Anyone ever use two different airlines for same trip?

imamicki2

Mouseketeer
Having trouble finding good fares and good times for airfare from Philly to Mco. I found I like going down times for southwest and coming home fare for usa300.
My trip is 10-22 to 10-30. How far out should I hold out for a possible DING special?

I guess my question is, are there any problems I am not thinking about if I use two different airlines? I don't see why there should be, but I am not an expert at any of this and all this information is going to make my head explode!
:crazy:

My experience with one way tickets is that I get pulled for extra security screening each time.

My Mom did just this last May. She flew Boston to Orlando on JetBlue. Then returned Orlando into Manchester on Southwest.

Her main reason was that the one way cost on each trip was cheaper. JetBlue and Southwest was each more expensive on the other leg. (if that makes sense)

I really don't see a problems with your scenario. Maybe someone else has more insight...

I've done it a number of time to take advantage of good prices each way. Never had a problem.

imamicki2 said:
I guess my question is, are there any problems I am not thinking about if I use two different airlines?
Traditionally, advance purchase roundtrips on a single airline have been much cheaper that one-way tickets.

However, that's not always the case these days, especially to Florida. Using two promotional one-way fares on two different airlines can be competitive with roundtrip fares on a single airline, and may give you a better choice of flight times.

Wow what a great idea! I never thought of doing this... Maybe I'll try it on my next trip.

I fly out of Bos to Mco I look for the best prices. I have found it less expensive to fly out on Jetblue or Song and fly back on the other. Ie this trip I am flying down Jetblue @ 79 for each of us and back Song @69. When I flew down last Oct it was cheaper to fly down Song and back Jetblue. I dont lock my suitcases (no need i have nothing to hide) maybe TSA picks them out more I dont know or care. I fly safe and comfortable at the times I want for the price I want to pay. Hopefully TSA goes through everyones things on the plane I take I would rather be safe.

Pick your best flights and have a great trip.

I booked our flights to Orlando for Thanksgiving day on Airtran. The prices were competitive and I was able to get the flight times we wanted. I did it though for budgeting reasons. I didn't have the cash for a round trip ticket, so I bought the one way. I am now waiting for SW to open their flights to compare them with Airtran to buy our tickets home. Buying one way at a time was easier to handle on my budget.

ok, so do you think we will be able to checkin online with southwest at 12am or do you think there will be some kind of security issue due to having one way tickets? I kind of recall someone having a problem checking in online and getting an a boarding pass due to security reasons. Has anyone had a problem getting an online "A" boarding pass using southwest on only one leg of your trip? i know I am nervous nelly, but I have two kids and I want them sitting with us on the plane.........
thanks guys.

i've done it many times....never had any extra screening either.

last year i flew to Baltimore on Northwest...spent 2 days there
From Baltimore i flew to Jacksonville on Airtran...spent 5 days in Florida
and flew back home on Northwest :p

This year i flew to Ft. Lauderdale on Northwest
From Ft. Lauderdale i flew to NYC (LaGuardia) on Song
and from LaGuardia i flew back home on Northwest

imamicki2 said:
ok, so do you think we will be able to checkin online with southwest at 12am or do you think there will be some kind of security issue due to having one way tickets? ..............

I remember reading that thread and it has happened to me also. Sometimes you are flagged for the extra security and you can not get a boarding pass till you get to the airport.

We just did this in February for our trip to WDW. We flew Southwest for our outbound and returned on Spirit. We had no problems whatsoever. I was expecting special screening because of the one-way tickets, but it didn't happen. It was uneventful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter