• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone familiar with both Golden Retrievers AND Labrador Retrievers? SHEDDING??

MissMet

DIS Veteran
We unexpectedly "lost" our 1.5 year old dog due to aggression. We worked with her on it for 5 months, but she finally actually bit my husband on Christmas Eve. I watch my 2 year old nephew 40 hours/week in my home, so we can't risk it anymore trying to work with her in the home. Trust is gone. This has been heartbreaking for us, needless to say.

We are now in the beginning stages of finding a new family member. My husband & I want to take no chances with this and want either a Golden Retriever or a Lab, since they are popular dogs, that are proven to be great with families.

My question is regarding shedding. I HATE shedding & until our recent dog, I've never had a dog that sheds. My husband insists on a big dog, which basically means, SHEDDING. ugh. Our previous dog was a Olde English Bulldogge, not the typical Bulldog, but a larger healthier version. (kinda like a cross between Bulldog & Boxer). Anyway, her coat was, I'm assuming, similar to a Lab's- kinda like pin needles. A real pain since they really work themselves into clothing.

Would you say a Golden Retriever's hair sheds in clumps, individually or both?? I feel like with their soft hair, if it sheds in clumps it'd be a little easier to manage at least with clothing. I'm just trying to figure out which would be best.

Thanks in advance!

We unexpectedly "lost" our 1.5 year old dog due to aggression. We worked with her on it for 5 months, but she finally actually bit my husband on Christmas Eve. I watch my 2 year old nephew 40 hours/week in my home, so we can't risk it anymore trying to work with her in the home. Trust is gone. This has been heartbreaking for us, needless to say.

We are now in the beginning stages of finding a new family member. My husband & I want to take no chances with this and want either a Golden Retriever or a Lab, since they are popular dogs, that are proven to be great with families.

My question is regarding shedding. I HATE shedding & until our recent dog, I've never had a dog that sheds. My husband insists on a big dog, which basically means, SHEDDING. ugh. Our previous dog was a Olde English Bulldogge, not the typical Bulldog, but a larger healthier version. (kinda like a cross between Bulldog & Boxer). Anyway, her coat was, I'm assuming, similar to a Lab's- kinda like pin needles. A real pain since they really work themselves into clothing.

Would you say a Golden Retriever's hair sheds in clumps, individually or both?? I feel like with their soft hair, if it sheds in clumps it'd be a little easier to manage at least with clothing. I'm just trying to figure out which would be best.

Thanks in advance!

They are both bad shedders. We have smooth collies..(Lassie with short hair) they shed too but they are super gentle dogs and great family pets!!

Thanks in advance!

I have a 7 YO Labrador Retriever (mom was a Golden and Dad was a black Lab) but her hair is long like her mom's yet it's dark black. She sheds a lot, and does not have hair like the Lab. I do have to say that her hair comes off more in clumps than individually. I would imagine with any combination of those two dogs you're going to have some degree of shedding.

We signed up with the Golden Retriever Rescue for our first family dog. I had no clue about shedding. They had a beautiful half golden lab, and some retriever, smaller girl come their way. She was 3 years old and just perfect. She has short hair, so we thought - sweet - less shedding. Ummmmm nope.

She sheds like crazy, but is the most sweet, greatest dog EVER. We love her. She doesn't jump up on anyone, never jumps onto furniture, doesn't bark, just pure love.

I hope you find the best dog ever - she is worth all of her hair to us :rotfl:

We have a golden doodle puppy. Wonderful sweet dog and the shedding is minimal. A food brushing will keep her from shedding even less. Maybe think about a cross breed like that? ? I would think a golden retrievers hair would clump more than a lab. Both great dogs!!

Goldens shed ALOT! Their fur sheds in clumps everywhere. You may often wonder if it's better to vacuum the dog instead of the rug, just to save some time. But, their disposition and the love they will give you is so worth the shedding.

Goldens shed ALOT! Their fur sheds in clumps everywhere. You may often wonder if it's better to vacuum the dog instead of the rug, just to save some time. But, their disposition and the love they will give you is so worth the shedding.

We used to vacuum one of our goldens. We now have two goldens. One has longer hair than the other and sheds more...but in clumps.

Wouldn't trade my two very sweet, very gentle boys for any other dog.

Goldens definitely shed! Probably differently than a lab, but they shed. There will be individual pieces everywhere (clothes, furniture) and then fur "tumbleweeds" will collect on the floor. Goldens are wonderful though! We lost our sweet Riley last summer.

What about a Goldendoodle or something similar that sheds less? In Nov, we got a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and he doesn't shed at all. He will be at least 40# when full grown, so not a huge dog, but still a good size.

I showed and bred champion Golden Retrievers for years and know many Labrador owners having spent lots of time at shows by the Sporting Dog ring. Labs will shed like the pins and needles you describe on your previous dog. Goldens shed individual hairs and also in clumps and create Golden hair dust bunnies. However, the hair doesn't stick into stuff like pins the way Lab coat does. If you want a large non shedding retriever then get a Standard Poodle. Poodles historically were bred to retrieve in water as hunting dogs just like Goldens and Labs were. They are smarter in general than Labradors and Goldens which has both its advantages and drawbacks :) They don't shed they way other dogs do but require regular grooming since the hair just keeps growing and daily brushing to avoid matting.

Our black lab shed really bad....worse than the sheltie we had at the same time. He was so very sweet, though.

I have a golden retriever. He sheds quite a bit! But its easy to pick up because its in clumps. You can spot them easy on the hardwood too. Just pickup the clump of tumbleweed fur with your hand whenever you see one.

I think clumps of fur is easier to manage than the pins/needles kimd that a lab has.

If you comb your furbaby on their daily walk, and keep them off the couch, it should be fairly manageable.

Our boy is the most gentle loving creature ever. And i wouldnt trade him for anything. :)

We have had labs and goldens for the last 17 years, and they both shed. Labs shed their undercoat in the spring, and the fur comes out in clumps, they also shed all of the rest of the time.

Get a Furminator, and use it, at least 3 times a week, it really does cut down on the shedding. If I had to pick one breed, I'd get a golden. Our goldens have always been smarter than our labs.

Labs and Goldens are awesome, gentle, friendly dogs, but you will always be fighting dog-hair tumbleweeds around the house and fur on your clothes.

Of you want a sweet, smart, gentle big dog with no (or very little) shedding, have you considered looking at a Standard Poodle?

When they are mixed with labs or Goldens to get the -Doodle mixes, you may or may not get one that sheds, but the Poodles don't. They are great dogs!

Our golden has been gone for 8 years and I still find hair in the house. He was such a great dog though, so it was worth it. He shed in clumps mostly but I'd find hair clinging to everything.
We tried to brush daily to keep it under control.
I usually left the mats of hair outside too, the birds loved to build nests with it. I collect old nests and have 2 with our dogs hair in it.

We have a Labradoodle. (1/2 lab,1/2 poodle). Best family dog every, 72 pounds of love. He does not shed. From my understanding, they were bred to be service dogs for people with allergies.

Our Sam is 1/2 yellow lab and 1/2 golden retriever. He sheds terribly. It drives my husband insane. Its individual hairs everywhere. Constantly vaccuming, sweeping, and sticky brushing floors, furniture and us. I wouldn't take anything for him. Hes a loyal companion and the smartest dog I've ever had.

Consider a Standard Poodle. We had a standard poodle mix for 11 years (not sure what he was mixed with, but possibly a golden retriever.) Purebred Standard poodles are very smart, loyal, good with families and they hardly shed at all. Ours shed only a little. I would vacuum once a week, just a little ball of hair. Sure, there is some grooming expense but IMO, totally worth it~ I can't stand shedding so it severely limits our breed choices.

At the moment, we have a Bichon-Miniature Poodle, about 13-lbs. He looks like a little white teddy bear. Both breeds are known to be smart and good with most children.

Thank you everyone!! I just quickly skimmed through, on my way out the door (brrr!) but I wanted to stop & thank you guys for the input. I'm gonna read through more thoroughly later, but...

From what it sounds like from the little I've read on here, that the Golden's shedding is more of what I'm hoping for...I'd rather a heavier shedding with the Golden's hair balls, soft hair, than an average shedder with that pine needle type hair. With our previous dog those sticky lint rollers basically didn't touch 80% of the hair on our clothes cause it's so course and small. So I'm thinking the softer hair, while there will be even more of it, will be more manageable. Our former dog's bed, we literally would vacuum with the upright and the hose attachment, and it'd still be covered with hair! Ugh!

Poodles are out. My husband refuses. And both aren't big fans of the look of the Lab/Poodle Golden/Poodle mixes, plus it's only 50/50 on getting a non-shedder.

I'm leaning toward the Golden, while my husband leans more towards Lab. Ultimately, I have the final say- I trained him well. ;)

Be back later!! Thank you!!

I would agree with a standard poodle-smart,loyal and non shedding and despite the fact that the akc doesnt include them in the sporting group they are great gun dogs. Love Labs-and goldens but they do shed. Personally we have a Bernese Mountain Dog-absolutely the sweetest, smartest most loving dog EVER-and huge ( 110lbs at 15 months and still growing) and yes they shed-and shed-and shed and then once a year blow coat and go almost bald. I have an industrial strenghth vaccum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter