• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever heard of a "Magical Moment" ???

A
E. Magical Moments are different all the time and I doubt anyone here is now running around EXPECTING to have any of these things happen to them.

!

Seriously?

People post/whine all the time on the DIS about how they didn't get the towel animals they read about onthe DIS. And that's just the FIRST example that popped into my head. (Also a very clear cut one involving folks developing a sense of entitlement over something that supposed to be a random surprise.)

You don't think it's also why there are LINES to see characters?

WHY there is now a line to join Jedi Training?

I'm sure that's not the only reason they changed Tinkerbell's gift shop, but I also hardly doubt that what I happened to witness on one random morning was a singular event. Just like riding the monorail, it changed from being a surprise to something guests expected. Even if polite, ASKING to have a magic moment bestowed upon you is taking away a good part of the magic.

I also beg to differ that folks aren't using the internet to research WDW. I just don't know what to say to refute that. When was the last time you booked any airfare without it? My airline just about requires it now. Any hotel? When was the last time you looked up any destination and discovered that it DIDN'T have a web page? Even my hair salon has a website. Only a small percentage of very new or very small mom and pop shops don't. When was the last time you saw a WDW commercial that DIDN'T include a reference to Disney's website? It's not a big leap to get here from there.

Also, I was careful not to say that folks can't report any of their magic moments- just be please be careful HOW you post. There are ways to share that don't involve giving too much info. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's day...Actually, I'm attempting to to the opposite- I'm trying to SAVE the magic moment.

We've had a few unexpected Magical Moments, not that recent, but oh so memorable.

When my dd was just about (3), she'll be 14 in Sept now, we were watching the 3 o'clock parade in MK (don't remember what it was called now.) We were sitting right outside of Casey's on Main St. One of the floats carrying the Princesses rode by and Cinderella waved directly at dd. Just past us, the float stopped. All the characters, including Cinderella, got off the float and picked people out of the audience. Cinderella came right over to dd grabbed her by the hand and took her out to dance in the parade. DD had Cinerella on 1 side and the Prince on the other. Another man tried to bring his dd up and put her between Cinderella and my dd and Cinderella would not let go of my dd's hand. I was sold after that and have gone back every yr since.

When my ds was about 3 yrs old, he loved the Character Connection, but it was before it was called that and it wasn't so formal on how it was set up at the time. Right at the beginning of the morning at Epcot, he wanted to go there, so we went. When we entered, we were the only ones in there. Mickey started to run over to see ds, unfortunately, Mickey tripped and fell over on my ds and he also lost his shoe. Ds started crying, you could see that Mickey was very upset about what had just happened. All of the other characters came running over to make sure ds was ok, which he was. They gave him so much attention and I was able to get this lovely picture:

DanwCharacters2006.jpg

Then lastly, we were able to ride Pooh's Ride with Tigger because we were one of the first people there. We actually rode the ride once and when we got off we saw the characters there and were able to get back in line and ride with Tigger. It was the highlight of that trip.

I answered a quiz about UK history in one of the stores in the UK at World Showcase and got a certificate for it. These little extra touches are what make going to WDW even more enjoyable.

We had a few happen to us over the last several visits.

On our first visit with the kids, we were heading back to the monorail late one night and the CM started chatting with us. My dh is very talkative with all CM's...asks them questions about how they like working for WDW and things like that. Well....and while I knew about riding in the front, I didn't ever think to ask about it....the CM asked if our kids (the three oldest) would like to ride up front. We ended up having to wait for a few minutes, as the monorail leaving had a trainee in it, but my kids happily waited. They got to ride in the front and got their "pilot's license". They talked about it for DAYS.:goodvibes

We celebrated our eldest son's 13th birthday while at the World...ate at 1900 Park Fare. I had ordered a cake for him, and we were expecting that, but not expecting the crown they had him wear and the placemat that all the characters signed for him (that we, sadly, forgot.) He was very good natured about it...and had a great time.

On our 10th anniversary trip, my husband got to ring the triangle at breakfast at Boatwright's at POR...they even gave him a little plastic hardhat with his name on it, that he dutifully wore for the waitstaff, lol.

I was chosen to play the princess in a skit in Japan at WS in EPCOT. I got a pin that said "Honorary World Showcase Player" and was told if I wore it, that meant I wouldn't get picked again all day, lol.

Lots of fun things...even without a certificate, these were Magic Moments to us.

One MM that happened to us was a very very very long time ago, when I was six :laughing: My dad and I rented on of the little boats that left from the Contemporary and after about five minutes of exploring it spluttered out of gas. It only took a couple of minutes before we saw a speedboat rushing towards us to help. As it pulled up next to us, out climbs Goofy and he lifts me into the bigger boat. A mistake on Disney's part, turned into a childhood dream, a private cruise with my favorite character Goofy.

During our trip last year, almost everytime we got fastpasses, it spit out an extra set. That was alot of fun :cool1:

But, I would have to agree with what a poster said earlier that the moments that I am the most grateful for are the unofficial MM ones, where a CM or guest go out of their way to help when I "look like I needed it" not because I expected it.

Last year we found a nook to watch the parade in AK. There was only enough space for my dd and I to fit in on the side of a icecream vendor. My dd is very fair and overheats in 70 degree weather-lol! She turns completely red. The vendor gave us drinks...and then icecream. I tried to pay and he told me that we were his guests for the afternoon :)

We did our first trip last May during the famous Monsoon. lol

We took dd to BBB in the am and got to ride a bunch of things in Fantasyland and then about 11 am the sky opened up and poured on us. We figured it was gonna be a 20 minute shower (oh how wrong we were) and I though this would be a great time to duck into the candy store and do those build-your-own-rice-krispie-treats. (for some reason I thought they were on Main Street and not DTD)

We wonder all though the candy store and didn't see anything. So I went up to a cast member and tried to explain what we were looking for and she had NO idea (who doesn't know about these treats??) where they were made. She asked me to wait right there for a second and went and spoke with her manager. Next thing I know they are wheeling out a cart, put hats and aprons on my kids, and hand them a rice treat on a stick. They had chocolate for them to drizzle, sprinkles for them to decorate, etc. Gave them a certificate when they were done and boxed up the treats for them. They wouldn't even let us pay for them.

It was quite a magical moment for the kids.

Amy

I've been to Disney so many times in the 20 years of my life and the magical moments it has given me, I will never forget.

When I was about five years old, I caught Alice in Wonderland coming out of CM area or Wonderland. I'll never be sure.:laughing: Either way, I zipped off to her. I still remember her being the prettiest Alice in Wonderland I've ever seen.

I was already to get her autograph with excitement but it seems she was kinda far off from her regular meeting spot. Either way, she took me by the hand and we walked off together. I remember grinning like mad while she told about a certain white rabbit that she was trying to find and how I was going to help her. Just being able to spend that much time with her made me feel so special.:cloud9: Hehe.

I also remember the first time I was asked to help steer the monorail when I was about eight. My dad and me got to sit up front. As I stared out the window feeling like I had the best view in the ride while my dad chatted up the CM driving because he loves asking people about their jobs and then telling him we're from the cold north. Haha!

It was in our last trip in summer 2009, we had the most Magical Moments and was even able to create one for others! We're a big family of six but two decided to sit out on Splash Mountain. (Mom's scared of most rides and my brother decided to leave and have a lazy day in the hotel. Don't ask me why. :confused3 Hehe.) So with those two extra tickets we tried to decide if either two people should get to go on twice or what. Suddenly after seeing a family look at the two hour wait on that sunny day, we gave away the tickets to that family! They ended up giving into to their young two sons who joined us in line! Through the line, the boys are thanking us heavily which was so sweet since they were so small and cute. There was a bit of a language barrier since they mostly spoke Spanish but we still had a ball with them and even got to go on Splash Mountain with them! That act of kindness made my family's day!

My little sisters and I also got to experience the first time we ever so a Disney character go on a ride. The character may not have got on the ride with us but it didn't make it any less exciting when we saw The White Rabbit get on the Magic Tea Cup ride! Hehe! We made sure to get his autograph afterwards and me and my sisters couldn't stop talking about it!

We have had a few. One of the funniest was one I still just giggle over. We were at DHS and walking past a popcorn cart. We weren't going to stop, but the CM caught my daughter's attention and motioned over. She told her to hold out her arm, where she hung a bucket of popcorn. She then said "Just walk away...." And we did........ giggling the entire way! popcorn:: :yay:

My husband got to place the hole on the 18th at the Magolia course. Not only did he get a certificate; they put a sign on the 18th that said "hole placement by XXX from XXX, California.

We got several bottles of champagne and 10 glasses for our group, along with certificate, on our Disney cruise last year.

:thumbsup2 Love this thread!

Our MM happened when our then DD5 (now 17!) got a bee caught in her ponytail while we were waiting to ride BTMRR. It stung her & she began to cry so we left the line & took her to 1st aid. After the CMs tended to her welt they asked her where she was when she got stung, and then they gave the 3 of us FOTL passes for BTMRR. It was a bad moment turned magical by some caring CMs.

Before the CRT was a character dining place, DH and I went there for dinner one night on our engagement trip. Our waiter was awesome, got a table by the back window and had an awesome meal. We told our waiter that this was so unexpected to be able to eat in the castle because we didn't know it was there. We'd gotten engaged our first day in the parks right outside the castle. Our waiter came back with champaign flutes for DH and I with CRT logo on it. It was very unexpected and very special.

One trip we were asked to participate in a game type attraction in Innoventions in Epcot, when we were finished we got a special lanyard and 2 pins on it. Not sure how or why it happened but it was cool!
Minnesota

These are so wonderful to read! I am the OP and I am very happy to read all these replies......thanks DIS'ers!

So, they just randomly do this ??? You don't actually ask for a Magical Moment do you??

No you don't ask! It isn't magical when you ask. Cast members aren't likely to do things for you if you demand it. The system most cast members use at work for assignments will give out assignments like "Take 5" or "magical moment" and the cast member then has 10-15 minutes usually to go make a magical moment. Sometimes the area has a specific Magical Moment, other times they just make it up. ANd you don't always get a certificate. At GMR a Magical Moment can simply be taking guests to the front of the line.

One EMH night at around 12:30 am I was working stroller parking at GMR when the line was about an hour wait I had a dad ask jokingly as he entered the line "Can we just cut to the front?" and he laughed a little and started to get in line. I said Sure you can. Follow me. And I started walking. And the family didn't believe me. lol But I convinced them to follow me and I took them directly to the front of the line and put them in the front row. They could barely believe it.

Little things like that make guests really happy. And happy guests make for happy cast members :goodvibes

In January we had a couple of magical moments; surprise fast passes and the best was DD5 was chosen to be the "princess of the day" at the Beauty and the Beast show at DHS. She got a "Red Red Rose" certificate. At the end of the show a CM walked her up to the stage and Belle and the Prince gave her a stuffed rose. :flower3:

We've had a few...some 'certificated', some not...over the course of our 4 trips.

Dd was made an honorary pirate captain and got a 'gem', some pixie dust, and a certificate....

When we were picked to be Grand Marshals in the parade we got a certificate, ears, 2 FP for any ride of our choice and a Photopass guy who followed the parade and took pics....

Dd was given the last remaining Haunted Mansion key chain they were using for the cart keys from the merchandise cart outside the HM when they were sold out...

We've been given FP twice for any ride of our choice...

Dd was chosen to hold Piglet's hand and lead the 'parade' around Crystal Palace during our dinner there...

To me a "Magical Moment" is really anything that happens at Disney that would only happen at Disney :love:

When we were picked to be Grand Marshals in the parade we got a certificate, ears, 2 FP for any ride of our choice and a Photopass guy who followed the parade and took pics....

Now THIS is MY dream!!!

Would you mind sharing where and when you were selected? I want to hang out and ask to be grand marshalls!!! :rotfl2: JUST KIDDING!!! (That was for the previous poster begging people not to post their magical moments....)

But I'd like to know where one might.... you know....:rolleyes1..... hang out looking like Grand Marshall-ish!

Now THIS is MY dream!!!

Would you mind sharing where and when you were selected? I want to hang out and ask to be grand marshalls!!! :rotfl2: JUST KIDDING!!! (That was for the previous poster begging people not to post their magical moments....)

But I'd like to know where one might.... you know....:rolleyes1..... hang out looking like Grand Marshall-ish!

:rotfl::rotfl:

I will tell you that it was an amazing experience!! I'm not a crier, but when the CM asked us if we would like to be Grand Marshals the water works totally started!

We were picked on Main St. - we never did figure out what it was that got us picked, and most likely it was one or a combination of the following things:
1. We approached the CM, not the other way around...or at least our dd did - she asked to pin trade for a Tinker Bell pin.
2. We all had on Mickey tee shirts.
3. Dd (5 1/2 at the time) was talkative and outgoing when the CM asked her questions.
4. We were the right number of people (3) to fit in the rumble seat of the car we rode in.
5. It was the last day of our vacation (the CM asked how long we had been there...)

Good Luck! It truly was a Magical experience :wizard: I kept reminding dd the entire parade to please, please remember that moment considering the chances of us ever getting picked again are astronomical!

:rotfl::rotfl:

I will tell you that it was an amazing experience!! I'm not a crier, but when the CM asked us if we would like to be Grand Marshals the water works totally started!

We were picked on Main St. - we never did figure out what it was that got us picked, and most likely it was one or a combination of the following things:
1. We approached the CM, not the other way around...or at least our dd did - she asked to pin trade for a Tinker Bell pin.
2. We all had on Mickey tee shirts.
3. Dd (5 1/2 at the time) was talkative and outgoing when the CM asked her questions.
4. We were the right number of people (3) to fit in the rumble seat of the car we rode in.
5. It was the last day of our vacation (the CM asked how long we had been there...)

Good Luck! It truly was a Magical experience :wizard: I kept reminding dd the entire parade to please, please remember that moment considering the chances of us ever getting picked again are astronomical!

What an amazing memory!

Can I ask what time of day it was?

You know, my big fear is that it will finally happen on the last day of our trip sometime, when I have to be to the airport BEFORE the parade! I'm pretty sure I'd reschedule our return flight for that......

What an amazing memory!

Can I ask what time of day it was?

You know, my big fear is that it will finally happen on the last day of our trip sometime, when I have to be to the airport BEFORE the parade! I'm pretty sure I'd reschedule our return flight for that......

We got chosen fairly early in the morning...altho' I will say that the CM told us sometimes it takes hours to find the right family or group for exactly the reason you stated (when we went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour our guide told us the same thing used to happen when trying to find people to stay in the castle when they were still doing that as part of Year of a Million Dreams - can you imagine? I would have missed my flight!!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter