Anyone experience problems with names not exactly matching ID at check in?

cbsnyber1

Baxter All Grown Up
Has anyone had any issues checking in with an airline and the names of the people in the party not matching exactly the name on their ID?

I made flight reservations in July and at the time SW did not have the ability to add middle names or initials - first and last name only. A while ago I got an email from SW (because the reservation for our party of six is in my name) asking me to update my name to exactly match the name on my ID (PA drivers license). But they did not ask for updated names for the rest of our party.

Now our trip is a month away and I am wondering if I need to get everyone's name exactly as it is on their IDs. Am I over - worrying this one?

Don't worry too much. Worst case is you'll be subject to additional screening, but you won't be denied boarding.

I wouldn't think twice about Jane Doe on a ticket vs Jane T. Doe on a license.

I wouldn't think twice about Jane Doe on a ticket vs Jane T. Doe on a license.

You may not, but the TSA may since they are asking for that info now. But as stated above, worst case is you would have a more complete screening done.

I haven't had any problems flown 6 times since May. When I was flying in May I was nervous because of reading these boards. TSA didn't give me a second look. I'm flying again in 2 weeks if I have any problem will report it here.

The Secure Flight Program is being phased in. For more information, see http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/secureflight/

In addition to requiring an exact match between the name on your reservation and the name on your approved government-issued ID, the Secure Flight Program requires the airline to capture your sex and date of birth, and to provide these to the TSA.

If you booked your flight before the airline started asking you for your exact name, sex, and date of birth, then you're still traveling under the old rules. You won't have any problems.

The Secure Flight Program implementation dates vary by airline.

There was a lot of misinformation on the Internet. Passengers were needlessly scared that they would be stopped by the TSA because their driver's license had a middle initial, but but their airline booking didn't.

In the case of Southwest, you may want to call the airline to see if they need any additional information for the rest of your party. If they say no, don't worry about it.

Horace - thanks for all the info. I've been looking but could not find consistent answers and you summed things up nicely. I think I will call SW just to be safe.

You may not, but the TSA may since they are asking for that info now. But as stated above, worst case is you would have a more complete screening done.

"Q. If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

A. Boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide when booking your travel is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences should not impact your travel. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch list.

You should ensure that the name provided when booking your travel matches the government ID that you will use when traveling. However, TSA has built some flexibility into the processes regarding passenger name accuracy. For the near future, small differences between the passenger�s ID and the passenger�s reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, should not cause a problem for the passenger. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their ID and their travel information."

A ticket with Jane Doe and the license says Janylnne Thomas-Doeowski may have a problem. Jane T. Doe is going to be seated and waiting on the tarmac for the flight to actually leave, just like everyone else.

Just to note that while we used our full names ( middle names as well) when booking our Airtran tickets (with names EXACTLY matching our Drivers License), the boarding passes that were printed (coming and going) simply had our first and last names and even left off my "Jr" at the end!!

Dh and my names are very long and our NYS driver's lisencenses only have our initials for 1st and middle name. I flew in June and was very concerned about this but no one looked twice at my info. DH flew in Sept and no one bothered him either.

I don't think they would like it very much if I took my full name off my BP and only added initials. That seems totally incorrect to me. So I"ll just be ready for additional screening.

BTW, our IDs don't expire for 2 more years. NYS has since changed their ID policy and will print our full names but I don't feel like paying to update something I had no control over. It's not like I asked to just have my inititals on my ID.

Dh and my names are very long and our NYS driver's lisencenses only have our initials for 1st and middle name. I flew in June and was very concerned about this but no one looked twice at my info. DH flew in Sept and no one bothered him either.

I don't think they would like it very much if I took my full name off my BP and only added initials. That seems totally incorrect to me. So I"ll just be ready for additional screening.

BTW, our IDs don't expire for 2 more years. NYS has since changed their ID policy and will print our full names but I don't feel like paying to update something I had no control over. It's not like I asked to just have my inititals on my ID.

I flew for years using just my first and middle initials. I go by my middle name and using my middle name was an option when I signed up for my FF program. So you can do it if that is what would make you more comfortable.
I have recently changed the name on my tickets to match
my ID. I feel like I am back in elementary school with a substitute teacher calling me by the wrong name. -- Suzanne

Correct, pretty much exactly what I said.. you shouldnt have any issues, and even if you did, it still would only be a minor issue.. Highlighting the parts that state that...

"Q. If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

A. Boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide when booking your travel is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences should not impact your travel. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch list.

You should ensure that the name provided when booking your travel matches the government ID that you will use when traveling. However, TSA has built some flexibility into the processes regarding passenger name accuracy. For the near future, small differences between the passenger�s ID and the passenger�s reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, should not cause a problem for the passenger. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their ID and their travel information."

A ticket with Jane Doe and the license says Janylnne Thomas-Doeowski may have a problem. Jane T. Doe is going to be seated and waiting on the tarmac for the flight to actually leave, just like everyone else.

If you booked your flight before the airline started asking you for your exact name, sex, and date of birth, then you're still traveling under the old rules. You won't have any problems.

Even beyond that there won't be an issue in the near future. So far SecureFlight only requires collecting the information and using it for list-matching.

Although the TSA site mentions the need for precise matching at the airport at some future time, no date has been set, and you can be sure that if and when such a date is set, it will be announced far and wide and well in advance.

I, too, booked with SW before they started collecting the information.
So far, I have not received an email asking for the rest of the information, but I guess I'm in a better boat than some, since I do not have a middle name (this might be the one time not having one isn't a pain) and am flying with my fifteen year old niece.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter