• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else think the DDP is NOT too much food?

We are doing the DDP for the first time in November. I am trying to figure out how we will make it work for our family. We are also 3 meal a day people however, we certainly don't normally eat dessert at every meal.

I am planning to take a box or two of cereal with us so we can do a bowl of cereal in the morning before we go out. I also plan to bring coffee so dh and I can make what we like in the room. I don't think we will buy the mugs at the resort because I don't want to carry them around all day. I expect that most days we will head out for breakfast when we head out for the day.

We don't get in til 6:30 on our first night so we will have an extra meal for that day. Still not sure if we are going to do CS or TS that night but I expect it will be one meal and no snacks. Those extra 5 snacks will help offset bfast on other days. I also think we could probably split some meals, I just don't think the kids will want to. Splitting snacks will be easy (and normal for our family).

We'll figure it out I am sure but I do think I need to have a strategy.

It may be too much of the wrong food -- too many sweets. A dessert with every CS and TS lunch and dinner.. Plus the snack credit, which primarily has sweet options.

Hard to say it's too much food in total, when it doesn't even fully cover 3 meals per day. I realize the snack credit can often be turned into a quick breakfast. But that would be much easier with 2 snack credits. (Bagel & coffee would be 2 snack credits, Cereal and a bottle of OJ -- would be 2 credits, etc).

I agree with you. Our family needs 3 meals maybe not big meals. We might have eggs and waffles for breakfast, hamburger for lunch and a nice dinner. That's why we are really thinking about going deluxe. Now we don't need the sweets, but since it's vacation, I guess it's ok. I never finish my meal when we go out to eat, so I plan on taking it back to the hotel.

We (myself and DD 14) are doing DxDP again in May 2011 when we return for our 3rd trip.

We will eat either breakfast OR lunch and then dinner each day, most of which we will book a signature restaurant but we have a few 1 Cr TS also. However, we drive in and arrive early on our first day and leave after the park of our choice closes on our last day so this way we are also able to stretch the credits where we have meals on arrival and departure day also.

I use our snack credits for whatever we feel like using them for while in the parks: drinks, baklava (mmmmmm) milk shake, etc... and last trip, we went to Goofy's and loaded up on some of the make your own snacks to take back to our room mid week and we snacked on those at night after returning from the park. (We brought a mini fridge with us) There are times when we are up early for bfasts or stay very late for EMH in the parks. I have a schedule for us with our ADR's each day, but I have been known to cancel a bfast when we just didn't want to get up one morning and so then I just called to see what was open and we were able to get Ohana for dinner on our departure night last trip. It didn't matter that it was late b/c we were driving over night anyway.

DxDP works for us and I don't believe it to be too much food. We did have one credit each left at the end and we bought some counter service to go sandwiches for the road when we left. It worked out nicely for us and saved me a lot of money still b/c eating at different restaurants, especially the signatures, are part of our vacation since we don't have many choices in the area where we live.

Next trip, 9 nights and 10 days on DxDP! woot!

I can tell you what we do. We usually bring cereal bars, and little snacks to munch on. We also book an early lunch OR early dinner. So if we have an early lunch...we just eat a cereal bar and head out. If we have an early dinner...we eat a late breakfast in the park and then a light snack in the middle of the day then go to dinner. It usually works out just fine. Every morning before we head out...my kids grab their bottle of water, a snack (rice krispie treat, cereal bar, etc) to pack. They use that as a snack as well as their snack coupon for the day. That big snack plus a CS and TS meal is enough to carry them over everyday.

I'm always amazed at the number of people who think the DDP is sooo much food...really?!? I don't know about most people...but my family eats three, solid meals each day and snacks. Yes, I know there are some good snacks out there that can substitute breakfast maybe, but I found I had to order about $70 worth of food from garden grocer for our upcoming trip. Just my thoughts!...

*oh..and just in case you were wondering we are not an overweight family...just the opposite!;)

Well you have triplets which says enough :laughing: See my signature and you'll know why I say that :)

The DDP was just right for us. There are healthy options for snacks including fruit and even just using it for water. Unlike some, I don't feel the need to maximize my snack value. When we needed one (even if it was water) we used a snack credit. We also did end up needing to buy a few CS meals beyond the plan for our one week stay as DH is thin but a big eater.

I think it's plenty of food but not necessarily too much food. I don't have to order the big steak or double burger combo and big gooey dessert because it is included in the plan. Most times a chicken or pasta dish & a scoop of ice cream is plenty. Plus, except for at Prime Time Cafe, no one is standing over my shoulder saying "clean your plate." :)

We don't get the plan anymore but the couple of times we did we didn't go out of our way to get the most bang for our buck which is usually the bigger, heartier dishes so we were mostly satisfied vs stuffed. We usually used the snack credits for water or soda in the parks.

For us the DDP works well. We generally do not use up all the credits, but when I add up receipts later we still come out a head.

I don't find it "too much" food since we choose what we actually eat. If someone said it was too much money for what they were eating, I could understand that (doesn't apply to us though - DH normally finishes his plate and mine). But it should not be too much food.

We use the TS as a time to get autographs, sit down and chat about what we have seen/done, and to rest our feet. We do not go out to eat much at home - so it's a nice change for us and the dining (to us) is just part of the vacation experience.

So, too much food would depend on what you order/place on your plate.

Also, I could never understand the people having too many snack credits...I realize some of the plans have two snack credits per night as opposed to the DDP which only have one snack credit. However, two bottles of water a day or one bottle of water and an ice cream eat up your snack credits. Are you trying to tell me that you do not have a drink while walking around the park??

We always do the DDP. I use my snack credit for the milk/cereal for breakfast (around 7am), the CS for a light lunch in the parks (around 1PM), and then the TS for dinner (around 7pm). And, last year, I lost 4 pounds while at Disney!!!

This Fall I am actually thinking of the DxDP this trip around. I have this elaborate spreadsheet (thanks to Cafeen) and I haven't even put in our CS meals and based on what I estimate we will eat and where we will eat...it justifies the DxDP. We eat one TS meal a day...dinner. We are doing 3 TS that are two credits each (another reason for the DxDP).

Granted, everyone uses the dining plans in different ways...I just need someone to explain to me how they have too many credits left over...then maybe I would understand.

I'm in the camp that it is not too much food. We get the DxDP.

As some other posters mentioned, we tend to use at least one of our 2 snack credits on water at the park. Also, we occasionally will get an ice cream etc. Last trip, we had a number of snack credits remaining, so we picked up muffins, water, juice, milk etc etc for the looooong drive home.

Concerning the 3 meals a day on DxDP. We eat a lot of 2 credit dinners/shows. That leaves 1 credit for lunch. Our family gets up EARLY and moving, so a light breakfast at our room plus an early lunch ADR. Then, early dinner ADR.

Now I will say, we don't go hungry. :) But too much? nah. I can see, however, for the people who tend to be late risers, to eat three meals would be tough unless you were eating dinner at 10pm.

Also, I could never understand the people having too many snack credits...I realize some of the plans have two snack credits per night as opposed to the DDP which only have one snack credit. However, two bottles of water a day or one bottle of water and an ice cream eat up your snack credits. Are you trying to tell me that you do not have a drink while walking around the park??

This was us one year. We were paying for the drinks and saving the credit for a food snack. It took about half the trip to realize that we weren't likely to snack since the DP already comes with 2 desserts then we started using them for drinks.

we split a CS breakfast - split a CS lunch and then each get our own TS dinner. If there is an appie we particularly want, we get it OOP. If we aren't hungry for dessert we:

1. get something that we can bring back to the room
2. get apple slices to munch later (CS dessert -we almost always get apple slices)
3. SKIP DESSERT!!!

We probably get 1 extra snack OOP per day, usually something not on DDP like funnel cake!!!! This is enough for us (2 adults) without being "too much".

we split a CS breakfast - split a CS lunch and then each get our own TS dinner. If there is an appie we particularly want, we get it OOP. If we aren't hungry for dessert we:

1. get something that we can bring back to the room
2. get apple slices to munch later (CS dessert -we almost always get apple slices)
3. SKIP DESSERT!!!

We probably get 1 extra snack OOP per day, usually something not on DDP like funnel cake!!!! This is enough for us (2 adults) without being "too much".

That's a great idea to split two counter service credits for breakfast and lunch.

I'm always amazed at the number of people who think the DDP is sooo much food...really?!? I don't know about most people...but my family eats three, solid meals each day and snacks. Yes, I know there are some good snacks out there that can substitute breakfast maybe, but I found I had to order about $70 worth of food from garden grocer for our upcoming trip. Just my thoughts!...

*oh..and just in case you were wondering we are not an overweight family...just the opposite!;)

This shocks me too. My DH and I and are children are all fairly slim, and we eat a TON! Basic DDP is definitley not enough food for us. We always spend extra.

Way too much food, if i did DDP i would come back 25 pounds heaver. This last trip alone with the regular plan i did gain somewhere around 15 for the week. I find the regular plan way more than enough and we never use our snacks (i always have goodies to take home). I cannot eat a heavy meal in the morning just makes me very sluggish to start the day so cant imagine adding two more meals on top of that. I eat a breakfast bar, cs lunch and then table service where i eat more than enough.

Way too much food, if i did DDP i would come back 25 pounds heaver. This last trip alone with the regular plan i did gain somewhere around 15 for the week. I find the regular plan way more than enough and we never use our snacks (i always have goodies to take home). I cannot eat a heavy meal in the morning just makes me very sluggish to start the day so cant imagine adding two more meals on top of that. I eat a breakfast bar, cs lunch and then table service where i eat more than enough.

To gain 15 pounds in a week, you would need to eat an EXTRA 7000 calories PER DAY. EXTRA.

I don't think the DDP is to blame for that. Just saying, maybe some of that was dehydration, retaining water etc.

I don't think the DDP is too much food. We always take something like pop tarts or cereal bars for breakfast. We eat a CS lunch, a TS dinner, and we share snacks. I think it's about perfect for us since we don't normally eat a big breakfast at home.

We've had DDP twice, once with kids and once without. DH and I found DDP to be just fine, not too much food, not too little. The kids, however, had way more than they could eat and I was really appalled at how much they wasted. The could have split one Dining Plan and had plenty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter