Anyone Else Upset About Disney Hotel Rate Changes? What Would Walt Have Done?

As far as all the different room catagories. I think we have the "guest" to blame for that one. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen an angry family at check in complaining loudly because they didn't get their request. Now if you really want a certain view, a type of room, a certain location, or a themed room you can book it and pay for it, rather than request it and hope and pray you get it. I have a feeling guests were putting in lots of requests and the front desk CMs were having to deal with angry, disappointed guests so often that they've decided to turn some of these into bookable catagories that will cost more than a standard room, but at least the guest can't complain that they didn't get the water view room they were hoping for since they didn't book and pay for it. I for one don't mind paying more to guarantee I get what I want. I much prefer pay more a night and know that I will get what I want, rather than request it and wait on pins and needles at check in hoping we get it. And if I don't want to pay the additional charges for these options then I have no problem booking a standard room either.

Halleluyah! That's been one that used to be a HUGE complaint here on the boards.

"I requested (specific request) and they put us in (NOT specific request).. I'm FURIOUS!"

Well.. under the new scheme, you want something, you book it and pay for it and presuming nobody screws up, you'll get it.

That seems like responding to the guests' needs and desires...

And for those traveling on a budget, you don't have to worry about views and such ... you can still get a decent clean room at a Disney resort for a reasonable rate.

Disney rates may be out of whack for Orlando or some other areas.. but I'm paying $300 / night for a hotel for an upcoming convention and ... to my mind, it's just a standard hotel room, no view, no overlooking the pool and I will NOT be at Disney... or even Vegas!

So.. that's probably what I'll be doing the whole time I'm there .. thinking "If I had spent this much at Disney I'd be getting X/Y/Z. ... " -- LOL :rotfl:

"But in the end, it comes down to this.
Is what I pay for a WDW vacation worth the money to me?
Is the value-for-money ratio there?
If it is, I'll continue to go.
If not, I'll vacation elsewhere."

That is where - me - The OP Stands...

To Disney or Not...

If, Disney still had the same resort policies as in the past, it would be a "No Brainer" - We would be there for my DW 50th Bday...With Family,
Re-Creating "The Magic" of Past Vacations...Re-Visiting Favorites and Exploring New Attractions..

But, now I will compare value-for-money...

And Disney may lose out to Mexico, or the DR, or another Cruise.

We may be back in late 2012 or we may vote with our feet...

Thank you all for your input & opinions.

PS - I certainly hope Disney monitors these boards...

I haven't read all the replies so I may be repeating what's already been said.

We've been traveling with our kids since they were born. Over the past 12 years Disney had pretty much been the only destination that did the "pay the same rate as the rate at check in for your entire stay". Every where else we've traveled we've always paid more for weekend nights and holidays. I've always thought it was just a matter of time before Disney did the same, so no surprise there for me.

As far as all the different room catagories. I think we have the "guest" to blame for that one. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen an angry family at check in complaining loudly because they didn't get their request. Now if you really want a certain view, a type of room, a certain location, or a themed room you can book it and pay for it, rather than request it and hope and pray you get it. I have a feeling guests were putting in lots of requests and the front desk CMs were having to deal with angry, disappointed guests so often that they've decided to turn some of these into bookable catagories that will cost more than a standard room, but at least the guest can't complain that they didn't get the water view room they were hoping for since they didn't book and pay for it. I for one don't mind paying more to guarantee I get what I want. I much prefer pay more a night and know that I will get what I want, rather than request it and wait on pins and needles at check in hoping we get it. And if I don't want to pay the additional charges for these options then I have no problem booking a standard room either.

I too have witnessed the outrage, both here and at the front desk. I even overheard a guest tell a CM, when they were told there was not other room to move them to, that they expected the CM to give them someone else's room because they were there first and should be entitled to the room.

So, as you mention, rooms that are preferred and requested, are now being categorized. I guess it can be true---be careful what you wish for...

I think it is very complex looking at all of the different dates and prices. I agree they could simplify.

When DH and I went on our honeymoon, we had to pay for Magical Express. That was back in 2004.

Disney is just doing what they need to do in order to remain profitable. and let's face it, they wouldn't be doing this if they knew that they couldn't get away with it!

What really burns me sometimes on these threads is the sense of entitlement that some people have in here, as if any Disney policy that they don't agree with has to be immediately rescinded or it's seen as a personal affront. I've been a lifelong Disney freak, and prior to these past three years where I've gone every year, it had been twenty years between visits. The main reason for such a long break was simple....we couldn't afford it. However, I didn't blame Disney for such exorbitant rates, it was just a fact of life.

My return to WDW three years ago with my then girlfriend (now wife) was made all the more sweeter because of the fact that I was able to afford it. It really made me appreciate WDW and all of the memories again. Now, we are DVC members and I can honestly say I'm proud of the fact that I'm able to bring my whole family down to WDW without having to break the bank and to watch my parents be kids all over again without having to worry about how much the vacation was going to cost.

Sorry, don't mean to flame and I am certainly not attacking anyone in particular. I know the boards are a place to discuss all things Disney, both good and bad. I just can't help but think that the people who complain on these boards are probably the same people who hold up the check-in line at the hotel because they didn't get a towel animal when they got to their room.

What really burns me sometimes on these threads is the sense of entitlement that some people have in here, as if any Disney policy that they don't agree with has to be immediately rescinded or it's seen as a personal affront.
/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Some people take things way to personally. And they seem to forget a trip to WDW is a luxury. And that Disney is a business, and they owe it to no one to make a trip to their parks "affordable". That is so subjective anyway as to be near nonsense. For some people a lagoon view stay at the Poly is an affordable trip. For another a standard room at the Music may be all that they can afford. What is affordable is a personal decision, and I certainlly don't put it on any business to make it so I can buy whatever it is they are selling.

OP--No one here can even guess what Walt would have done. One thing for sure is he ran Disney as a business. He didn't let people in for free and give away food and souvineers. It is time to let the poor man rest in peace, and refrain from brininging up his name whenever the Disney company makes a decision we don't like. It is pointless to do so.

My family and I go to Disney World each year and stay onsite. We always begin planning next years trip when we return. This past trip, December 2011, we knew prices would be increased. Just for comparison we built a package at the end of 2011, then built the same package in January 2012, then rebuilt the package just a few days ago, February 2012. I expected the price to go up from 2011, but COME ON....Every time we rebuild the same package, the total KEEPS INCREASING! We have dropped Disney this year and have opted for Universal instead!!!! Universal is offering some awesome prices on property! It saddened me at first, but now, I refuse to keep paying absurdly priced vacations (value for my money). There are too many other things to do in this WORLD!

My family and I go to Disney World each year and stay onsite. We always begin planning next years trip when we return. This past trip, December 2011, we knew prices would be increased. Just for comparison we built a package at the end of 2011, then built the same package in January 2012, then rebuilt the package just a few days ago, February 2012. I expected the price to go up from 2011, but COME ON....Every time we rebuild the same package, the total KEEPS INCREASING! We have dropped Disney this year and have opted for Universal instead!!!! Universal is offering some awesome prices on property! It saddened me at first, but now, I refuse to keep paying absurdly priced vacations (value for my money). There are too many other things to do in this WORLD!

Of course their rates keep going up, all their costs keep going up to. I don't like it either, but it is a fact of life. CMs get raises, the cost of food keeps increasing, as do utilities.

Don't forget to that they are redoing the majority of Fantasyland and rehabbing a ton of rides. How do you think they are going to pay for all of that? People constantly complain that stuff needs to be fixed up, yet no one wants to pay more in order for Disney to do it. It doesn't work that way.

Walt would have kept Disney profitable or gone out of business. Another point that people seem to overlook when they bring up corporate greed is this; most 401K plans, pension plans and IRA'S own stock in these companies and depend on their success. And if you believe that Disney is making a huge profit, which I do, you can own their stock, which I do, and benefit from their profits, which I do.

I want to make the comment that the MANY different categories are the direct result of actions and complaints by guests. Imagine that a resort has twenty standard view rooms and five of those look at the swimming pool. So then ten guests make reservations and ten of them ask for a pool view. When the five arrive who did not get the pool view, they will whine, cry, curse, and yell that they did not get what they paid for. They will then immediately demand compensation because the resort is trying to ruin their vacation. (Apply the above senario to King Bed, certain room decoration, proximity to the main building, or any other requests guests may have.) Therefore the powers that be decide that the Swimming Pool view is a seperate category that can be booked and charged seperately. So only five guests can reserve the pool view and the other five mentioned above will have to book another category. Disney is different from so many other resorts and chains because there are so many different things that guest will ask for or demand. New categories seem to pop up each year because of what guests ask for in their reservations.

Most hotels do charge more during high season, and less in off peak, and have weekend rates. So I'm not surprised WDW has done this.

But, I do think the WDW resort pricing is very inflated compared to a similar quality of room at other hotels. I've stayed at 4 star beachfront hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, for quite a bit less then what WDW charges for one of the Epcot resort standard rooms.

However, I choose to stay during value season, and resort choice is based on discounts. If there isn't a great discount I'll stay moderate, if I get a really good discount- 40% I'll stay deluxe. No way I'll pay rack rate.
If prices go up too much, there's always Swan/Dolphin or one of the DTD hotels.

Last Aug our first day we stayed at the DTD Doubletree, and got an amazing rate of $89/night which incl breakfast. It was a 1 bdrm suite and was huge. Wouldn't have a problem staying there again. This, for the same price as a value resort without so much as a coffee pot in it! Come on Disney!
We had a Cusinart pod coffee maker with Starbucks coffee, fridge and microwave. Plus a huge living room, 2 queens bedroom and huge bathroom & dressing area :thumbsup2 Did I mention free breakfast? :laughing:

It's not worth staying on site unless you see value in what that offers. We typically stay at the WL and for us it's a good value because we enjoy the view of Bay Lake, the boat rides, inside hallways, and the theming. Having said that we have been fortunate enough to get PIN codes, AP discounts, AAA discounts, upgrades, and GP discounts over years.

Of course their rates keep going up, all their costs keep going up to. I don't like it either, but it is a fact of life. CMs get raises, the cost of food keeps increasing, as do utilities.

Don't forget to that they are redoing the majority of Fantasyland and rehabbing a ton of rides. How do you think they are going to pay for all of that? People constantly complain that stuff needs to be fixed up, yet no one wants to pay more in order for Disney to do it. It doesn't work that way.

Yeah, I'm not logically challenged. I'm writing why I'M not going to pay it. Just like you have to reason to death everyone's comments, like we all don't have a clue as to what is going on at Disney World. I could care less what you think. That's why my initial comment was not riding on your coat tails. But, since you felt the need to educate me on how businesses work....have fun paying high prices for things completely justified, according to YOU! :)

Yeah, I'm not logically challenged. I'm writing why I'M not going to pay it. Just like you have to reason to death everyone's comments, like we all don't have a clue as to what is going on at Disney World. I could care less what you think. That's why my initial comment was not riding on your coat tails. But, since you felt the need to educate me on how businesses work....have fun paying high prices for things completely justified, according to YOU! :)

Oh, so you were complaining just to complain. And really don't care to hear about any of the improvements to the parks, or any of the reasons why Disney keeps raising ticket prices. They should just magically keep them low. Gotcha.

It has been Very Interesting...

I am sure there was a quote from Walt about the "Average American Family" and Affordability - Yes, it was about DisneyLand in Ca...

Oh Well, I think The Occupy Movement should move to Orlando...:)
And Occupy Disney...

On A Serious Note...
I have to re think our December 2012 Vacation Plans.
I and my Family would Love to return to Disney...
But, Not With These Changes...These "Nickel & Dime" Changes...

I have read on these Boards that Disney Monitors these comments...

Here is your Chance to let Disney Know you are Not Happy With these Changes...

OLT2004

Yea good luck with the whole "Occupy Disney" thing- it is private property not public. And who would be around afterwards to clean up the mess that they leave behind?

I kind of have to agree what most people are saying. Disney is a business and this is pretty standard. Rates change seasonally, rates change over weekends. It sucks but it's keeping up with the times!

I actually like the idea of paying for views. I have always wanted 60's at POP and in our 4 trips there we were assigned 80's, and 70's THREE TIMES. Even the preferred room category didn't get us close to the hippy dippy pool. Honestly, I am so sick of being stuck in the 70's buildings with no pool that IF we go back to POP we would absolutely pay for pool view. Clearly a lot of people had requested this and therefore Disney saw the benefit of creating the category. I'm all for it.

You are so right. Next time we stay at POP I will pay for the preferred pool view. Last time we paid for preferred and ended up in the 70' section 4th floor facing a parking lot, definitely not my idea of preferred.

Oh, so you were complaining just to complain. And really don't care to hear about any of the improvements to the parks, or any of the reasons why Disney keeps raising ticket prices. They should just magically keep them low. Gotcha.

I'm certain you only hear yourself talk...you should work for Disney's "think tank" and come up with some other reasons to justify the ridiculous items you feel have been created as "normal" reasons to increase prices. I am fully educated on what is being done at Disney, including all the projects. Back to the heart of the issue....people on this thread aren't complaining about normal inflation of stuff....it's the "newly creative" way to suck every penny out of the consumer's pocket book. I can tell you're a real joy to be around! Keep spreading the love...I'm moving on now...:love:

I'm certain you only hear yourself talk...you should work for Disney's "think tank" and come up with some other reasons to justify the ridiculous items you feel have been created as "normal" reasons to increase prices. I am fully educated on what is being done at Disney, including all the projects. Back to the heart of the issue....people on this thread aren't complaining about normal inflation of stuff....it's the "newly creative" way to suck every penny out of the consumer's pocket book. I can tell you're a real joy to be around! Keep spreading the love...I'm moving on now...:love:

Charging different rates for different dates is not a "newly creative" way for Disney to charge for their resorts, they have been doing it for years now. And other hotels do the same thing. But apparently you don't want to hear the facts or reason, you just want to believe Disney is a big bad entity. :sad2:

If you are not happy, vote with your feet, stay elsewhere or don't go.

Who knows what Walt would have done, he's been gone 45 years. He didn't build this huge empire by treating it as a charity. He was a businessman.

I think I know what Walt would have done.

At a quarterly meeting, he would have, after being told by his resort management team that average resort occupancy is 98%, asked his marketing and accounting team what might happen if, considering current occupancy, rates were raised by x%. They'd tell him that any adverse reaction from return visitors would be offset by the current marketing campaign, which is directed at first time visitors, and that any minor drop off in occupancy would be greatly offset by the increased revenues. Walt would then green light the price increase.

That's what Walt would do.

I believe Walt did not anticipate his vision to become an extended vacation for families.

My mom went to DL the first year it was open and spent a day. Same with WDW.... she spent one day in Orlando and slept at a hotel on the way home in another state. The phenomenom of DL and WDW being places to spend days upon days is relatively young and is only as feasible for guests if there is something to fill the days of extended vacations.

When I was a kid, we did WDW in 2 days (one perk per day) every few years... there was no need to do more. In the last 15 years, my stays have gone from 2 days to 5 every other year (if possible). This is the first time we are truly staying on property at WDW and only because we got a great discount. If we didn't have the rate, we'd just stay cheaper... not Disney's fault our funds are not champagne and caviar. I just am glad there are so many hotel options now so that there is something for anyone.... I remember when there were only the big 3 or 4 hotels and we never had a hope of staying there. Now, I can pick from several in my price range and several room options so I don't pay for what I don't need.

Maybe I am jaded because we lived in Hawaii for three years where anything related to tourism is like a reverse ATM. Hotels in Hawaii have so many different room choices with different mark-ups (ocean view, partial ocean, scenic, garden, standard, low-floor standard...), more seasons than you can imagine, and most charge for what would be considered basic amenities because they can. But, people come in droves because to them it's worth it.... just like Disney

I see nothing wrong with Disney's business model. The one major driving factor in tourism is supply/demand.... obviously the numbers work or Disney would change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter