Anyone ever take a folding stool with you to the parks?

disneygrandma

Mickey Fan
On our last few trips to the parks, it has been very difficult and painful for me to try and stand for parades, fireworks, etc. As my name says, I'm Grandma, and no longer a young grandma anymore. There's no way I could sit on the pavement. I could neither lower myself down to the ground, or be able to get back up.

My daughter-in-law suggested that I bring some kind of a folding stool that I could put on the stroller, and then have it for those times that I needed to sit down. I don't know if that's allowed or not......is it? If so, I would need a stool where the seat is high enough that I would be able to lower myself down to it, and then be able to stand back up again. Does anyone have suggestions where to find such a stool? Has anyone used a stool like this before?

There are times when I've been able to find a stone wall, or a bench, where I could sit. But usually these spots are already taken, or these sitting spaces are not in an area that's ideal for whatever event we are trying to watch. I want to experience these attractions with my family, and not be far away in order to be able to sit down. I also don't want to sit for hours before hand. This would take away from valuable attraction time with the family. And besides, after sitting for extended periods, I become very stiff and sore, and it's then difficult to walk.

I'm nowhere near the point where I need a wheelchair. I'm still able to walk around. I just need some relief for those times when I would need to stand for a long time.

I would greatly appreciate any help, suggestions, tips, etc that have worked for you or someone you know. Thanks so much.

The basic answer is generally no. I think disney's concern is that people will pack chairs into the bottom of their strollers.

My friend has used a cane that has a pkAce to sit attached to it. It's not a large sitting area but adequate for her. It's on the side of the cane and folds down. Seemed to work great

I don't think Disney allows stand-alone folding stools/chairs in the parks.

You could use a seat cane - it's a cane with a little fold-up seat on it, as the name implies - but depending on your size/weight you might not find them comfortable. The seats are quite small and not intended to sit on for a long time.

Another option is a rollator - a rolling walker with a seat, usually a padded one, and some compartments to store and carry stuff. Lots more people are using them in the parks these days than I used to see, and they seem like an excellent option for people who can walk fine but experience pain on standing. They fold easily to carry onto a bus or put into the back of a car, as well.

I use a rollator in the parks...the kind with a padded seat and a canvas bag under the seat. It folds up easily for easy storage in the hotel room and easy transportation on the buses...though it would be too big to attach to the stroller. You would have to push it around all day unless you wanted to park it outside shops or ride queues...but I recommend taking it with you everywhere so you always have a place to sit. In lines I sometimes sit and scoot along a little ways if I'm particularly tired. Another nice point is that there are handles on either side so you have stability when you need to stand up as well.

I bought mine on amazon...but you can also usually get one at most pharmacies. The reason I purchased mine on amazon was that I wanted particular features: bigger wheels (smoother ride), sized for my height (the cheap ones at pharmacies are too tall for me), canvas bag instead of wire basket (easier to fold/transport), and light weight enough for me to lift in and out of the car by myself. I paid around $100 for mine...though the price fluctuates between $100-$150. There are lots of options and varying price points.

If you don't want to purchase one...I think you may be able to find one to rent for the week...not sure what the cost of that would be. I think you can find a rollator at a pharmacy for between $50-$60 depending on sales.

Not the same thing but we used to bring stadium seats to Fantasmic. Our backs hurt at the end of the day and support is a must.

I can't address your exact issue because mine was different, but I will tell you what I did and how it worked. We were in WDW for part of two Star Wars Weekends. I took and used a stool, but my stool was tiny and would not work for you. It was 9" by 9" by 9" and did not allow me to be in the way plus I was able to quickly move my stool and I so as not to delay guest traffic after the parades or when lines started moving. I am so short (and the stool really was tiny) that children easily saw over me and most adults without a stool were still head to head with me when they were sitting on the ground.
If my stool had been bigger, I know I would have annoyed guests and I think a CM would have questioned a manager to discover if it were allowed. I think eventually the answer would be "not allowed." I think it would come down to fire hazard with regard to possible emergency evacuation if that were ever needed and, secondly, to tripping hazard when others rush to their next thing after a parade.
The previous advice is good - do you need to sit enough to bring a medical device such as the cane with seat or walker with seat? If not, then it's a choice between missing a few things while you hold a seat for a parade or standing for a parade. We usually choose to give up a few things for parade comfort if it's a parade we want to see. Sometimes we skip the parade or get FP+s for the parade. (We only brought that tiny stool that one trip due to my still healing torn ankle tendon - we don't plan to do so again...)
Good luck with your decision and enjoy your family trip.

On a trip to DL about 5 years ago my wife was about 7 month pregnant and brought along a very small folding stool thinking she could use it to sit while waiting for a parade or something. We were turned away at security and I had to either throw it out or walk it back to our hotel. Fortunately, with it being DL, our hotel was about a 5-10 minute walk from security so I just took it back to the hotel. At WDW I'd image it would get thrown out.

I'm sorry, but as others have pointed out, folding stools or chairs are not allowed. If you have the kind that is attached to a cane those are allowed. Otherwise you will need to find a comfortable spot to sit and watch the parades extra early. That, or renting a wheelchair, is really the best you can do.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I got a chuckle about the stools not being allowed due to being a hazard in case of an emergency, and people possibly tripping over it to get out of the way. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't laughing at the reason, but rather of the image of me rolling around on the ground trying to get up AND how many people would have actually tripped over me then! It would not have been a pretty sight.

Is it possible to get a card from guest services outside of the parks that would allow me to bring the stool in, due to mobility and health issues?

I don't want to have to deal with an ECV, or a wheel chair. The rollators (sp?) would work for me when needed, but would be cumbersome to deal with the rest of the time. I guess we'll go to some sporting goods stores, as well as some pharmaceutical stores, and see if anything seems like it would work, and then hope we would be allowed to take it in to the parks.

Thanks again for all you suggestions.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I got a chuckle about the stools not being allowed due to being a hazard in case of an emergency, and people possibly tripping over it to get out of the way. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't laughing at the reason, but rather of the image of me rolling around on the ground trying to get up AND how many people would have actually tripped over me then! It would not have been a pretty sight.

Is it possible to get a card from guest services outside of the parks that would allow me to bring the stool in, due to mobility and health issues?

I don't want to have to deal with an ECV, or a wheel chair. The rollators (sp?) would work for me when needed, but would be cumbersome to deal with the rest of the time. I guess we'll go to some sporting goods stores, as well as some pharmaceutical stores, and see if anything seems like it would work, and then hope we would be allowed to take it in to the parks.

Thanks again for all you suggestions.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

A DAS card would not allow you to bring in a stool. The solution to a mobility issue (and that is what this would be considered) is a rent a wheelchair or ECV. As others have said you could also bring a rollanator.

Like a previous poster mentioned, there are canes with tops that open to form a little seat. My dad, who has arthritis, uses one in the parks and LOVES it!

My dad's is like this:
http://www.elderluxe.com/mobility/w...hotover-ascot-shooting-stick-cane-by-tirion-/

It's an expensive one. But if you look around that site, there are several for less than $50.

I saw an older man with one of these last week. Can't remember where it was but it was in one of the parks. It's a shame they have taken away benches.

You can't have a folding seat but you can push a Rollolater? (What we call a wheelie walker) It's a folding chair with wheels?
There are people zooming around the park in motorized vehicles but someone can't have a seat to rest on?
Crazy.
I use what is called a sport seat. It is quite comfortable for short periods of time and handy for long lines.
http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Seat-Walking-Stick-Combination/dp/B000B8N6K2

There's also this cutie from Canada but no handle for balance.
http://www.flipstick.ca/?gclid=COWzzb36z8ECFQFgMgod83oA-A

You can't have a folding seat but you can push a Rollolater? (What we call a wheelie walker) It's a folding chair with wheels?
There are people zooming around the park in motorized vehicles but someone can't have a seat to rest on?
Crazy.
I use what is called a sport seat. It is quite comfortable for short periods of time and handy for long lines.
http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Seat-Walking-Stick-Combination/dp/B000B8N6K2

There's also this cutie from Canada but no handle for balance.
http://www.flipstick.ca/?gclid=COWzzb36z8ECFQFgMgod83oA-A

because when people are walking they are not looking down to see if people are sitting in front of them. Especially in places like lines for rides. It would be easy for people to trip over someone sitting on a stool in a line injuring themselves and possibly causing others to trip and fall. and when it very crowded if there is an emergency and they have to evacuate the area, the stools are a tripping hazard and could cause people to fall and potentially be trampled.
Its hard to miss an ecv

Stadium seats are ok though? I have a family member with a bad back and I'm debating brining one for some of the shows that don't have backs on the benches.

Thanks!

Stadium seats are ok though? I have a family member with a bad back and I'm debating brining one for some of the shows that don't have backs on the benches.

Thanks!

They let us in with one a few years back. Ours was non-metal if that helps.

I have a very good stool called a walk stool. It folds up and comes with a carrying bag. It is 22 inches high. It is available online. It cost about $80.00 but well worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter