Anyone else's kids refusing state tests?

For a few years I taught next to a 25+ year kindergarten teacher...AMAZING woman, whose former students (middle and high schoolers, adults) would come back just to see her. Her classroom was creative, she had fun activities that helped the kids use their imagination....everything from a leprechaun in the classroom (footprints and glitter all over, green toilet water ::yes:::lmao:), to a performance of nursery rhymes in which every student had the opportunity to speak in front of a large crowd (SUPER confidence builder), to just the best pre-reading and learning activities. By the end of the year, her classes were always full of school-loving, musical, creative, energetic, well-rounded kids. She had centers that helped the kids develop the basic skills (sharing, taking turns, fairness, the golden rule, imagination) that made them successful people. I fear that we are getting so far away from this, that our little people are going to suffer. :(

Thankful this is what my son will be getting in K next year. Parochial, small school here. The constant testing is annoying. I see my mom, who teaches 2nd in a very low-performing district. It's too much for the kids. And, to be honest, 95% of the parents don't understand testing/know they even do it. So unless the teachers raise concern (and face reprocussions), it won't change.

As for state testing, it's never been a blip on my radar. My kids do well with it and it's not a source of stress for them. Their teachers don't teach to the test and they spend very little time prepping for it. They actually have state tests next week and they will all be taking them.

I agree. I'm in NJ and have never minded the NJASK.

I don't feel like the teachers teach to the test. I feel like if the teachers teach what they're supposed to teach and the kids learn what they're supposed to learn, they'll do fine.
In elementary school, the school had test prep twice a week after school for an hour, starting at the end of January until the tests in May. In middle school they have nothing.
I took the California Achievement Tests (I grew up in NJ) every year when I was a kid. Standardized tests have always been a part of school as far as I knew, so I expected my kids to take them.

My kids don't stress about them. It's 3 or 4 days an hour or so a day in the morning. Big deal.
It is part of the rubric used to determine placement in honors classes starting middle school. But other than that, has no bearing on your academic career.

In NJ, they do break down the sections and how well you did on each. For example there will be a note that there were 14 questions on geometry and how many of the 14 you got correct.

The ONLY reason I have an issue with the state testing is this: We used to get the last full week of April as Spring Break, no matter when Easter was. It was better weather if you were staying home, and since usually Easter didn't fall on either side of it, when you went away, it was cheaper and less crowded.
Now since NJASK is the beginning of May, they prefer not to have Spring break right before it, so they've moved it to coincide with Easter.

Agreed! Texas has had this testing climate for years now. As a teacher, I realize that it is a stress and struggle for many students but really it is a test of minimum standards. An average student should pass easily with no prep and an above average student will ace them. By middle and high school here, students in advanced classes do not spend any time on test prep or review They simply take the test on the appointed day. Those students in Pre AP and AP courses will report that the tests are ridiculously easy.

If a student struggles with the tests, you should be concerned with their progress.

As a teacher, I do not "teach to the test." I teach the curriculum for the grade level. Those students who are succeeding with grade level work will have no trouble passing.

This. I agree.

The tests are testing what should be known by children in that grade. Of course the teacher is teaching to the test, the test is testing what they should be teaching! Saying they can't be creative teaching what is on the test is crazy, of course they can.

How else should the school know if a child is ready to move on or to graduate? We tried it for years with no testing and it led to kids graduating that can barely read or do basic math. It didn't work trusting the schools and the teachers to grade appropriately and not just pass for attendance. If there had been better checks in balances by the teachers and schools it wouldn't have had to come to this.

To whomever compared standardized testing to an adult "opting out" of something they don't want to do at work...

You are an adult. You choose to work, choose your job, and make money.

Children are not in that category. They do not choose to spend hours each week taking standardized tests that are developmentally inappropriate, and entire classes of 5 and 6 year olds do not benefit from teachers spending multiple hours testing individually. What do you think the rest of the kids are doing all that time? Watching a video, color sheets, other unsupervised garbage? There is no need for that much testing in kindergarten. :worried:

For a few years I taught next to a 25+ year kindergarten teacher...AMAZING woman, whose former students (middle and high schoolers, adults) would come back just to see her. Her classroom was creative, she had fun activities that helped the kids use their imagination....everything from a leprechaun in the classroom (footprints and glitter all over, green toilet water ::yes:::lmao:), to a performance of nursery rhymes in which every student had the opportunity to speak in front of a large crowd (SUPER confidence builder), to just the best pre-reading and learning activities. By the end of the year, her classes were always full of school-loving, musical, creative, energetic, well-rounded kids. She had centers that helped the kids develop the basic skills (sharing, taking turns, fairness, the golden rule, imagination) that made them successful people. I fear that we are getting so far away from this, that our little people are going to suffer. :(

School is children's first experience with work. When they are young, their "work" is play. But, gradually, they must transition to the world of reality. School helps prepare them for that. I make no excuses for making my kids do what is required by the school. It might be silly, inane, stupid, mindless....whatever. An accredited teacher determined it was appropriate. If it's a standardized test, the local school district determined it was appropriate. I think a HUGE problem in our culture is parents deciding to substitute their judgment for everything pertaining to their snowflakes. We're raising a generation which thinks it can opt out of anything they want. It doesn't work that way in the real world, and the sooner they accept that reality, the better.

To whomever compared standardized testing to an adult "opting out" of something they don't want to do at work...

You are an adult. You choose to work, choose your job, and make money.

Children are not in that category. They do not choose to spend hours each week taking standardized tests that are developmentally inappropriate, and entire classes of 5 and 6 year olds do not benefit from teachers spending multiple hours testing individually. What do you think the rest of the kids are doing all that time? Watching a video, color sheets, other unsupervised garbage? There is no need for that much testing in kindergarten. :worried:

Great post. Thank you!

mnrose said:
School is children's first experience with work. When they are young, their "work" is play. But, gradually, they must transition to the world of reality. School helps prepare them for that. I make no excuses for making my kids do what is required by the school. It might be silly, inane, stupid, mindless....whatever. An accredited teacher determined it was appropriate. If it's a standardized test, the local school district determined it was appropriate. I think a HUGE problem in our culture is parents deciding to substitute their judgment for everything pertaining to their snowflakes. We're raising a generation which thinks it can opt out of anything they want. It doesn't work that way in the real world, and the sooner they accept that reality, the better.

Amen. Amen. Amen.

It must be nice to be allowed to refuse to take it. I work in a school in Florida and if the students do not take the FCAT test or if they do poorly on it, they fail the grade and are held back. This has caused so many students to be stressed and depressed and most of them eventually just drop out. I find the whole concept of the test to be completely and utterly ridiculous.
I remember taking that. It was so stupid and a majority of kids slept through the tests. I took it seriously so I wouldn't get put in lower English or math. I hated taking it because it messed up all the weeks lesson plans. It was great when I was a senior and didn't have to come in those days though!

:worship::worship::worship:::yes:::thumbsup2
You my friend are my new hero!!! I could not have said this better myself! Funny how so many parents who don't have any sort of degree in education think they know better then the men and women who dedicate their lives to the education system and actually have the information and data to back up their decisions.

You know sometimes those "accredited" teachers and members of the school board are idiots and don't know what they are doing. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you always make intelligent decisions ;)
I do agree with you though, I don't think teaching kids to opt out is the right way to make a stand against the tests.
I don't put any additional stress on my kids about the tests, but they know they have to take them. If it doesn't effect their grade I don't see the big deal about letting them take it, and FTR 2 of my kids have scored 2 on the Math one in the past and one of my kids had to take mandatory intervention service for that. My other kid didn't because so many kids scored a 2 that they let those who were closer to 3 skip it. That tells me these "educators" don't know what they are doing and just changing the rules as they go. Its all a mess, and IMO opting out isn't going to change that.

I don't have a problem with standardized tests in general. My issue is whith how many of them my kids have to take. We just moved from WI and our district there made a huge deal of the state tests. Certain tests were only given to the 3,4, and 5th graders and so the K-2 students were not even allowed to come to school on those days until after the tests were finished. The school wanted the K-2 teachers supervising the older kids and making sure they stayed on task and finished their tests, and they were worried the younger kids would cause too much of a distraction. I thought that was ridiculous, and it certainly upped the stress level for the kids.

We moved to Florida a month ago, and they don't use any of the same tests, so none of the tests my kids have taken count toward any placements here at all. And now we have the FCAT. My 4th grader, for whom school is very easy, came home and told us that he had to do perfect on his FCAT, because his teachers grade and salary and the schools grade and the amount of money the district gets depended on the kids scores. I was horrified. Again, I don't mind him taking the test, but for a teacher to tell that to the kids is not appropriate, in my opinion. Not to mention that they practiced their writing so much, that for 2 weeks before the test they did not do math even ONCE and the only homework he had was writing test prep. Again, I don't mind testing in general but I did not like how this was handled.

My DD, who does ok in school, pretty average academically, gets very very nervous when taking tests, and has now been told that if she doesn't pass her FCAT she will be held back. She's in 3rd grade and she is petrified, and cries every night when we are doing her FCAT reading prep homework. How do I help her stay calm when she thinks they are going to hold her back? When she gets too nervous she just completely freezes up - which won't be good on a standardized test.

I think testing kids is good, I think the pressure put on the kids is unfair.

I agree. I'm in NJ and have never minded the NJASK.

I don't feel like the teachers teach to the test. I feel like if the teachers teach what they're supposed to teach and the kids learn what they're supposed to learn, they'll do fine.
In elementary school, the school had test prep twice a week after school for an hour, starting at the end of January until the tests in May. In middle school they have nothing.
I took the California Achievement Tests (I grew up in NJ) every year when I was a kid. Standardized tests have always been a part of school as far as I knew, so I expected my kids to take them.

My kids don't stress about them. It's 3 or 4 days an hour or so a day in the morning. Big deal.
It is part of the rubric used to determine placement in honors classes starting middle school. But other than that, has no bearing on your academic career.

In NJ, they do break down the sections and how well you did on each. For example there will be a note that there were 14 questions on geometry and how many of the 14 you got correct.

The ONLY reason I have an issue with the state testing is this: We used to get the last full week of April as Spring Break, no matter when Easter was. It was better weather if you were staying home, and since usually Easter didn't fall on either side of it, when you went away, it was cheaper and less crowded.
Now since NJASK is the beginning of May, they prefer not to have Spring break right before it, so they've moved it to coincide with Easter.

We're in NJ as well and don't mind the testing. I told dd the first time she took standardized testing, and every year, since that it's purpose was to see how well teachers were teaching, she was learning and her school compared to others in the state and perhaps nationally. It's worked since the beginning. She's never been stressed about them.

With the exception of the high school standardized tests needed for graduation (biology and general proficiency) none count towards placement or grades. That of course makes a huge difference in how a kid might feel about them.

that is pretty much perfect :worship:

I have been teaching for 22 years. Each year I hear more and more parents are making noise about THE TEST. None of those parents have children who score 3s or 4s on the state exams.

My daughter received 4s. She WILL NOT be taking the exams this year. She was a wreck during those days. I don't like the way the CURRICULUM has begun to focus solely on the tests rather than how the children are actually doing in class. Too many times the kids are being pushed through the subject matter more quickly than they can master it because the teachers HAVE to cover certain things by a certain date for the tests. Enough is enough. By enough people refusing to have their children take these tests, perhaps the state will reevaluate the curriculum and how it is implemented.

And those of you who say it won't make a difference...you're right...if we do nothing, that is.

My daughter received 4s. She WILL NOT be taking the exams this year. She was a wreck during those days. I don't like the way the CURRICULUM has begun to focus solely on the tests rather than how the children are actually doing in class. Too many times the kids are being pushed through the subject matter more quickly than they can master it because the teachers HAVE to cover certain things by a certain date for the tests. Enough is enough. By enough people refusing to have their children take these tests, perhaps the state will reevaluate the curriculum and how it is implemented.

And those of you who say it won't make a difference...you're right...if we do nothing, that is.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Tell it! :thumbsup2

Who has a job where they get to choose everything they want or don't want to do? Kids need to be prepared for the fact that some things they will have to do suck. They will not want to do them. The things may be boring and stupid.

However, we have to do what is required if we like it or not.

Some of you seem to think this is just a "I don't want to do this so I get to opt out" type of thing. You couldn't be further from the truth. Of course kid must do what is required if them in school. Teachers create tests all the time that students must take. Not optional. High stakes testing IS NOT REQUIRED and does not benefit the children or the teacher in any way. It benefits the pockets of large testing corporations and drains much needed funds from the districts who use their products.

It is the parents taking a stand against high stakes testing, large corporations and testing created by people who not educators. We are doing it for our own child and all children in the hope that these specific types Of inappropriate tests come to an end.

Our kids are learning that it important to take a stand when you believe something is harmful- harmful not just for our own Children but to ALL children and education in general.

Some of you seem to think this is just a "I don't want to do this so I get to opt out" type of thing. You couldn't be further from the truth. Of course kid must do what is required if them in school. Teachers create tests all the time that students must take. Not optional. High stakes testing IS NOT REQUIRED and does not benefit the children or the teacher in any way. It benefits the pockets of large testing corporations and drains much needed funds from the districts who use their products.

It is the parents taking a stand against high stakes testing, large corporations and testing created by people who not educators. We are doing it for our own child and all children in the hope that these specific types Of inappropriate tests come to an end.

Our kids are learning that it important to take a stand when you believe something is harmful- harmful not just for our own Children but to ALL children and education in general

Exactly- I always tell my daughter I don't want her to be a sheeple- Don't just follow along because someone says you have to- think for yourself, see that some things are not right and fight for what you believe in. We have rules at work that we get changed if we feel they are not right, same goes for school!

I remember taking the CATs as a kid and it wasn't a big deal at all. BUT, we only had to take that one test, one day, once a year. The opinions vary state to state, I believe, because of how differently each state tests. In New York, at least, the children are being over tested. This is an opinion shared by many teachers here, not just "parents deciding to substitute their judgment for everything pertaining to their snowflakes."

I am a teacher and have the luxury of teaching in a small, rural school district. Most of my students enter the school year reading between the 6th-10th grade level. (I teach 8th grade ELA-R). Because my students generally do very well on the test, I am under very little scrutiny from district administration. I write much of my own curriculum and we read a variety of novels during the year. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Wonder, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Tom Sawyer, and Treasure Island (hopefully) are all on my novel list this year. We have a wonderful time and the students really grow as readers. I do need to acknowledge my district allows me to have a two class block, so I get double time with my students each day, which allows us to read more and still fit in all the other standards.

However, when I was in graduate school, a friend from the city district asked me what novel we read. I rattled off my list and she told me she wasn't allowed to read a novel before the test (in April!) but they squeeze one in after the test. I asked what they read all year and she said test passages as dictated by curriculum director. I wanted to die. Her district is low performing and her students come in reading below grade level and that's how they catch them up. I can't imagine. One of our testing review booklets was looking at expository texts and my class had to read three pages of an exercise bike manual. It was awful, and we wonder why our kids don't have a love of reading.

My daughter attends a private school we can just barely afford, in some part due to testing. Not so much the actual test, but the time spent reading things like exercise bike manuals to prepare! I don't blame the teachers, as I'm in the same boat, but it's nice to have her in a private school setting where testing doesn't rule everything.

Our kids are learning that it important to take a stand when you believe something is harmful- harmful not just for our own Children but to ALL children and education in general.
These tests are only "high stakes" if the school and/or the parents or the kids make it so. I see it similar to a parent or child thinking they have to win in every game they play. Should we eliminate sports because some folks put "high stakes" on things that really aren't that important?

Standardized testing is nothing new. I remember taking state tests in middle & high school 25+ years ago. If you want to eliminate (or at least) cut down on the pressure people (school & family) are putting on these kids for these tests, I can get behind that.

There will be legitimate "high stakes" tests throughout school. The finals & mid terms kids have to take to show they've learned the required subject matter in order to pass the class. The ACT/SATs that will have a direct correlation to their colleges of choice.

Has your child's teacher put pressure on them to do well on a test? If so, have you talked to the teacher about it? Have you talked to the principal? The school board? THAT'S the issue to me. Not the testing, but the pressure. But at the same time, not every teacher or school system is putting this pressure on.

Many years ago, teachers weren't really held accountable for what they were teaching. Kids were graduating HS without the ability to read or write. These tests are a good way (IMO) to ensure students (as a body, not an individual) ARE learning what they need.

And yes, I do compare what I'm reading in this thread to "required" duties at work that I think are silly and unnecessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter