• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever pack a fan???

tiffany0610

Mouseketeer
I have the hardest time sleeping without the noise of our fan! We usually take it on trips but we have never flown with it. Any thoughts??? too heavy for suitcase?

I have a small one I was going to pack (small but noisy) but I found a place that rents out all kinds of baby stuff and a standing fan was on the list to rent. I've never packed a fan, actually never thought of it till this trip. The only thing I hate about vacations is sleeping in a quiet room.
Anyway, I got our small fan at walmart and the box fits in my luggage. It does take up some space though. For a good nights sleep I would def sacrifice space. Lol

Consider buying and shipping to the resort. Should be fairly cheap!

Depending on where you stay, you might have a fan already. We had a ceiling fan at YC.

All else aside, you can download white noise apps that might help, if you can't pack your fan.

yup! unfortunately we take 4! 2 for us and 2 for the kids. All of us are white noise sleepers. The ones I take aren't that big, but they do the job! Fan

tiffany0610 said:
I have the hardest time sleeping without the noise of our fan! We usually take it on trips but we have never flown with it. Any thoughts??? too heavy for suitcase?

We are also white noise people. We took a small fan we found at dollar general. It was perfect. Can't find it online but it only weighed about 4 lbs.

You can also download a free white noise app onto your smart phone if you have one :)

I've tried this and find that it's not loud enough and the sounds aren't quite right. I was really hoping I would be able to find a noise that I liked too. Packing would have been sooooo much easier!

If you have an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, try an app called Ambiance:
http://ambianceapp.com/

It is also available for Android devices.

It's better than a white noise machine because it uses actual recordings of sound. If there isn't a fan that sounds right to you, you can record your own fan to use.

We just pack a white noise machine that can run on batteries. We have several, and although more expensive than fans, much more practical (and I'm guessing that they use less electricity than fans). My favorite is "inside an airplane."

Do any of the small fans mentioned sound as loud as a full size box fan?

When we went in 2008, I ordered a box fan to be delivered with my order with Garden Grocer. On our last day I had to decide to leave it or ship it home. I decided to spend the $15 to ship it home so at least we would end up with a fan.

We are staying at Bonnet Creek this January and will have two bedrooms, so we will need two fans! I am thinking I will end up buying two at walmart when we get there since we will have a rental car.

It really is a terrible addiction...

yup! unfortunately we take 4! 2 for us and 2 for the kids. All of us are white noise sleepers. The ones I take aren't that big, but they do the job! Fan

We have several of these fans, and we buy a few each year at Walmart as the others break/wear out. They are great for travel, and DH takes one every time he travels for work.

Do any of the small fans mentioned sound as loud as a full size box fan?

It really is a terrible addiction...

It is an addiction! This one is not as loud as the larger box fans, but you can set it on the night stand between the beds so it's at ear level. It does the trick for us - it makes the room feel like home, and we all sleep well. It also drowns out the potential background noise. You are likely to be so tired that you'll sleep well even if you don't have your traditional big fan.

Have you considered buying a *noise* machine (our name for it ;))? We have a nice one bought online that we love and use only the *white* noise - no chirping crickets or ocean waves for us LOL. The reason we bought a more expensive model (they start our very cheap) is that the cheaper ones are obviously repetitious and drive me batty, as I'm so conscious of the round and round. We have had it for years and take it in our MH when traveling.

A good temporary solution is to turn the radio on to a non-working position and the white noise works pretty well. Packing a fan, to me, would be a desperate last resort. It works, but I don't like the air flow in the room in the winter.

The kind of machine we have is Hammacher-Schlemmer and was $69 but it has life time warranty. We got it online.

We always bring one! I have the fan white noise app on my iphone, but I like a realy fan better.

Are you staying on property? On our last visit I asked if they had any box fans when I checked it. It was delivered shortly after we got to the room. it was nice and noisy. :)

A good temporary solution is to turn the radio on to a non-working position and the white noise works pretty well. Packing a fan, to me, would be a desperate last resort. It works, but I don't like the air flow in the room in the winter.

:rotfl:I'm the opposite. I must have a breeze to sleep. At home I keep a ceiling fan and a circulating box fan on year around in my room. I need the noise, but also need the breeze hitting me, in order to sleep.

Are you staying on property? On our last visit I asked if they had any box fans when I checked it. It was delivered shortly after we got to the room. it was nice and noisy. :)

I think it depends on where you stay. Definitely call and ask before you go. I had called POP before we left because I thought they might, but they didn't have any box fans.

Ditto. We have gotten box fans at Pop, CBR, and CSR. They have them available. You just need to ask!

:rotfl:I'm the opposite. I must have a breeze to sleep. At home I keep a ceiling fan and a circulating box fan on year around in my room. I need the noise, but also need the breeze hitting me, in order to sleep.

I need the breeze, too. We have 2 stand fans, 1 box fan, and 1 ceiling fan going in our room all night...365 days a year. And our room isn't heated, either. So it's MIGHTY cold in there...feels great to sleep in! The sheets/pillows never get warm!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter