• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever worked as a hotel housekeeper?

grinningghost

<font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family
After reading some Mousekeeping threads, I wondered if anyone here has ever worked as a hotel housekeeper, and what you think about tips, sloppy guests, etc.?

I have!

Growing up my parents owned a motel in the Smokies.

We loved getting a tip. They were few and far between. However, my oldest sister worked as a housekeeper in NJ on LBI back in the 70's and they always tipped pretty good up North.

Some people were sloppy. I remember asking if people REALLY live like "this".

Some people were so neat. If they were staying over a lot of people would even make their beds, collect their garbage and toss all the towels into the tub for us to collect.

It always amazed me how many people stole things from us. Towels, blankets, glasses, bedspreads, TVs...

Who the heck wanted a motel bedspread (YUCK!) and would have the nerve to steal a TV? Well, there were plenty. Then we had to bolt a lot of stuff down.

We welcomed people to take ashtrays, matches, writing paper and toiletries though.

It was a beautiful motel but when it came time for my parents to sell it, we all wanted them to. It was a 24/7 job. It was a job that my parents couldn't find anyone to do like they wanted their family business run.

Yes, Embassy Suites Hotel here in Columbus. My dad had a friend who was an accountant for the hotel. It was between my Freshman and Sophmore year of college.

I had been pretty lazy during the school year, gave up my scholarship, had only so so grades so my parents decided I needed a dose of reality!:eek:

They had a revolving door of housekeepers. Lots of single mom types from "the hood". Some ladies were very nice and did a great job the others were...well I will just say "hard". I was also the only causacion woman working in that department at the time. I am completly middle America but I managed to fit in.

Since the turnover was quick I was able to pick up extra rooms at $5.00 extra for each room. Also, when the bus tours came in our manager always gave me that floor. I got wonderful tips from the "little old ladies"!:D I would give them extra soaps, shampoos and towels.

I made good money that summer. But there was a price. The hours were long. I would work from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., clean up after some pretty gross people and deal with some co-workers who were not fond of me.

Was it worth it. YES!:D I learned a few lessons and realized that college was important. I also learned a lot about the ladies I worked with. I was/am grateful to some for their kindness and letting me be a part of their life for a brief time.:)

I worked at a Comfort Inn through college. I was grateful for any tips I got, but I didn't expect them. I will say that I was paid minimum wage, and the work can be back breaking. I know for the first few weeks, I was very sore, from making the beds, and making hospital corners on the sheets, cleaning the bathtub...etc...

I really resented people who seemed to enjoy making messes on purpose. Like food on the rug, or beer bottles and junk food all over the place. I did not mind a sick kid, or an accident, but some people were disgusting, and then expected that it would be spotless by a certain time.

It is not an easy job, and I have always tipped housekeeping since my experience with it.

I worked for several summers with my cousin who owned rental cabins in NH. We never rec'd tips and some people were absolute slobs. The stuff people would leave behind was disgusting.:rolleyes:

Whenever my dh and I stay somewhere, I always pick up after ourselves and make the room neat before housekeeping comes in to tidy up and I always leave a nice tip for them daily, just in case it is a different housekeeper.

Nancy

Interesting stories guys. I have always thought that being a hotel housekeeper was a pretty thankless job. I can only imagine what kind of disgusting things people leave for the maid to clean up. I also tidy up our room before we leave - I feel those women (or men) have enough to do without picking up my food wrappers and such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter