Anyone else traveling soon to WDW with concerns about H1N1?

DISNEYFOS

DIS Veteran
When we booked the trip I wasn't overly concerned about flu season etc..but I find myself really freaking out about going there with no H1N1 vaccination for my kids.

We've received the regular flu shot thru CVS (my ped office got their shipments redirected)..but no H1N1

It doesn't look likely that MA will get the vaccination anytime soon.... :sad2:

I am going to be over the top with purell

I'm not worried, because we have already had it......

But, it actually wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but it would still suck to get on a vacation, so I would just make sure you wash hands wash hands wash hands. Purell is good, but cannot take the place of washing hands with soap and water. If you can't wash hands, make sure the kids dont touch their face with their hands. I dont think you can go overboard right now. It is out there and it's spreading like a wildfire, so your concern is valid, but I think if you just take precautions - also, take your vitamin C and make sure you eat as healthy as possible on vacation, to try to keep your immune system up. I'm not sure what else you can do, without getting the vaccine. I wasnt going to get my kids the vaccine anyway, personally. Good luck!!

We just came home on Monday and DD and DH both got the flu. Was it H1N1? I don't really know, or honestly, care. It doesn't really matter until there's some sort of unusual complication. In any case, we were in Orlando for 10 days and they got sick on the last day. Poor babies. I felt terrible for them. But both are recovering, fevers broken and on the mend.

I hope you have a happy, healthy vacation.

We just got back from the World. We too have had the H1N1--it is everywhere here in SC. BUT I used hand sanitzer on my 3 kids hands after each ride--yep, it was a pain, but I was squirting their hands ALL THE TIME. Many Many people looked and stared, some asked what it was (I was stunned they didn't know about hand sanitizer!!) and one mom asked if her daughter could have a squirt!!!! (and yes I gave her some!). Hand washing is best, but if you don't have running water handy---use the hand sanitizer. We went through 2 bottles of medium sized germ x on our trip. We did not get sick though, thank the Lord!!! Have a great trip!

It does seem like its more prevalent in southern states right now...which is probably why we don't have the vaccination here yet.

Anyways..handwashing is best but that would mean stopping in every public restroom which probably isn't ideal.

I worry mostly about my youngest because she sucks her fingers... she catches everything.

ugggh...

We are in MA as well and I am very happy to say that both my kids will be getting there H1N1 vaccine next week!! we leave for disney Nov 9th and I definitely wanted them to have the vaccine before we left.

We are in MA as well and I am very happy to say that both my kids will be getting there H1N1 vaccine next week!! we leave for disney Nov 9th and I definitely wanted them to have the vaccine before we left.

Thats great news. My Pedi office keeps saying they don't have it yet..but maybe that means its trickling in

How are you getting it next week? We are still being told that no one will know when they will arrive until it shows up at their door.

At the pediatrician's office. I was there on 10/5 for routine visit and they did not have it and did not know if or when they were getting it but today I called and asked and they have it. the earliest I could get an appt was 10/23!

Do you normally worry about your kids getting sick on vacation? If so, use the regular precautions that you use then, handwashing and keeping their hands away from their face. H1N1 isn't that much different from the seasonal flu, I think it's just more easily transmitted. But short of postponing your trip what else can you do? Be aware though that if you're flying I bet they won't let you board if you've had symptoms within a certain number of days.

We just returned from WDW and happy to report that we made it through without illness. Truthfully, I'm much more worried about my kids at school everyday surrounded by other children. Our schools are getting hit hard and so far my 2 have managed not to get anything. At WDW at least I could make sure that they washed and didn't lick the handrails.....seriously I must have asked my son to get his face off the handrails about 45,000 times-- what is wrong with that kid?????....at school who knows what they do!

We just returned from WDW and happy to report that we made it through without illness. Truthfully, I'm much more worried about my kids at school everyday surrounded by other children. Our schools are getting hit hard and so far my 2 have managed not to get anything.

Glad you made it back unscathed :goodvibes We just haven't had it around us up here so I worry once they come in contact..wham.

At WDW at least I could make sure that they washed and didn't lick the handrails.....seriously I must have asked my son to get his face off the handrails about 45,000 times-- what is wrong with that kid?????....at school who knows what they do!

I know huh? I never would of thought I'd hear myself say the words.."Get your mouth off that cart handle" :sick: :confused3 :rotfl:

we are going in Nov and not worried about it...we had our h1n1 flu mist last week! I wanted to make sure we had it before our trip.We got the mist and had no problems from it...they said my dd3 may have a small fever or runny nose but she was just fine.I am still going to do alot of hand washing and germ x so we do not catch something else nasty but I do feel a lot better about it.

Don't be too worried about it. The media is doing a great job of making people paranoid about H1N1. The seasonal flu is way more dangerous than swine flu is. Most people who get swine test negative for it since it only shows up in severe cases. So a lot of people have already contracted it and don't even realize it.

Do you normally worry about your kids getting sick on vacation? If so, use the regular precautions that you use then, handwashing and keeping their hands away from their face. H1N1 isn't that much different from the seasonal flu, I think it's just more easily transmitted. But short of postponing your trip what else can you do? Be aware though that if you're flying I bet they won't let you board if you've had symptoms within a certain number of days.

I think that with the H1N1 its not that its more easily transmitted its that its a different strain of virus..no one under the age of 50 has any immunity to it... The numbers also indicate that its causing more pediatric deaths than the regular seasonal flu has in the past.

We live in the midwest and there is a ton of it here. Our next trip planned for Christmas but I am scared of the flight. Not so worried about Disney because it is open. Don't know the numbers but we have had several young people 20-30's in our ICU with the flu on ventilators. Even a couple of deaths of people who were previously healthy. It is hitting way worse than the normal flu. There is alot of media hype but the numbers don't lie. We will be going on vacation though. I will not live in fear of the what ifs. Good handwashing and the vaccines and hopefully we will be good.

As others posters have suggested, build up your own immune systems. Eating well, especially dark leafy green vegetables, vit. C, drinking a lot of water and getting good sleep can help. We take Airborne before getting on the plane and going into the parks and it has always helped. Wipe down all the surfaces in your hotel room (faucets, phone, doorknobs, remotes, etc) wipe antibacterial wipes. You can pick up travel sizes for around a dollar. Rest throughout the day while touring the parks as well so you don't get run down. But most of all enjoy this special time with your family.:wizard:

We cancelled our weekend in Disney because of it. But ONLY because I'm pregnant. If I wasn't pregnant, we would have gone regardless. The media is hyping up H1N1 and really, the seasonal flu is worse.

We just returned from WDW and happy to report that we made it through without illness. Truthfully, I'm much more worried about my kids at school everyday surrounded by other children. Our schools are getting hit hard and so far my 2 have managed not to get anything. At WDW at least I could make sure that they washed and didn't lick the handrails.....seriously I must have asked my son to get his face off the handrails about 45,000 times-- what is wrong with that kid?????....at school who knows what they do!

Holy cow can I relate!! My 7 y/o seems to think anything is game for a good face plant! What are they thinking?? If we could only germ x the world!!

I think that with the H1N1 its not that its more easily transmitted its that its a different strain of virus..no one under the age of 50 has any immunity to it... The numbers also indicate that its causing more pediatric deaths than the regular seasonal flu has in the past.

Every year's flu is different from the year before. That's why you need a new vaccine every year. This is a strain we haven't seen in a while, but it is not true that no one under 50 has an immunity. It was vaccinated for in a school campaign in the 70's so if you were of school age by 70 odds are you probably go the vac. That would mean that anyone under about 40 would not have an immunity. The numbers are showing a grater number of ped. deaths, but that is because there is a much higher incidence of infection in peds. If you look at the numbers as a per capita stat. (i.e. how manay deaths per 100 children infected) it is actually less than seasonal flu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter