually run into Kemper Center. It's a historic building and attached to the Durkee Mansion. They sometimes are open to the public/have tours, so you could check into that. I usually walk through at Christmas, and it's fascinating at that time. Finally, I'd also recommend La Fogata for Mexican food (it's not authentic, but it's delicious). Some other interesting spots away from the lake would be Petrifying Springs Park for a fun nature walk - follow the walkway into the woods and circle through the park - it will take about an hour if you don't stop. It's gorgeous. My mom and I just had a momma deer come practically right up to us - it scared us a little bit, but what a story! Tenuta's Italian Grocery Store is not to be missed either. It's a Kenosha institution. My in-laws who live in MKE just LOVE going there. Finally, Kenosha has an amazing outlet mall. We always bring out-of-towners there. If you enjoy Japanese food, you might really enjoy Honada - it's a gem. And YES to the Bristol Renaissance Faire! It's only open on some weekends during the summer - plan accordingly! I think if you love museums, you'll have a ball - it's a living one.

Milwaukee... I definitely second going to the zoo - it's great. I am an avid shopper and very much enjoy Mayfair Mall. Bayshore Mall is also beautiful - but outdoors. The Milwaukee Public Market is super fun, as is all of the Third Ward. Try to get to a Brewers game if you can, as well as some kind of festival - in the summer, there is always something going on. I haven't been to the museums in decades, so I can't speak to that. I can't speak much to breweries either, since I don't drink much. An afternoon at Bradford Beach might be fun, but parking is a nightmare. Construction is honestly a nightmare in MKE right now, so good luck in general... the Zoo Interchange has been under construction the entire time I have known my husband, and it is STILL a mess. :scared1: Ooh, I thought of one more thing - there are some cool boat tours, too.

Restaurants to try in MKE:
  • Kopp's - if for nothing else, frozen custard - the BEST. Check out their flavor forecast online and see which days appeal to you most and go for it! Seriously, it would be a real shame if you didn't get there. The best Kopp's, in my opinion, is in Greenfield. They have a spacious outdoor seating area.
  • Barnacle Bud's - It is not easy to find, and you'll think you're not going the right way when you drive there, because it's pretty much hidden. I brought my dad there last year and he LOVED it. It's an outdoor restaurant right on the river, next to a Skipper Bud's. You'll see countless boats go by. They have the BEST fried fish baskets. Their crab cakes and Key Lime Pie are super yummy, too.
  • Benelux or Cafe Hollander - very similar restaurants - see which area works for you
  • Le Reve - If you enjoy French cuisine, you HAVE to try it.
  • Honeypie - The BEST pies ever for dessert.
  • Colectivo Coffee - Not to eat at but a great place to have some local coffee.
  • Sobelman's and/or AJ Bombers - both of these are great burger places and they were on Food Wars. I can't remember who won - I think they're both great, though.
  • Bel Aire Cantina - serious hipster Mexican food - it's not for everyone but if you're into interesting, adventurous flavors, you might love it. Lots of locations around MKE...
  • Thainamite - Newer in the Tosa (Wauwatosa) area but I think there's another location. My in-laws LOVE this place and go there all the time.

I'll see if I can think of anything else for you. I hope that was helpful. I have out-of-town guests visiting frequently, and this is pretty much what I recommend to them.
You can’t go wrong with Benelux or Cafe Hollander - both great choices. Fried cheese curds are a must when you’re here. :lovestruc

If you've never been to Wisconsin, have you ever considered the Dells? Very popular family destination.

Depending on how far you want to venture from Milwaukee, I would also second WI Dells, and add Cave of the Mounds and House on the Rock.

You mentioned you like educational, so I’ll throw in Pabst Mansion and Old World Wisconsin. Not the most exciting places for my kids but then again they would never willingly ask for education!

For smaller fillins, they do love CMP Laser Tag! They have a few locations around MKE. not your typical small laser tag, it’s in a big two story warehouse. Also maybe an Escape room.

Highly recommend the State Fair as well!

Oh my goodness! I knew it was a good idea to ask for suggestions here! Thank you all for the great ideas. :goodvibes

Isn’t it cool how every state has its own unique things to experience and see?

Sounds like we’ll eat well! The Renaissance Faire and laser tag are things that weren’t even on my radar.

Oh, and for those who asked, we’re from northeast Ohio. :wave2:

I'll recommend two restuarants.

Oscars it's on Pierce Street near the Mitchell Park Domes. Best burger in town. They just opened up a new location, which is good but the original is the best.

Botanas on Fifth Street. Very popular place, I've been going since it opened some 18 years ago. I have yet to walk out disappointed.

Would your family be interested in taking a blown glass class? Try looking into: Hot Shop Glass” in Racine.

What about old fashioned printing presses-look into classes at Bay View Printing?

For museums-the art museum, public museum are great suggestions, so is the Harley museum and the Pabst Mansion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter