1. Guest - Welcome to the new DIS Boards! I will create a thread on the tech support board to talk about any issues we are seeing and another thread to discuss new functionality - Alex

Anyone else stranded in the North East?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by DVCMikey, Feb 8, 2013.

  1. DVCMikey

    DVCMikey New Member

    We were set to leave Tonight (Friday) night to drive down to orlando. We have this huge storm coming in and was wondering if anyone else in NJ or the North East is in the same situation as us?

    They are saying about a foot of snow where we are, We already had to cancel our Saturday night hotel room. I plan on being up early Sat morning, plowing our driveway and then off we go. Hopefully the storm ends earlier than what they are saying and it isn't as bad.
     
  2. Avatar

    Google AdSense Guest Advertisement



    to hide this advert.
  3. Sarya

    Sarya New Member

    I lucked out and still have 18 days before my trip. I am in Central New Jersey and we are mostly rain till about 9pm tonight then some snow. It's really going to be bad in New York and Boston. Tons of flights cancelled every where. It is going to be a doozy.

    I hope you are able to get there safe!!

    Update if you can.
     
  4. DVCMikey

    DVCMikey New Member

    we are in sussex county. Normally we would have probably left but we have a steep driveway and if we dont plow it before we go, we will never make it up when we get home.

    also, worried if the power goes out. don't want to leave the house to freeze. we have a generator I can hook up if that happens.

    Well, whatever it will be it will be.
     
  5. nicolepl17

    nicolepl17 New Member

    We live in Rockland county NY and we were stranded over hurricane Sandy. Supposed to leave the day before the storm but no flights would go out of any airports here.
    We didnt have the option to postpone the trip as my husband has scheduled vacation picks but Disney was very accommodating with canceling our reservations without fees. We booked special holiday tickets and tours which both were advertised as having a no refund for cancelation policy so it was very nice that they honored the cancelation.

    I remember with Sandy, the storm was over but it took them an extra day to clean up the runways :( so it delayed us even more. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
     
  6. AngiTN

    AngiTN New Member

    I wish you luck in getting out tomorrow. I have to admit, I think I'd have left early and gotten the heck out of dodge in front of the storm. But I'm a Southerner and 6" of snow cripple us, I can't fathom anything more. Heck, we got 3 inches last Saturday and we had to cancel our morning plans till they came by and salted our street. We don't leave our driveway with any white stuff on the road :)
     
  7. DVCMikey

    DVCMikey New Member

    yea we are used to snow up here. they take care of the roads pretty good up here working through the nights.
     
  8. Tomh

    Tomh New Member

    We are in the North East as well, though we aren't traveling to Disney World right now.

    Our current forecast is for 11 to 20 inches of snow before it is all over, and it isn't supposed to end until sometime around mid day Saturday here.

    There are some advantages to traveling during the summer school break, one of them being that we don't have to worry about snow storms.
     
  9. michelleiada

    michelleiada New Member

    Anyone in Massachusetts that had plans to fly out tonight or tomorrow...aren't going anywhere! We are projected to get up to 30 inches of snow with blizzard conditions. Yikes! So sorry for those that were scheduled to fly! I'm glad I have no place to go.
     
  10. OrangeCat04

    OrangeCat04 You may have noticed that im not all there myself

    OP, I feel your pain. I live near Boston and one year in January we had a trip planned. Got a big storm a day or so before our flight. We were so anxious to find out if we would be able to go since all flights were canceled. We ended up being the first flight out that wasn't canceled. Very nervewracking. Part of the reason we haven't booked a January trip in a few years.

    Be Safe, Disney is always waiting there when you are finally able to make it down. Best of luck! pixiedust:
     
  11. Hopefully

    Hopefully New Member

    We are outside of Boston and the forecast here is for 24" - 36" of snow with hurricane force winds and moderate to severe coastal flooding. The wind will lead to blowing and drifting 5 - 6 FOOT drifts are possible
    I worry if we loose power - and there will be power outages- we loose our heat.
    The city is shutting down all public transportation at 3:30. All non essential workers are to be off the roads.
    It is forecast as a "historic" storm for us here. We are the bullseye.
    Good Luck to all.
     
  12. mm1971

    mm1971 New Member

    Not stuck because we have no trip to go on:sad1:, but I figured I would pass on best wishes that you will be able to leave in the morning. I live in the north shore in MA and it looks like we will have the storm until tomorrow evening.

    Whenever you get the green light, I hope you have a great vacation.
     
  13. letsgoreds

    letsgoreds New Member

    Stay warm guys! I hope everyone's power stays on!!!
     
  14. skater

    skater <font color=blue>Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't

    I've been thinking about all of you guys in the northeast. We're in MD, and so glad to be missing this one. A few years ago, our flight was canceled ahead of the second of two big storms- it was devastating until my DH agreed to drive us to Disney. We drove in-between the storms and drove on roads I would never attempt for work :lmao:. Even the capital beltway was covered with a couple inches of solid ice in many parts. Its a hard thing to miss a Disney trip :). I'm praying that everyone who has a trip planned gets to go at some point, and that all of you stay safe and warm. I know what its like to lose power (and heat and water) too.
     
  15. mieshie75

    mieshie75 New Member

    We are in lynn mass near the beach and are prepared for a mother of a storm. We always lose power and they are not the best about plowing here . So my kids and I dubbed this disney weekend , movies, Xbox games, and all meals from the disney cookbooks. I even bought apples to apples disney version for the occasion.
     
  16. emilyindisney

    emilyindisney Active Member

    I'm in Connecticut and we're looking at 24-30 inches. I hope you can get down there, but please be safe! Good luck and enjoy your trip!
     
  17. AprilTwins

    AprilTwins New Member

    We were supposed to leave Sat. morning but flight got cancelled. Was able to get a 9pm flight on Sun. Disney was very nice about rearranging our reservation. Tried to get a late flight on thurs or early today but everything booked. Right now it's raining here in NYC. Expected to get bad later on.
    Good luck and stay safe

    Chris :)
     
  18. LaurenT

    LaurenT New Member

    We're near NY's capital. "Only" supposed to get about a foot here. I do have a Chinese new year brunch tomorrow that I'm still hoping to make, but we're not flying out o Disney until next Saturday!
    Good luck.
     
  19. minnie mum

    minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

    We're snowed in here until the plow clears out our street. Can't see the house at the end of our block and the bottom 2 steps at the front door have disappeared under drifts.

    But I just got off the phone with a lovely CM who booked us on the Gardens of the World tour during our trip in April. So I'm happy for now.

    I think we'll wait till tomorrow to fire up the snowblower.
     
  20. heidibilotti

    heidibilotti New Member

    Yup completely snowed in in ct. Winds are realty starting to whip up. Going to dream tonight of our April cruise
     
  21. Lorilais_mommie

    Lorilais_mommie " They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the

    We are here just north of Boston...

    My dad was visiting us and we were able to get his flight moved to sun..
    However when I called I was told there was only one more seat on that flight and would not be anymore until Tuesday!!!
     

Share This Page