Anyone ever made cupcakes in ice cream cones?

eeyorefan74

DIS Veteran
I'm planning on making cupcakes in ice cream cones for DD to take to school for her birthday tomorrow. The cookbook we saw them in said to make them the day of so they don't get soggy. Has anyone done this? Do I need to get up extra early in the morning to make them or can I get them ready tonight? Anything else I need to know before attempting this?

You do need to make them the day of to avoid them being soggy, although I don't know that the kids really care. If you want to get a good "top" on them you can make a foil collar to go around the cone by taking a strip of foil about 4 inches high and long enough to go around and folding it double and then use Scotch brand tape to secure it. This way you can fill the cone to 2/3 full and let it bake up to make a nice top. Transport can also be tricky, but we got the flat cardboard trays that soda 6 packs come in (or a paper box lid) and cut holes in it to set the cones in. These are really cute and fun to make.

I forgot to say that you need to put Pam or Crisco on the foil strips so that the cake doesn't stick to them.

I did this for DDs birthday one year. I agree not doing them too early, because the cupcake will begin to make the cones soggy. I would make them the day of. If you use a cake mix, it is very quick to do. I put the cones into a muffin pan and stuffed aluminum foil around it to keep them upright. Fill them almost to the top, so you don't have to use as much frosting. I ended up piping the frosting so it had a soft serve ice cream look to it.

I have done these a number of times. They are alot of fun. I always made mine the day before - didn't even think of the soggy factor. Didn't seem to be an issue. I put them in a backing pan that had high sides to hold them all.

Wilton makes a pan now that makes the cupcakes into ice cream cone shapes. I just bought it last night so not sure how well it works but looks adorable. I too have to make cupcakes for my daughter's class tomorrow for her birthday.

Here is a link. I found it at AC Moore and used a 40% off:

http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=4692

The regular ice cream cones do get soggy!

:) This is a school birthday favorite with my kids too! To make transporting easier I flip a disposable muffin tin over so its upside down on a high sided platter and cut holes in the muffin spots to fit the cones in then I set the cones inside the holes, holds them perfectly. Have fun! This will also work great for the baking part aswell just set them ontop of the cookie sheets !

another fun thing is to take muffin mix (we like the cinnamon strussel mix) and bake them in the ice cream cone!!! Its a delicious muffin in the con and kids LOVE it!!!

I made them in July for a beach party and the kids loved them, a friend called me the pied piper because the kids were following me as I walked to the dessert table to put them down. I made them the morning of party since they don't take long to do. As for transporting them I found this idea on a baking site and it worked perfectly (actually used it to bake them also).

Take a baking pan (one with high sides) and cover the top is heavy duty aluminum foil then you make x's in the foil and push the cones through the x's. They didn't even wobble and made transporting a breeze.

Yup, I made them for my youngest DS when he was in pre-school. Now I understand why the teachers said they'd prefer no cupcakes! The kids didn't eat them. They licked off the frosting, and the rest went right into the garbage. Those who ate them were wearing them...very messy!!

Wilton makes a pan now that makes the cupcakes into ice cream cone shapes. I just bought it last night so not sure how well it works but looks adorable. I too have to make cupcakes for my daughter's class tomorrow for her birthday.

Here is a link. I found it at AC Moore and used a 40% off:

http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=4692

The regular ice cream cones do get soggy!

That pan is so cute. Too bad they only make 4 at a time - I'd need to make 6 batches for my son's class of 24 kids...or buy $200 worth of pans. Not happening either way!

Take a baking pan (one with high sides) and cover the top is heavy duty aluminum foil then you make x's in the foil and push the cones through the x's. They didn't even wobble and made transporting a breeze.

If you have a deep shirt box from a department store, this works also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter