• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else traveling soon to WDW with concerns about H1N1?

Every year's flu is different from the year before. That's why you need a new vaccine every year. This is a strain we haven't seen in a while, but it is not true that no one under 50 has an immunity. It was vaccinated for in a school campaign in the 70's so if you were of school age by 70 odds are you probably go the vac. That would mean that anyone under about 40 would not have an immunity. The numbers are showing a grater number of ped. deaths, but that is because there is a much higher incidence of infection in peds. If you look at the numbers as a per capita stat. (i.e. how manay deaths per 100 children infected) it is actually less than seasonal flu.

THANK YOU ! Finally someone stating facts and making sense instead of media hype and hysterics, and uninformed opinions. If it wasn't so sad I would laugh at all the posts on boards saying I'm not getting my kid that swine flue shot it is a new vaccine-yeah every year the flu shot is a new vaccine!!!!
There seems to be more kid deaths because more kids are catching it when with the re flu more elderly seem to die because more elderly catch it more easily.
My friend works in a peds office and she says she will kill the next newscaster that says pandemic because most folks have no idea what that means and panic and swamp the office with kids who only need Tylenol and Popsicles!

Hate to admit it... but we were thinking of going in January - postponed trip to May in hopes that H1N1 will be less prevalent. I am more concerned about flying and breathing the re-circulated air. Then again, I supposed you could pick it up in the grocery store or just about anywhere but I figured why take the chance when I know airplane air is so lousy :confused3

Just the facts. As of 10/13 76 children have died from the H1N1 flu since April. 68 children have died since Sept 2008 from the seasonal flu. The odds of this happening to one of our children is low but many of these kids have died just days after contracting the flu. The CDC says its hard to track how many kids get the flu whether seasonal or H1N1 so it would be difficult to have exact statistics of percentages. The numbers or the percentages really don't matter if it is your child that dies.

We are in MA as well and I am very happy to say that both my kids will be getting there H1N1 vaccine next week!! we leave for disney Nov 9th and I definitely wanted them to have the vaccine before we left.

I hate to be the Wicked Stepmother here, but my understanding is that most kids will need 2 doses and it takes a few weeks after that to become effective. I think I read it would be Thanksgiving before most people who got the vaccine would be protected by it.

Also, someone else mentioned the 76 kids who have died. You're right that the reason doesn't matter if it was your child who died, but many of those kids had other health complications prior to the flu.

To the OP, I am concerned, but I am more worried about my kids getting it before we leave and not as worried about getting it once we get there. No real logical reason for that, though.

We are hoping to get my grandson immunized before we go. It hasn't come available for him yet. We are about 80% Dh and I had this already. Back in June DH and youngest DD got sick. Then I got but I am pg and had it pretty bad and ended up in the hospital. They never once tested me for it though. I couldn't breath well at all and we given very strong antibiotics several times and steroids not to mention breathing treatments and such. They kept saying are you sure you don't have asthma? They officially diagnosed me with broncular asthma.
Well when talking about having the shot when my OB has it available we decided I wouldn't get it in time before delivery and that we both think that when I was in the hospital that it must have been it. She now has seen several patients with the same kind of symptoms. Back in June there just wasn't so many here.

We're going in 3 weeks and to tell you the truth I was more worried when we went in April. That was when the story first broke and everyone was freaking out and it was all over the news. I brought hand sanitizer then, and was careful. Will do the same this time, but you have to live, right? A couple summers ago everyone was freaked out about mosquitoes spreading the bird flu. BTW we're going on November 9th too!

We are going the second week of december. I am scared but hope that my kids can get both doses before we go. They got the regular flu shot a few weeks ago.
But when I really think about it, I am scared. I have little excitement over this trip and usually I am planning and happy! We have our ADRs and they are still written on scrap paper, by now I would have made a good sheet and index cards with the info. I am hoping to get in the disney spirit soon!!!

Do we know if next year the H1N1 flu will be included in the flu shot? Will it cover both?

I hate to be the Wicked Stepmother here, but my understanding is that most kids will need 2 doses and it takes a few weeks after that to become effective. I think I read it would be Thanksgiving before most people who got the vaccine would be protected by it.

That's how my ped explained it as well - two doses, 3-4 weeks apart, then a couple more weeks to achieve full immunity. He's holding off on making any recommendations based on that timeline, because with no firm date yet on when the vaccine will be available to his practice and more "flu like" cases coming in every day, his feeling is that most kids will have been exposed before the vaccine takes effect.

I'm a little worried about it as it relates to our next Disney trip, for two reasons - First, I obviously don't want anyone sick while we're down there. Second, we're coming home 4 days before Christmas, so if we pick up the flu while we're on vacation it will get in the way of the holiday celebrations. I'm not so much concerned with the potential seriousness of the illness, since we're all healthy people with no medical issues, but rather with the potential inconvenience.

Also, someone else mentioned the 76 kids who have died. You're right that the reason doesn't matter if it was your child who died, but many of those kids had other health complications prior to the flu.

To the OP, I am concerned, but I am more worried about my kids getting it before we leave and not as worried about getting it once we get there. No real logical reason for that, though.

My oldest is 10 and will not need a second dose. With my 5 year old even one dose will create some exposure and if she was to get the flu before she could get the second vaccine prior exposure may lessen the severity. With 11 children dying of H1N1 this week and 19 the week before I would prefer to have the vaccine than risk getting the flu.

Hi
I am wondering how long will that swine flu be around ,,,I mean it's around since april / may how long does a virus last ?? are we talking months ?? a year ???
I sure hope it's only this season ..that it's not gone be around a few months ...
Anybody know about how long ( usually ) an epidemic last ???
I soooo want it to be over ...:wizard:

My oldest is 10 and will not need a second dose. With my 5 year old even one dose will create some exposure and if she was to get the flu before she could get the second vaccine prior exposure may lessen the severity. With 11 children dying of H1N1 this week and 19 the week before I would prefer to have the vaccine than risk getting the flu.

I don't know about that. Several peds. including a close family friend have expressed reservations to me about the new vaccine. I thought like you to begin with, and had read a lot on the subject. From what I was reading I thought it was going to be just like regular flu vaccine, but this one is a live virus where seasonal flu is not. They have made me take a second look at the situation.

Both the seasonal flu vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine administered in mist form are indeed the live virus, both vaccines in the injectable form are the dead virus so they are the same in that regard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter