• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever use lyft or uber from orange county airport

chrisaman

Mouseketeer
IF so how much did it cost? Was it cheaper than a regular taxi? I have never used these services before and am thinking about giving it a try.

I never used them from the airport there, but use lyft and sidecar regularly in San Diego. They are usually about half the price of a Taxi. Pricing can depend on how busy things are. I am also not sure lyft is available in that area yet.

I've never used Uber or Lyft either, but I remember reading about how some of these non-taxi services are being banned from airports. A quick search indicates that Uber cannot pick-up or drop-off passengers at John Wayne Airport. I didn't look up Lyft.
http://blog.uber.com/johnwayneuberx

IF so how much did it cost? Was it cheaper than a regular taxi? I have never used these services before and am thinking about giving it a try.

I love Uber, and they are doing a 25% summer discount in some cites (not sure about Orange County) which, at least in Seattle, makes Uber-X cheaper than taxis. Beware, though, I saw the following post on Uber's website, it sounds like Uber-X may not be able to pick up at OC Airport currently. Apparently Uber Black and Uber SUV can, but they are more expensive.

http://blog.uber.com/johnwayneuberx

I'm not a fan of Lyft. I've used them twice and both times the driver was pretty sketchy. That was in Seattle tho.

EDIT: beaten to the punch! :)

I use Uber Black everywhere across the country I can...just used them yesterday in Washington DC. It typically runs about 10-20% more than a taxi. My last Uber to DL was only like $10 more from SNA but well worth a few extra bucks in my opinion.

The above ban only applies to Uber X at SNA. For Uber Black, they can not camp out at SNA and solicit fares, but once you request a car they can enter the airport to pick you up.

For those not familiar, Uber X is just like you or me offering a ride in our personal cars...they are screened, but it could be anybody in any car... Uber Black is more like a limo service. It is a black town car or better (not always literally a black car though). More professionally dressed drivers and service oriented. You can get 4 in a town car. Uber SUV is a suburban or similar when you have a larger group. You can typically get up to 6 in the SUV's

The best part of Uber Black in my opinion is that you have a MUCH nicer car, no tipping, no cash changing hands and only Uber corporate office has access to your credit card on file, driver never sees the card or number so you chances of identity theft are greatly reduced.

Most of the OC drivers offer water and have been great so far.

Uber X and Lyft are just average joe people that use their personal car and working for some extra cash...so can be a bit more hit or miss, but it is cheaper.

For those not familiar, Uber X is just like you or me offering a ride in our personal cars...they are screened, but it could be anybody in any car... Uber Black is more like a limo service. It is a black town car or better (not always literally a black car though). More professionally dressed drivers and service oriented. You can get 4 in a town car. Uber SUV is a suburban or similar when you have a larger group. You can typically get up to 6 in the SUV's

The best part of Uber Black in my opinion is that you have a MUCH nicer car, no tipping, no cash changing hands and only Uber corporate office has access to your credit card on file, driver never sees the card or number so you chances of identity theft are greatly reduced.

Uber X and Lyft are just average joe people that use their personal car and working for some extra cash...so can be a bit more hit or miss, but it is cheaper.

Thank you so much for explaining this! I'd seen it mentioned a few times here, and had kind of gotten the idea it was "some kind" of a transportation service, but it just wasn't making sense. Now it does!

We've taken Lyft three times now.

The first time was in February. We took Lyft from SNA to the Grand. The car showed up about 15 minutes from when we requested a ride on their app. The car had a giant pink mustache on the front of the car. The driver turned out to be a CM so we had a nice time chatting with her. She gave us gum and small water bottles. The cost at the time was around $32 which was $14 less than our cab fare (same route on a previous trip). We used a coupon for $25 off so we paid $7 + 15% tip. On the way back to SNA, we took a cab because we were able to get a taxi voucher from the Grand Californian.

In between trips, I received an email from Lyft stating that their fares have been reduced to 30% less so we planned on taking advantage of that in future trips.

Our second time was this past June, also from SNA to the Springhill Suites on Ball Road (behind the Mickey and Friends parking lot). The driver texted us that he was driving a different car than the one pictured on the app. The car was missing the signature giant pink mustache. The driver was not chatty at all so it was a quiet ride. The lower total this time round was only $26 and we used a $25 off coupon so we paid $1, yes, $1 whole dollar for the fare itself. We paid 15% tip.

On the way back from Springhill Suites to SNA, we got another cool driver. He had the giant pink mustache on the front of the car. He offered us waters and he had a Nintendo game system so you could play Mario Bros. if you were so inclined. He and DH had a nice conversation. I was busy comforting my DH who was :sad: because we had left his beloved Disneyland. Our total fare was $22 plus tip.

We wouldn't hesitate to take Lyft again in the future. Hope this helps.

Are these services less expensive than say like; Super Shuttle or Karmel shuttle? I'm trying to decide what to suggest for my adult daughter, her boyfriend and our son. My husband and I will already be down there - we are doing a mini trip in the area for a few days before and will be meeting them in Disney the day they get in.

I had never heard of Uber or Lyft at all? :confused3

Are these services less expensive than say like; Super Shuttle or Karmel shuttle? I'm trying to decide what to suggest for my adult daughter, her boyfriend and our son. My husband and I will already be down there - we are doing a mini trip in the area for a few days before and will be meeting them in Disney the day they get in.

I had never heard of Uber or Lyft at all? :confused3

Lyft & Uber are ride sharing services.. basically locals with cars are matched up to visitors or other locals without! :D

I'm a driver for both Lyft and Uber and I can tell you, riding in my car is extremely fun and super easy. I have small water bottles for my guests, candy (candy from strangers anyone? :D LOL) and let's face it, an awesome Disney fanatic driver. :) Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or want a $25 code off your first Lyft.

I use Uber Black everywhere across the country I can...just used them yesterday in Washington DC. It typically runs about 10-20% more than a taxi. My last Uber to DL was only like $10 more from SNA but well worth a few extra bucks in my opinion.

The above ban only applies to Uber X at SNA. For Uber Black, they can not camp out at SNA and solicit fares, but once you request a car they can enter the airport to pick you up.

The bolded section applies to everyone. I don't see my passengers' info, phone, card numbers, etc.

Additional note: drivers and passengers can contact each other once the request has been made and accepted, but once the trip is done, you can no longer contact each other again. The app uses a phone number to shield/forward your contact to each other (it's the same number that is used to mask) so this is makes for a very comfortable/confident feature to have. :)

I'm glad I found this thread! My kids (DD 14 and DS 12) and I leave tomorrow for Disneyland / LA area for a week. :cool1: I've looked into the tours but just couldn't find anything that suited exactly what we wanted to do. I had resigned myself to just taking taxis to Universal Studios, Warner Bros, Hollywood, etc. (We are staying at Paradise Pier the entire week, even though we only have 3 day park hoppers)

How far in advance should I request a ride, especially the ones that are a little longer? Will have any problems getting to those places (and back!) from Disney?

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure if you looked at this company, but we did the Warner Brothers VIP tour that was so much fun, we had lunch, got to tour hotels, Rodeo drive, etc. and we were able to get out and walk around which was fantastic! This is their Universal Studios version, here's some info: http://www.anaheim411.com/shop/catalog/

Just wanted to give you another option! It sounds like a fun trip either way, enjoy!! :beach:

I'm glad I found this thread! My kids (DD 14 and DS 12) and I leave tomorrow for Disneyland / LA area for a week. :cool1: I've looked into the tours but just couldn't find anything that suited exactly what we wanted to do. I had resigned myself to just taking taxis to Universal Studios, Warner Bros, Hollywood, etc. (We are staying at Paradise Pier the entire week, even though we only have 3 day park hoppers)

How far in advance should I request a ride, especially the ones that are a little longer? Will have any problems getting to those places (and back!) from Disney?

Thanks!!!

If requesting a ride with Uber or Lyft, you should request about 5-10 minutes before you're ready.. A driver is usually about 5-10 minutes away from you, especially if you're in DL already (sometimes I just park in DTD or the Garden Walk and wait for a request to come through LOL)

Thanks! I looked into the Anaheim 411 tours and, unfortunately, my kids weren't impressed. LOL They want to stay longer at some of the places (Walk of Fame and Rodeo Drive) and didn't really care about the hotels. So, I think we will just make it all up as we go. Especially now that I have alternate ways of getting around! I'm not renting a car until the end of the week when we are driving to San Diego for a few days. I can handle Houston traffic, but just didn't want to mess with LA traffic or trying to find places to park.

And, Sultan... if we come across you, we'll be the touristy Texans that are trying hard not to be touristy! LOL

Just used uber black from the embassy to the airport. Worked great, waited 5 min for the ride. The drive was in a big new black suburban, and he even gave us bottles of water. It was 55 dollars and really quick. I highly recommend it.

I had Uber Black pick me up at John Wayne for the Avengers Half Marathon weekend. They confirmed their regular cars aren't allowed in but Black and SUV can. Also the Uber driver said he couldn't pick up at Arrival (which makes sense). I guess some idiot was on the Arrival area and wanted the car to pick him up there., The driver told him he wasn't allowed to pick up upstairs and the fare had to come downstairs to the baggage claim area. The fare wouldn't do it so the driver had to leave.

I also took Lyft from my hotel to the airport. My driver says he can drop off at John Wayne with no problem but you would have to walk outside the airport (like at El Torrito) to be picked up. This is really handy for the cost savings of using Lyft or UberX rather than the more expensive towncar versions.

My Uber Black faire from John Wayne to Disneyland was $44 (including tip) vs. $21 (including tip) for regular Lyft on the return. Still cheaper than a typical car service or cab and TONS quicker than a shuttle. Both cars were clean and the drivers courteous. The Lyft driver gave me gum and a granola bar.

I also know if you are flying into Burbank, car services of all kinds are allowed in BUT they can not wait curbside for you (the airport is too tiny). They have to park in the garage and then take you back to the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter