Anyone ever had this happen?

tinkerbellybutton

DIS Veteran
We are booked at Hard Rock Hotel for 3 nights using a military discount. As the military goes, something came up and we will have to leave a day later than planned thus we need to cancel the first night at HRH.

When I called to cancel the first night today I was told that in order to cancel a night I have to cancel the entire reservation, then rebook a new reservation and the military discount is no longer available because when they "reached their limit on the number of military discounts for my time frame they closed that discount". So now two nights will basically cost me the same that the three nights would have. It just doesn't seem right to do this to guests. I have the discount as of now, why can't they cancel the one night and leave the other two nights alone????? And its not a matter of a 3 night minimum stay to get the discount. They have clearly explained that the discount is no longer available during my dates as the reason I can't get it.

We have traveled all over the country and I have to cancel, change dates, add dates all the time because it seems something always comes up with the military when we are supposed to travel. I have never had this issue at any other hotel or resort. In past experience I've been able to cancel the one night without having to cancel the whole thing and rebook, thus loosing any discount we might have.

I would totally understand if I wanted to completely change my dates, or even if I wanted to push the entire reservation back a night or two. Then I'd understand that those NEW nights I wanted might not be available with the discount, but I don't understand why I can't keep the two nights I want, that I already have booked as is??????

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yup, that is how their computer system works. Very stupid, I agree.

You can try emailing the resort directly and perhaps they can do it by hand. It is worth a try. You should be able to find the manager's email address online somewhere.

I didn't try to contact the resort directly, didn't know you could do that. I'll have to try and search for some info online I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe you can call and ask to speak to a supervisor. I had a similar issue with my rate when I wanted to add a night to my reservation. The supervisor was able to get it straightened out for me. Good luck!

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I called the resort directly, asked to speak to the hotel manager and got it worked out. I was able to cancel the night we can't get there and keep the other two nights at the military rates. I hope our trip goes well. I was on the verge of cancelling the reservation and just sticking with our usual WDW trips from now on. Hopefully we have a fantastic time and continue including Universal on our WDW trips. Thanks again.

That's great. It is an unfortunate computer system that they use. I really wish they would change it as it creates a lot of unnecessary worry. The hotel does try to help though as they contacted me when I emailed them with the exact same problem (although it wasn't a military rate). In my case some rooms with the same rate opened up the next day and there wasn't an issue and I didn't need their help after all. I don't think they are out to screw anyone over, it is just the computer reservation system that they use.

op, glad it worked out for you!

i usually talk to the supervisor on the phone in the ressie department.

sometimes i have called the hotel direct to fix things.

i have learned that the hotels will work with the future guests and go the extra mile.

nice you have a happy ending to this issue.

and, many thanks to your soldier for serving our country.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I called the resort directly, asked to speak to the hotel manager and got it worked out. I was able to cancel the night we can't get there and keep the other two nights at the military rates. I hope our trip goes well. I was on the verge of cancelling the reservation and just sticking with our usual WDW trips from now on. Hopefully we have a fantastic time and continue including Universal on our WDW trips. Thanks again.

I'm so glad that this worked out for you. I'm sure you'll love the HRH. I've stayed there a few times in the past, and it's a terrific resort in a terrific spot.

Also, I'd like to say thank you to you, or whoever else in your party serves in the military. We are very fortunate to have such hard working individuals keeping us safe. :worship:

Also, I'd like to say thank you to you, or whoever else in your party serves in the military. We are very fortunate to have such hard working individuals keeping us safe. :worship:

You are very welcome! Its my husband who is in the military and he'd likely tell you "its just my job". Thank you, and the others that have thanked me for our service. It really does mean a lot to our family to know there are so many people out there who appreciate what he does!

That is great! Enjoy your trip!

I have to say that with just about any hotel chain, you get better customer service when calling the hotel directly. We just had an issue with Embassy Suites in DC which could only be resolved when we called the hotel itself. I'm glad the hotel was able to adjust your reservation for you. Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter