anyone ever head to WDW broke $$$ UPDATE post 1

OOPs, Didn't realize it was a "cash only" board. My Mistake-- I deleted what I originally said.
I can't imagine traveling without a cc, we went to visit family over the summer and got 2 flat tires half way there. How awful taht would have been if I didn't have my CC.

OOPs, Didn't realize it was a "cash only" board. My Mistake-- I deleted what I originally said.
I can't imagine traveling without a cc, we went to visit family over the summer and got 2 flat tires half way there. How awful taht would have been if I didn't have my CC.

Don't feel bad - I wouldn't go without a credit card either, 'cause you never know what might happen and you have to plan for emergencies!

Sorry OP - not trying to hijack your thread.

I'd borrow from your other accounts, hope to pay it back soon after getting home, and be as frugal as possible without ruining your trip. Personally, I'd cut back on the sea world tickets if you haven't already gotten them but that's just me.

Another way is to earn a little cash while you are down there by doing a couple of timeshare tours. Just get them to book you for the earliest one in the morning and tell them you want a cash gift. You could probably get 80.00-100.00 for each one you do.

If need be maybe drop one day off the trip to gain some $ then there is a YARD SALE! You've got time, just don't let your hubby see his golf club set out on the lawn!!!

You are definitely taking a huge risk by not having a lot of emergency cash for incidentals. You will need to be as frugal as possible - bring a lot of snacks, bottled water and breakfast items that you can store in your room so you're not tempted to buy food in the park.

You would probably run the risk of cancellation fees if you cancelled your trip now, so you might as well go. But see if you can change your current reservation to make the trip a little more affordable:

1 - Maybe move down a level if you are staying at a deluxe or moderate resort
2 - Drop the PH option on your WDW tickets
3 - Instead of Sea World, have a resort day or add 1 day to your WDW tickets (which would probably be less expensive than SW)

This might free up a little extra cash for you while you are down there. Just a few ideas I thought I'd suggest!

Is there anyway you can get rid of your Sea World tickets? That would give you some extra money.

The Sea world tickets are vouchers we got from turning in points on the credit card.

We only eat 2 meals a day so do not plan on having to spend much on food at Sea World

I would be especially concerned with bringing a guest if there isn't enough money to cover obligations (tips/gas) or emergencies. I'd be upset as the other parent.

We have enough to cover it all I just was basically wondering if it is a common experience that people have to ' tap ' into other accounts due to un-forseen circumstances that come up last minute.

By no means is the other girl going to suffer in any way. I can't imagine the parents would be upset when their child is getting an all expense paid trip to
WDW. The only way she would suffer is when the 2 girls are forced to push the car when we run out of gas ......JUST KIDDING :goodvibes

No, I don't ever go unless I have the money saved ahead of time. I'd hate to be worried about not having enough for tips, snacks etc. Even with the dining plan you need to have tip money this year.

I totally agree with you. We did have the money saved up but various things kept coming up that we would have to take the vacation $ out to pay things off then when we got it put back another bill would come up and now with the trip only 9 days away we do not have enough time to put it back.

If you see someone walking around WDW from sept 26 thru Oct 3 with a black cloud over them that us , turn and run in the opposite direction as fast as you can you do NOT want the bad luck we have been having lately :rotfl: , on the brighter side my mom is going thru chemo and we were not even sure if we were going to be able to go but she is doing wonderfull so we plan on going since we are not sure when we will be able to get back.

I think I read you were on Deluxe Dining Plan. Would you consider switching to regular DDP (if that's possible at this point...). I think you save over $30/person/day, plus you wouldn't have to tip as much since you would be eating at CS (the tips do start to add up!) We have found that the regular plan is more than enough food (we eat breakfast bars in the room before we leave). Bringing your own snacks and beverages helps a lot too (you can avoid late night treks to the food court this way).

Also, use Disney Transportation as much as possible once you get there (the gas you save will add up, and it is pretty convenient, albeit it does take a little longer).

As long as you pack wisely, you can have a wonderful time without too many OOP expenses. Last year, when my boyfriend and I went with DDP, I think we spent less than $100 (extra) between us in a week, and this included a few glasses of wine and some small souvenirs.

Most importantly, try to enjoy the trip.

We always save for our trips sp that it is paid for beforehand and that account is "untouchable" We have another emergency account so that out trip money is never used. I suppose if there was something devastating we might tap into the trip fund but we never have yet. If you have ADR's evey day maybe you could cancel a few of them and just go the counter service route that would free up some tip money. Oh you have the dining plan someone commented on downgrading to b asic perhaps that is an option? Depending if you were tipping housekeeping I would say since you are not obligated to tip I would skip it this trip under the circumstances. I know that topic in itself is hot here (tipping housekeeping) but it sounds like you need to have that extra yourself right now. I know you mentioned using the DD for MNSSHP but if you were already using a ticket to get into the park that day I would consider skipping that extra expense. I know it is a special event but it is an added cost and you could use the DD for something else instead. That is just what I would do. Best of luck I know it is never fun when the unexpected expenses come up but hopefully you will enjoy yourself.

I describe my life as being on fiire this year. It's been one "surprise" after another. Before our June Disney trip we had a major plumbing problem. There was a lot of water damage it was awful. It wasn't the perfect time for a trip but it was paid for and non refundable. I cut back a bit and we went. Thank goodness for my emergency fund.

Fast Forward to my upcoming trip for my Mom's 60th birthday. Major car problem and ANOTHER house problem, yikes! They also took my emergency fund and more than half of my Disney spending money. The trip is already paid for.

ebay....all you need is a week and with some work you should be able some extra money.

No way would I go without spending money for incidentals, an emergency fund or money for tips.

We just got back on the 7th from our WDW vacation. Before we left, we also ran into unexpected financial difficulties. Cancelling the trip wasn't an option, we would have lost more money that way.

We had money for food and $103 Disney Dollars. We decided to use the DD to pay for our MNSSHP rather than souvenirs. I thought it would be hard not buying anything, but, by the end of the trip, DH and I realized how much time we used to waste in the shops! (Believe me, it was a lot!)

Is there anyway you can get rid of your Sea World tickets? That would give you some extra money.

If you have to give something up I would give up Seaworld. We went there last year as we had free passes because they came with Discovery Cove passes. We went to the park for 4 hours and it was a let down.

We are a cash only family here. It seems like this month has been one thing after another! Our oven quit (WTH causes a 5 yr old oven to just stop working), now the car is acting up. As long as it gets me through the next 3 days..... :rotfl2:....I don't care. I'm about to pull my hair out!

I have some spending money and money for our meals, just not as much as I had hoped, but what ya going to do? :confused:

Good luck....I hope all goes well for you!

If you can tap into your other accounts from WDW if needed, I would go and have a great time knowing that it was there if you had to have it. If you can't tap into it from there, I would take some out in case of emergency and then put back what was not used. You said it yourself that you don't want to use it but it was there if it had to be used so you are much less likely to tap into it for items that are just frivolous.

It really sounds to me like you need and deserve this vacation so yes, by all means, go and have a great time!! Sometimes you could lose that black cloud by having a little fun and relaxing;)

It can be done! We just returned from an 8 day trip with free dining. It had been paid for with our stimulus check. The kids had been saving for their spending money (not much, but it was enough for them to buy a few souveniers). My husband and I didn't buy any souveniers and all we needed was tip money. We didn't realize we would be broke until a few days before we left when my paycheck was several hundred dollars short because of more taxes being taken out. Anyway, I was nervous about it, but we had a blast and spent hardly anything!! Relax and enjoy! I was determined to have fun without the extra money because I knew it would be a while before we went back!

Garage sale

Give plasma

Look for a buisness that needs someone to come and clean at night

A second temp job through a temp agency

Can your daughter get a part time job if she does not have one so she can have her own spending money?

Give up some luxuries like TV or Internet

Sorry, that is all I can think of for fast money.

My concern is what if something happens. I know that this board is a "Cash only" board, but what if the car breaks down or your flight is cancelled etc. !

:confused3 Really? No one here has a credit card?
I thought you HAD to have a credit card on file at every Hotel you check in to-including WDW?

I'm sure the gas alone from Boston will be $300-450 (using that calculator)

:confused3 Really? No one here has a credit card?
I thought you HAD to have a credit card on file at every Hotel you check in to-including WDW?

I'm sure the gas alone from Boston will be $300-450 (using that calculator)

No actually you don't. You can check in with a debit card and/or with cash.

Yes, lots of us have credit cards. However, the theme on the Budget Board is that "credit cards are EVIL" IMHO, credit cards are pieces of plastic. They are not live and therefore cannot be evil. Credit card companies are not the ones charging on our cards, WE are....

I have credit cards and use them. But I know that on here I am considered quite the "rebel" LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter