anyone ever head to WDW broke $$$ UPDATE post 1

Our trip is paid off (MYWPH tickets, room, DDP , seaworld tickets ) BUT long story short we have had about 2,000 in very unexpected but necessary expenses within the last month and a half so needless to say we now are out of $ for tips, gas ( we have 100.00 of gas cards towards expense as we are driving ), extra's etc..

cancelling this trip is not an option as it is for DD sweet 16 and she has invited a friend along.

We have accounts that we can take the necessary $ out of I just really did not want to, but I see no other option.

Do many people go on vacation when they do not have all their money ( saved in advance ) ?

Since you only have a week left before you leave, there are only a few options for quick money. A quick yard sale is a good idea, or maybe listing a few things to sell in your newspaper, on ebay, or amazon. If you have any old DVD's or VHS tapes you can try to sell them to a video store (I know all of our video rental places do this). Someone else mentioned donating plasma, I guess that's always an option, lol. I would map out your route and approximately figure out where you'd be stopping for gas, then look up the gas prices and make sure you hit up the cheapest station (this of course would have to be done almost the day before you leave). That may end up saving you some money for your drive down and back. Also before you leave, have your husband or someone you know that's good with cars take a look under the hood to see if there may be any potential problems- it would be better to know and fix it before you leave. But since you mentioned you have another account you can take money out of, it might be a good idea to take some out just in case you do get a flat tire, etc.
I hope some of these suggestions help! And once you get there, just keep track of the tips, etc. And I know you'll have an awesome time, because you'll be in the happiest place on earth!! :cloud9:

Garage sale

Give plasma

Look for a buisness that needs someone to come and clean at night

A second temp job through a temp agency

Can your daughter get a part time job if she does not have one so she can have her own spending money?

Give up some luxuries like TV or Internet

Sorry, that is all I can think of for fast money.

Thank you, those are all good ideas but we do not have a problem with $ for our daily lives. It is just we leave in 9 days and once again just got hit with yet another bill that took the last of our vacation $ and in 9 days it will be near impossible to replenish it. We have decided that it is best to take it from another account so that we have plenty and will will then put back what we do not spend and then re-place the rest of it.

Also before you leave, have your husband or someone you know that's good with cars take a look under the hood to see if there may be any potential problems- it would be better to know and fix it before you leave.

my husband is a mechanic and that is how we found out about our most recent bill .

We have decided that it is best to take it from another account so that we have plenty and will will then put back what we do not spend and then re-place the rest of it.

Sounds like a Savings Account?

Yep-that's the purpose of having savings-emergencies and such

no, no, no
Sea world is an amazing experience, and very fun! Do not give this up.
One thing about the credit card companies (they are paying the price too). As of today there will be many Banks/small business going belly up. We are in big trouble. Depending on which bank you have your savings/checking account with your money may be taken and closed with the bank. our recession is getting very scary:scared:
Hope all of you have a wonderful time!

no, no, no
One thing about the credit card companies (they are paying the price too). As of today there will be many Banks/small business going belly up. We are in big trouble. Depending on which bank you have your savings/checking account with your money may be taken and closed with the bank. our recession is getting very scary:scared:

Linda, you have ,managed to encourage and scare the heck out of me in one post:goodvibes :scared:

Lisa, sorry to panic you but Our country is in a pickle right now. I'm not saying to get your $ out of the bank and store it in your mattress, but the thought has crossed my mind:guilty:
We are all hurting right now and need to watch our spending. Although we are also entitled to enjoy our family with a nice vacation. We would love to plan another Discruise soon

Lisa, sorry to panic you but Our country is in a pickle right now. I'm not saying to get your $ out of the bank and store it in your mattress, but the thought has crossed my mind:guilty:
We are all hurting right now and need to watch our spending. Although we are also entitled to enjoy our family with a nice vacation. We would love to plan another Discruise soon

I know it's very scary right now and it gets confusing as to what the right choice is-go on vacation you saved for or cancel? Keep money invested-take it and run?

I had been following this thread because I can sympathize with the OP and how things pop up. We had made a family pact that if we couldn't do our vacation without tapping any savings, bill money, or credit cards-we wouldn't go. We scrimped and saved and had a few bumps along the way and we are going, but we are going budget in regards to shopping $.

When I read your post I was immediately upbeat about your Sea World answer-and then sobered by your very true and real summary of the economy right now. Then I was amused by how one post had made me run the gamut of emotions-:laughing:

Thanks for such a lively post:) -I hope you didn't take any offense.

Totally agree with you and your family about the appreciation of a dollar and when you do take that vacation it will be more relaxing. Sometimes tough times are not all that bad. We could all learn something. Lots of things are taken for granted. For instance this holiday we are cutting way back and have spoken to our kids about doing a charity event, instead give to others this year. But of course we will need to get them at least one thing each. Just being with family is what is important "cherished":hug:
Ps op try to make sure from now until you leave for your vacation to make all meals at home so that your not spending extra $ out before you leave.

No actually you don't. You can check in with a debit card and/or with cash.

Yes, lots of us have credit cards. However, the theme on the Budget Board is that "credit cards are EVIL" IMHO, credit cards are pieces of plastic. They are not live and therefore cannot be evil. Credit card companies are not the ones charging on our cards, WE are....

I have credit cards and use them. But I know that on here I am considered quite the "rebel" LOL!

Another rebel here!!!! The CC does not talk to me and say "I want you to buy me this." I decide to go to the store and I decide what to purchase. The only way cash would help is if I did not bring enough for the purchase, but I could just run to the ATM and then back to the line.

no, no, no

Bolding is mine.
No one should be alarmed if they have their money in an FDIC-insured account and their balance is under $100K. My parents had some money in one of the S&Ls that went belly up in the mid 1980's, but they just waited til the dust settled and got their money back.

:confused3
no, no, no

This goes into the "irresponsible" post category! :confused3

Yes, things are scary but do we really need to post this type of junke.

If you have more then $100,000 in the bank you need to move it two TWO banks. Two accounts doesn't work.

However, if ANYONE depositor has LESS then $100,000 on deposit with an FDIC insured bank or a federally insured Credit Union their money is safe. I have had my bank closed. My money was not "taken" it was still there. It is now on deposit with NEW bank, but other then new checks, debit card etc I was NEVER impacted.

OP- you seem like a responsible person...I have every confidence that you will go within your budget...and still have a great time. I always leave a cc on file when I check in...for all the tips and incidentals(drinks for dh and $35 gifts for each of my kids are what goes on it). I pay it off when I get home. I do carry tip money...and I do buy groceries(even if it is at Hess).

If you are on the DP - I would cancel that if possible(might not be now with a package deal)...if not just do not order items that you will not eat(eg-on DDp but you do not like dessert-you save the cost of that tip-by not ordereing).

Sell books online(you should have the check when you get back) and try to recover the money asap...good luck

For the ride down, buy the huge refillable mugs from hess or race trac (they don't care what name is on the cup, they still only charge you like 80cents a refill) and put some frozen coke in it and it'll stay cold for a long time, and after it starts to melt, it'll still be cold coke not watery stuff. We do that for every road trip. And once you have a drink you don't have to buy a drink when you stop for food. Think about it, you spend 1.59 for have a cup of ice and about 8oz of soda when you go to McD's.
And you can refill them at the hess stations here on property for a buck as well.
At the hotel, buy only one souvenier or two cups and just share the drink. but if you're on the ddp, you don't have much to worry about.

Don't pull out of your stash of savings, it's so much harder to put it all back in once you do take it out. And plastic is evil, talk about still paying off for disney trips i took almost three years ago. I've got the bills to prove it.

Go on your trip and enjoy what you've already paid for, don't sweat over stuff you can't buy. And do enjoy the DDP, for the food you get, it really is worth it. And at the end of your trip save up all your snacks, and then get a whole bunch for your ride home like bags of chips or pretzels and candy.

Although if you are going to the party, take one day off of your tickets into the park. The parties are incredibly quiet in comparison to the day, and if you want to enjoy it, you need to be awake. So take that day to sleep in, hang out at the pool, maybe origanize some clothes. You get in the park at 4pm-till midnight, it's plenty of time to see and do a lot. don't waste the money for only a few extra hours.

:confused3

This goes into the "irresponsible" post category! :confused3

Yes, things are scary but do we really need to post this type of junke.

If you have more then $100,000 in the bank you need to move it two TWO banks. Two accounts doesn't work.

However, if ANYONE depositor has LESS then $100,000 on deposit with an FDIC insured bank or a federally insured Credit Union their money is safe. I have had my bank closed. My money was not "taken" it was still there. It is now on deposit with NEW bank, but other then new checks, debit card etc I was NEVER impacted.

:thumbsup2

Anyone who is old enough to have a bank account is old enough to understand FDIC and what it means to them.

And if you do get outstanding service when you eat, don't feel bad about giving a normal tip, but make sure you let the manager know, and then go to guest relations and ask if you can fill out a guest service fanatic card or leave a note for them.

Three of my greatest things that I have gotten are personal notes that they've left for me telling me how great it was to meet me. The money is going to get spent, but that note I will always have.

Our last trip was $200 OOP with tips and a couple drinks. We dont buy much so if you can scrape up gas and tip money you should be alright. Maybe you have to tip 18% instead of 20% just to get those few extra gallons of gas to get home.

Have a good trip regardless, I already know our November trip is our super budget trip. It will be a how cheap can I do this lesson!

:confused3 Really? No one here has a credit card?
I thought you HAD to have a credit card on file at every Hotel you check in to-including WDW?

Nope, debit card or cash has gotten us on all of our vacations. We dont charge to the room, we have disney gift cards that we use to pay for tips, etc.

No actually you don't. You can check in with a debit card and/or with cash.

Yes, lots of us have credit cards. However, the theme on the Budget Board is that "credit cards are EVIL" IMHO, credit cards are pieces of plastic. They are not live and therefore cannot be evil. Credit card companies are not the ones charging on our cards, WE are....

I have credit cards and use them. But I know that on here I am considered quite the "rebel" LOL!
Let me join you in your rebellion, then! I use my CCs for everything! But key is not to overextend yourself using credit.

A lot of people who are "cash only" have been in a position where they dug themselves into a deep hole using plastic. After struggling to get out of that hole, they emerge with a determination never to be there again. For many of them, a cash-only way of life is the best assurance that they won't.

To the OP:
I certainly would not cancel the trip at this late date. However, I would make sure that I could tap into those other accounts in the case of an emergency. Just like in real life, things can happen in WDW and on the way there. Go and have a good time...and leave those dark clouds at home.

But when I got home, I would seriously start to set up an emergency fund so that I did not have to drain my vacation account every time an unforeseen expense arose. Thank goodness that you had that vacation account to cover those emergencies. But a vacation savings account should be in addition to an emergency fund and not in place of one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter