• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever do an DIY inground/onground pool install? +++

Northernlites

Mouseketeer
We are thinking about doing an onground install of a 14 x 28 swimming pool. We would be contracting the excavating part out and doing the rest ourselves. Has anyone done this with success? Would you recommended this type of job or leave it to the pros? If you did one what pool kit manufacturer did you use? Any suggestions for making this job work?

I have been looking online at onground kits, they run around 5 to 6 thousand dollars, excavating is around 5 thousand, quotes I have been getting from pool installers for start to finish are around $ 23,000 before tax.

Thoughts?

Onground pools are semi in ground. Usually sitting 30 inches on ground with a maximum depth of 5 feet

I would first check with your insurance company. You will have to have the pool added to your policy and depending on who your with, they may tell you if you can DIY it or not for coverage. Unless you know exactly what you're doing (especially with all the electrical) I would not DIY a pool like that.

Does the $23,000 include concrete work? That might be a better deal than it first appears if it does. By the time you add concrete, you could be into your DIY project to the tune of $18-20,000.

Also consider resale. I know houses I looked at with pools in the past would often tell who installed the pool. I would be leery of buying a house with a pool from a kit.

At that price point, I would start looking into a gunite pool. We acted as contractors for our inground pool and spent about $32k (rock waterfall, Baja shelf, 38'x18' free form).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter