Anyone ever make good use out of someone elses "throw aways"?

DLKT

Mouseketeer
Strange question, I know.

Last year, just 2 days before we were leaving, I was taking my trash down the hall to throw away and I found a brand new stroller leaning next to the trash bin in the closet.

It was missing the front tray but other than that it was in mint condition.
A quick online order for the missing tray when we got home and we had a brand new stroller!
After telling this story to a family member she said that people do that alot.
That rather than packing and worrying about a stroller they just leave it behind when they leave.
(Must be nice to have money like that!)

Anyone else ever hear about this or have benefited in this way?

I've heard of people buying cheap umbrella strollers for their trip and then leaaving them behind. It's much cheaper than a rental, and if you buy it after you get to Fl, you don't have to fly with it either. It's also easier than lugging a large stroller around.

I've never done this tho, but we did leave our unopened snacks for the mousekeeper last fall.

I think a one day rental at WDW is $15, which might be around the price of a stroller at Wal-mart. CVS had them on sale for less than $10 one time.

If you don't have room in your car or don't want to deal with the hassle of taking it on the airline which won't be gentle with it, seems like a great idea.

We actually bought a cheapie umbrella stroller for our last trip.However,when we got down there,and I saw the ones for rent,I liked them better! So,our cheapie sat in the car!! :sad:

My DH would love you. He regularly scouts the neighborhood garbage. One time at chruch they were throwing away a Duplo table because one leg was broken. He brought it home, called the manufacturer, got a new leg for free, and so we've had a free Duplo table for years.

Just a suggestion for those who are purchasing a stroller or such for use at WDW only. Please consider donating lightly used equipment like that to GKTW or MAW rather than leaving it for houskeeing to dispose of. Just an idea!

TJ

People throw out all kinds of things in apartment buildings when it comes time to move out. I've gotten a lot of furniture and accessories that way. People think it's weird but I say...why not?

Ali

DLKT said:
Strange question, I know.

Last year...just 2 days before we were leaving, I was taking my trash down the hall to throw away and I found a brand new stroller leaning next to the trash bin in the closet.

It was missing the front tray but other than that it was in mint condition.
A quick online order for the missing tray when we got home and we had a brand new stroller!

Anyone else ever hear about this or have benefited in this way?

Not so strange of a question - 'cause we did! :) Only ours was a stoller that we found at the All Star Sports and had a wheel that was nearly broken. We still were able to use it a little while then we took it home with us and ordered a replacement wheel for it for just a few dollars. :)

I did that before we left for our April trip last year.

It was March, snow still on the ground. I drove DS to the bus stop a couple blocks away and noticed a stroller laid out with some other household odds and ends.
DD had a stroller already, a huge Evenflo that was a pain to lug around.

When I drove back home I slowed to look. It looked like it was in good shape, just dirty. So I stopped and threw it in my minivan.
Got it home and cleaned it up. It is a very nice Graco lightweight stroller with a canopy and huge net underneath.
DH thought I was nuts. He hates it when I pull stuff out of other's trash. But really, should something usable be going into the landfill????

DD has outgrown strollers, so it is being passed on to my SIL. Saved from the landfill once more.

We are bringing our 2-wide-slice toaster with us, and intend to pass it on to someone. We are packing poptarts for breakfasts, and bringing the toaster. Since we are upgrading (it's about time) to a 4-slice one, this one will remain in FL.

Anyone arriving 4/2 and need a toaster for your stay?

I was laughing so hard when i read your post about the toaster...
I had thought about picking up a cheapy (10$ at walmart) and using it for our poptarts, then leaving it for the next people! haha!
too funny!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Strollers are something we used more often in Disney than anywhere else, so our strollers have gotten their last uses at Disney. Instead of throwing them away, I have approached people at the gate and offered our stroller to them. Twice they were stollers I owned and once it was a stroller offered to me!

I also belong to www.freecycle.org because I try not to put unnecessary things in our landfills.

gabbygrennell said:
I was laughing so hard when i read your post about the toaster...
I had thought about picking up a cheapy (10$ at walmart) and using it for our poptarts, then leaving it for the next people! haha!
too funny!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

This whole toaster thing might be an idea, then!
I am bringing mine. Hopefully someone after me will want it so it keeps getting used!!

RobinMarie said:
Strollers are something we used more often in Disney than anywhere else, so our strollers have gotten their last uses at Disney. Instead of throwing them away, I have approached people at the gate and offered our stroller to them. Twice they were stollers I owned and once it was a stroller offered to me!

I also belong to www.freecycle.org because I try not to put unnecessary things in our landfills.

Don't you LOVE freecycle - I've gotten rid of a TON of stuff - and have gotten some wonderful things as well!

My BEST freecycle find was a Broyhill dresser - exactly in a style I would have BOUGHT!!

We also had "inherited" a king size mattress and I found the 2 twin foundations on freecycle! I'm AMAZED by it!

Speaking of finding great stuff left for the trashppl.. When my son was a baby my mom-in-law got us a BRAND NEW Graco stroller she found left out for the garbage! The story I heard behind why a brand new , expensive stroller that was originaly trashed was because my mom-in-laws neighbors (who have spats all the time) had an argument about the new stroller and the wife threw the stroller out to the trash in a huff because she wanted to her husband to get one of those jogging strollers! LOL It was there out infront of her house for a day b4 my mil decided to grab it before it started to rain . hehehe :earboy2:

Not a Disney related find but still amazing what people throw away. There is a church in our area that is very large and very wealthy. Well, years ago this couple who had lost a child bought a set of bells, the kind you have a bell choir for, and donated them to the church. These bells are worth about $30,000. Well, about 6 months ago someone at the church saw they were throwing them away!!! Can you believe that? I mean, this is a huge set, 5 octaves, and very valuable. Not a thing wrong with them. Anyway, this person remembered the couple who donated them and they now go to our church. She called the couple and they got the bells and donated them to our church. We were so excited and proud to get the bells. It just amazes me that this big church would just throw them away.

taximomfor4 said:
We are bringing our 2-wide-slice toaster with us, and intend to pass it on to someone. We are packing poptarts for breakfasts, and bringing the toaster. Since we are upgrading (it's about time) to a 4-slice one, this one will remain in FL.

Anyone arriving 4/2 and need a toaster for your stay?
We did this with our toaster on our last trip--it wasn't an overly expensive toaster but it was brand new. We used it for breakfasts, it helped us save quite a bit of money but we didn't want to haul it home! It has a new home in FL!

jjarman said:
Not a Disney related find but still amazing what people throw away. There is a church in our area that is very large and very wealthy. Well, years ago this couple who had lost a child bought a set of bells, the kind you have a bell choir for, and donated them to the church. These bells are worth about $30,000. Well, about 6 months ago someone at the church saw they were throwing them away!!! Can you believe that? I mean, this is a huge set, 5 octaves, and very valuable. Not a thing wrong with them. Anyway, this person remembered the couple who donated them and they now go to our church. She called the couple and they got the bells and donated them to our church. We were so excited and proud to get the bells. It just amazes me that this big church would just throw them away.

:scared1: THROWING AWAY handbells! That seems unchristian! Who would do such a thing? Even when our choir got new robes, we donated our old ones to a rural church that wanted them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter