• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever done this?

mphillips76

Mouseketeer
DH and I don't pay checked bag fees on our airline...last time we went to WDW we were paying OUTRAGEOUS prices for beer at the resort sundries shop. Anyone ever try checking a case of beer and having ME pick it up and deliver it to your room with your bags? It seems like the airlines are ok with it...it doesn't break FAA rules. Anyone else try it? We were ok grocery and snack-wise with what we packed last time so I would hate to have to pay for delivery if I could get the beer there for free!!

Not sure I would even try it. Once you try and open the cans they are going to spray like crazy from bouncing around so much. Not too mention if they lose pressure in the storage area of the plane. One heck of a mess.

Stop at Winn Dixie on 435 before going to the resort and pick up a case. That's what we do! Besides it will be cold.

Stop at Winn Dixie on 435 before going to the resort and pick up a case. That's what we do! Besides it will be cold.

Hmm was hoping to not have to rent a car though. If we use ME there is no way to stop. And since we don't need groceries, only beer, how much do they charge to deliver that? It will probably still be pretty expensive I'm thinking.

I've heard people say they take a taxi to the Hess gas station near downtown disney to get beer.

I've heard people say they take a taxi to the Hess gas station near downtown disney to get beer.

You think that is walking distance from SSR? DH and I don't mind walking, esp if they are open at night and we can throw the kids in the stroller.

You think that is walking distance from SSR? DH and I don't mind walking, esp if they are open at night and we can throw the kids in the stroller.
Sure it is walking distance. It is right across from the big World of Disney store at DTD. Beer might be a little heavy to carry, so maybe you could put the beer in the stroller and have one of the kiddies walk?

Sure it is walking distance. It is right across from the big World of Disney store at DTD. Beer might be a little heavy to carry, so maybe you could put the beer in the stroller and have one of the kiddies walk?

Sweet! Good to know. We don't mind walking...we stayed at a cabin in FW last and were fine with walking back and forth to the boat launch from our cabin.

If you have a roller suitcase, you can use that for your beer purchase. I've seen it done at the BW by people buying at the Hess station nearby.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I once saw a couple retrieve a very bad looking case of beer from a baggage carousel at O'Hare. It was bottled beer, and although it had been carefully packaged with bubble wrap and another layer of clear plastic, it was a mess. I wouldn't recommend trying it, even with cans.

I once saw a couple retrieve a very bad looking case of beer from a baggage carousel at O'Hare. It was bottled beer, and although it had been carefully packaged with bubble wrap and another layer of clear plastic, it was a mess. I wouldn't recommend trying it, even with cans.
Ditto. Our son (over 21) attempted to bring back a case of a microbrew beer he enjoyed in Alaska. He knew it wouldn't be available in Louisiana and he wanted to share it with some friends. Even with individually wrapping each bottle in bubble wrap, he ended up with a soggy case of crushed glass by the time we arrived home.

If you have a roller suitcase, you can use that for your beer purchase. I've seen it done at the BW by people buying at the Hess station nearby.

Bobbi:goodvibes

That was probably DH. :rotfl:

We have done it both ways walking to Hess and ordering. Now we just call garden grocer and put an order in. I believe it was $12 delivery fee plus tip. I live in MA and don't find their prices that high at all.

Have fun!! Have one for me and DH!!!

Thanks for all the useful info! I thought delivery would cost a lot more than $12 plus tip...totally worth that. And I will check out that other link. Thanks!!

This was many years ago but when I was 18 and went to Florida for spring break we put cases of beer in our suticases - just have to watch weight limit. We each brought 2 suitcases and got 1.5 cases and clothes in each one. If I remember correctly it all worked out ok, they now have the plastic bottles for beer if that strikes your fancy.

We either order groceries from garden grocer or rent a car and go. But I did do the taxi thing once and that was a pain.

I do it all the time :cool1: Never had a problem. In fact, I do it with sodas too...pack the 12oz plastic bottles. I used to take plastic bottles of Mikes Hard Lemonade too. Of course you can't open them right away, but who would want to...they're warm!! We put the drinks in the frig, go out to the parks for the day, then have a cold beverage when we get back:banana:
I never pack anything else in that suitcase as a precaution, but seriously, I've been doing it for years on our trips to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter