Anyone else worried about Mission Space?

mindync

Mouseketeer
I know this is the slow time of year but Mission Space never had over a 5 minute wait last week. Actually, that must include your preshow time because we always walked right on to the next door opening. I love the green side...never been brave enough for the the orange side. But DH and I are wondering what is going to happen if MS remains so overlooked. Ideas? Anyone else concerned?

Also, Journey into Imagination was SAD with all the walls inside. There is very very little left to do now.

Disney-Please please please get a new sponsor or just finance something yourselves. This used to be such a fun attraction.

So what exactly is closed down at Journey? All of the interactive areas? My kids LOVE the big area with the instruments projected on the floor... the part with the computers where you turn yourself into an animal were ALL broken when we were there though.

When we were there in April last year the wait was over an hour for the "scary" side. I think it may have just been luck that you had a short line! We actually waited longer for MS than for Soarin'! It was every bit worth the wait, although my husband and son went a second time while I sipped a "Red Planet" alcoholic drink in the smoking area. I don't think I could do the "scary" side again as I have a fear of heights and flying and it was too realistic for me :)

Wait times are generally measured from the entrance to before the pre-show. In the case of M:S, I think that is just to the merge point at the podium before the hallway to where they actually divide you up.

However, the system doesn't register a wait time less than 5 minutes in general.

I have seen short waits for the Orange Side at non-peak times - typically 5-20 minutes - in the last 2 years. I don't know if people avoid it because of motion sickness, the deaths, or what - but it definitely is not getting the patronage of other attractions. Then again, everyone else is probably stuck in line at Soarin' and TT... :)

As for Journey, Kodak has exited as sponsor so they have walled off the stuff that was directly Kodak related. Some of the exhibits were to remain open, but I haven't seen the state of it lately.

So how intense is the green side of Mission Space. I rode Star Tours last year at Disneyland and hated it. Is Mission Space comprable to Star Tours?

So how intense is the green side of Mission Space. I rode Star Tours last year at Disneyland and hated it. Is Mission Space comprable to Star Tours?

It's a completely different ride system, so it really isn't comparable.

The green side is not intense at all. The intensity is provided by a centrifuge effect from spinning the cabin, simulating the g-forces from thrust. The green side doesn't spin.

The cabin does tilt back and forth and left and right, to still get some sense of the motion.

You are also in a very confined space - claustrophobes should be no where near this attraction. Star Tours you are still in a moderately sized cabin.

I've never been there and only had a 5 minute wait.
Have not went since last year but I don't see it going anywhere.

I think Disney invested a ton in this attraction so I can’t imagine they‘d pull it anytime soon. I hope not, I really like it.

I'm a good rider, I've done ToT and RnR 3 or 4 times in a row (both rides), but one time on MS on the fast side left me disoriented for a couple of hours. Never again. I did do the slow side when it came out without a problem.

Mission Space is the ride that made me sicker than any other ride. Did both sides, and the intense one is definitely intense.

You guys complaining about M:S should have tried it out during the soft openings years ago. People were falling all over themselves (and each other) when they got out!

My understanding is that even the "intense" side has been toned down a few times since then. I know I don't feel it nearly as much now as I did when I first rode it way back when...

I rode the less intense version once just to see how it was and it made me feel sick. Like sea sick. I always felt fine on the normal intense one. I asked a few other CMs and they said it was the same way for them.

I rode the less intense last fall on a brief day visit brought to us by my seasonal CM cousin. The green side was so that we would all ride, but I knew if it were just me I'd ride the more intense orange side.

So I did that a couple weeks ago, and I'm thinking it's not as much more intense as I thought it might be. I didn't feel the spinning effect that they say is in there. It's certainly not an obvious spin thing to me (the most obvious spin being something like Mad Tea Party, hehe). More Gs in the blastoff, I guess that's the result of spinning. The rest of the elements seem to be identical, so I was kinda :confused3 what's the difference?

The barf bags in the orange side was a nice touch though. ;) (Maybe they're in the green side too, but I don't remember them.)

First, let me say, I am not at all prone to motion sickness. Just lucky, I guess.

I've never been on the Green side - only the Orange, though never more than once per trip.

The first time I rode it - about 6 years ago - I got a little uncomfortable by the end. The G's on take-off (the actual spinning) didn't bother me so much, but the bumpy part at the end did. Though I'm fairly sure it wouldn't have bothered me at all if I hadn't been through the spinning part.

I've been on it 2 or 3 times since then, and I've never been bothered by it at all. So either I just wasn't myself that first time, or - like a PP said - they've toned it down a little bit. :confused3

Or maybe I'm just better at following the directions :teacher: (sitting back in the seat, gluing your eyes to the screen in front of you, not moving your head). :thumbsup2

I know this is the slow time of year but Mission Space never had over a 5 minute wait last week. But DH and I are wondering what is going to happen if MS remains so overlooked. Ideas? Anyone else concerned?

Not concerned at all about the fate of MS. You said yourself this is the slow time of year. Seeing short lines here and there for a couple days is hardly evidence that the ride has fallen out of favor and may be replaced.

If only they could bring back a modernized Horizons instead - you know, a ride that didn't suck. We have the luxury of avoiding the entire left side of FW now - Ellen is too long and boring for the most part, and the other two cause us motion sickness. Leaves more time for Soarin', I guess. :)

I have never even seen a long wait for the green side during the summer months. Compared to theorange side, the green side is very boring.

I always ride mission space....and always ride orange, but only once....and propbably only then to keep telling myself that im a manly-man LOL. This ride ALWAYS leaves me thinking "another 15 seconds and they would have had to clean out the ride!". Makes me VERY motion sick, and I only feel like that on this ride.
But crazily enough I do like the ride.....and I feel bad only for a minute or so after the ride.....good luck to you and yours

Darby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter