• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever seen any incidents at bag check?

Forget what year it was, probably August 2012, we were going thru security at MK and the woman ahead had her bags being checked and they found bear spray. She said it was her son's and he came over to the table. The security said he couldn't take it into the park and asked if he wanted to take back to their vehicle or room. They declined the offer and security had someone come over and collect it.
I've heard that Big Al can be a problem :rotfl2:

My son works for a local supermarket. He does a lot of stocking, so he uses a boxcutter on a daily basis.

My husband was joking last night that he'll have to check all his shorts pockets-- particularly the ones he's wearing to the airport-- before this trip!!
Many years ago when I worked at the local grocery store I went from work to the airport to see my husband off and forgot about the boxcutter in my pocket. This was before 9-11. They still wouldn't let me past security without giving them the cutter. I told them they could keep it cause I could get a case of them. Still have a lot of them.

Does anyone else feel that bag check is too close to the turnstiles? On our trip in June I started questioning why it's so close to the entrances. Also, why can't there be a bag check at TTC?

TTC is only a tiny fraction of the people headed to MK. You still have walking, resort monorail, boats and buses that don't go to TTC. I don't have an issue with it that close security wise but it is annoying to get around to it depending on which way you come into the gate.

I've never seen anything odd. All I know is that I have been chosen "at random" to go through the metal detectors every time...

Last edited:

I've never see anything odd. All I know is that I have been chosen "at random" to go through the metal detectors every time...
My SIL got chosen at "random" all 6 times she entered a park during our trip. I think my mom and I were chosen once each and the rest of our group of 10 was never chosen. We started to joke with her about whether we should be suspicious of her and if she was a secret terrorist.

Years ago, my husband was stopped while walking toward the gate because he had a 4 inch pocket knife. He carries it everywhere and had just forgotten NOT to take it to MK. Security saw it clipped to his side pocket and stopped him. It was not a big deal, they were very nice about it. My husband is military and the security guard was former military so they talked about that while the guard took him over to a set of lockers where he could keep his knife for us to get later. I was already though bag check and watched this all happen from afar wondering what the heck was going on. We laughed about it later and was really impressed the guard noticed he had that knife.

Well, I created an incident at bag check. It was at the back entrance to Epcot by World Showcase right after they installed the metal detector. A group of us came over at the same time from the ferry from Hollywood Studios and were directed over to the metal detector line. As we were waiting, a bunch of people walked up and cut right over to the Mickey head, finger scan side. All the security personnel were working with someone who kept making the metal detector go off. A CM jumped over to the Mickey Head line and started moving the other line through, the group of people that came up after us. I remarked to the woman in line in front of me waiting for the metal detector as we had been directed that it must be nice to be able to just skip the metal detector line. At that point a big security guy turned around and shouted "WHO, WHO DID NOT GO THROUGH THE METAL DETECTOR?". It reminded me of that Seinfeld episode, Who doesn't want to wear the ribbon?.

No one in the other group would admit to skipping the metal detector, so security brought back the ones that had already entered the park and sent the rest of the Mickey Head line to the back of the metal detector line. In the interim, more people had joined the metal detector line so the line cutters were now way back in the new line. A couple of the line cutters began complaining that they had arrived before all the other people in line in front of them and that they shouldn't have been sent to the back of the metal detector line. The big security guy told them to simmer down or they would be denied entry to the park. He also told them if they had been honest and volunteered that they had skipped the metal detector line in the first place, they wouldn't be standing there now.

Needless to say, as soon as I got through the metal detector and Mickey Head line I got the heck out of Dodge. I went far, far into World Showcase as quickly as possible. I really didn't mean to create a big thing by my remark to the woman in line in front of me. If looks and whispers could hurt you, I would have been a dead woman. Those people were MAD!
Interesting - and reassuring that security @ least doesn't operate like most CMs seem to these days who just ignore the line jumpers & pushy 'the rules don't apply to me' cheaters, thus rewarding their behavior.

My daughter had her pepper spray confiscated. Security told her she could put it in a locker then get it later, but she said that they could throw it out, so another Security came and collected it.

He was a temp for a restuarant, not sure i believe this at all. First i am sure, if he was a temp, that we he was told how he had to enter the park. I am sure that at the CM entrance they would have his name and information, actually i would be surprised that he was not required to secure a CM Temp ID before even going to the park. And why does someone need to bring their own knives to their job I am sure Disney has all knives they need in each restaurant. Something seems very suspect about this one.

Exactly. He was not a temp, lol.

If anyone is being checked over and over, they/you must be doing something to trigger securities attention. Just because they are randomly checking people, does not mean they will by pass someone that has raised concerns.

AKK

Well, I created an incident at bag check. It was at the back entrance to Epcot by World Showcase right after they installed the metal detector. A group of us came over at the same time from the ferry from Hollywood Studios and were directed over to the metal detector line. As we were waiting, a bunch of people walked up and cut right over to the Mickey head, finger scan side. All the security personnel were working with someone who kept making the metal detector go off. A CM jumped over to the Mickey Head line and started moving the other line through, the group of people that came up after us. I remarked to the woman in line in front of me waiting for the metal detector as we had been directed that it must be nice to be able to just skip the metal detector line. At that point a big security guy turned around and shouted "WHO, WHO DID NOT GO THROUGH THE METAL DETECTOR?". It reminded me of that Seinfeld episode, Who doesn't want to wear the ribbon?.

No one in the other group would admit to skipping the metal detector, so security brought back the ones that had already entered the park and sent the rest of the Mickey Head line to the back of the metal detector line. In the interim, more people had joined the metal detector line so the line cutters were now way back in the new line. A couple of the line cutters began complaining that they had arrived before all the other people in line in front of them and that they shouldn't have been sent to the back of the metal detector line. The big security guy told them to simmer down or they would be denied entry to the park. He also told them if they had been honest and volunteered that they had skipped the metal detector line in the first place, they wouldn't be standing there now.

Needless to say, as soon as I got through the metal detector and Mickey Head line I got the heck out of Dodge. I went far, far into World Showcase as quickly as possible. I really didn't mean to create a big thing by my remark to the woman in line in front of me. If looks and whispers could hurt you, I would have been a dead woman. Those people were MAD!
This just confuses me a bit because I only get told to go through the metal detector maybe half the time at most? (Except at rope drop, but as a local I rarely go for those). So especially if security was busy with someone at the metal detector, I would probably assume that I wasn't supposed to go through it unless security indicated to me that I was - my experience is if I go with my husband or (adult) son, they go through the no-bag line and almost always get sent to the detector. I go through the bag line and usually just walk right to the Mickey head. I didn't think this was "cutting" the line. I know with some of the recent attacks things may have changed, but even Wednesday at Epcot I didn't go through a metal detector, just bag check.

If anyone is being checked over and over, they/you must be doing something to trigger securities attention. Just because they are randomly checking people, does not mean they will by pass someone that has raised concerns.

AKK
Do you really believe that? I was checked numerous times last week and doubt that I had raised concerns during my visit to the parks.

I don't see any benefit from the random checks. I understand that security is a major concern at the parks and Disney wants to maintain a safe environment. Bag check is the right thing to do as a first line of defense. Perhaps everyone should go through the metal detectors and stop the random selection if there is that level of concern over park safety. I have the same issue with random checks in the airport. It's window dressing to make the public feel safer, but there are numerous examples of things getting through that shouldn't. What about Disney Springs? No security checks there. I think Disney does a great job keeping their properties safe and they do an amazing job behind the scenes.

Do you really believe that? I was checked numerous times last week and doubt that I had raised concerns during my visit to the parks.

I don't see any benefit from the random checks. I understand that security is a major concern at the parks and Disney wants to maintain a safe environment. Bag check is the right thing to do as a first line of defense. Perhaps everyone should go through the metal detectors and stop the random selection if there is that level of concern over park safety. I have the same issue with random checks in the airport. It's window dressing to make the public feel safer, but there are numerous examples of things getting through that shouldn't. What about Disney Springs? No security checks there. I think Disney does a great job keeping their properties safe and they do an amazing job behind the scenes.

I really do not see your point... actually agree with almost all you pointed out. The comment I made was regarding another poster implying that since he is always picked to be checked, there is no random checking.

I do believe anyone can do something to trigger the security attention, a bag, clothing, bump in a pocket area.....etc.etc. As you pointed out they do a amazing job behind the scenes and look for things we would not be aware of.

AKK

My uncle carries a pocket knife everywhere, and he tends to forget he has it with him. At Christmas, he accidentally had it with him. He beeped going through the detectors, but they finally determined it must just be his belt buckle. Later, he was fishing through his pocket to discover he had it with him. The same thing happened last week. He's there a lot, and normally remembers, but it's odd that he was able to get in not once, but twice, with a pocketknife.

I don't know the details on how magnetometers work, but knives are problematic for x-rays because if they happened to be turned the right way, they're hard to see. A friend of mine accidentally got box cutters thru security at O'Hare in the year after 9/11. He forgot them in his bag. In those days they were doing additional random screening at the gate. He was very lucky he was not picked for that or he would have spent hours with security.

What about Disney Springs? No security checks there. I think Disney does a great job keeping their properties safe and they do an amazing job behind the scenes.

The Orlando shooter cased both MK and DS and decided to go elsewhere. He apparently saw something he didn't like at DS even without bag checks. Disney does do a good job, I think. If the bag checks are part of what they think works, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Even if it is "security theater."

When we were at HS, the gentleman in front of us had an entire chefs knife kit. We are talking some serious knives. He said he was a temp for one of the rest, but he was entering through the main line not the cast member entrance. He was pulled to the side and told to wait while we were search and allowed on. Someone made a boo boo on their first day. Though i must say he has some nice knives. I might have drooled a little.

My mom did this at an airport not long ago. She is in her 70's and wasn't thinking about what she was doing. She had not one, but TWO, complete sets of chef knives in her carry on. They were new, sealed sets that she was bringing home. One for her and one was a gift. When I picture, in my head, what the TSA must have seen on that xray screen, I can't help but LMBO.

This is only my opinion, but I think people generally overestimate the capabilities and the reach of Disney Security. I periodically see posts that seem to suggest that we're being monitored on real time video feeds virtually everywhere. Logistically, that's simply not possible. Rides are monitored for safety reasons, but shops and restaurants and hotels - it's just not possible.

My own personal example that occured to me a few days ago. Since early May I suppose, I've carried a 48" golf umbrella with me on every trip and it's never even gotten a second glance. It'd be no problem for me to secure a box cutter, or straight razor or a folding knife with a six inch or longer blade inside the thing. But no CM has ever asked me to open it up for them to have a look. Seems to me to be a pretty glaring oversight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter