• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else seen this or know anything more?

hauntedmansion

Mouseketeer
This was on my homepage news.....

07/19/2005 14:17:41 EST Girl Sexually Assaulted at Fla. Theme Park

ORLANDO, Fla. - A 12-year-old girl was sexually assaulted at a Universal Studios hotel by a man who followed her into an elevator, authorities said Tuesday.
No immediate arrests were made.

Sheriff's Sgt. Rich Mankewich said man followed the girl, who was alone and looking for her mother, from the parking lot into the Enclave Suites on Monday night. A room key is required to enter the hotel, but Mankewich said the man slipped in behind her.

Once on the elevator, the attacker groped the girl over her shorts, investigators said.

The girl told investigators she bit the man after he put his hand over her mouth to stop her from screaming. She pushed the emergency button and ran out when the elevator stopped, Mankewich said.

The girl was from Ukraine and had recently arrived in the United States with her family. Investigators said she had taken a self-defense course just two weeks ago, which police credited with helping her end the attack.

Investigators distributed security camera photographs of the man leaving the elevator. There was no camera in the elevator itself.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

First I'm seeing this. How terrible. Unfortunately any place that attracts kids, is going to attract these weirdos too. At least it seems like this girl knew how to defend herself.

I must say though the headline is misleading and typical of the way the media covers these things, the girl was assulted in a hotel at Universal not in the theme park. But it is more 'sensational' to say it happened at the park. Just like it's more sensational to say that someone collapsed after a ride when the problem had nothing to do with the ride. The circumstances become more important than the incident. To the media, the fact that it happened at Universal is more important than the fact that a 12 year-old was assaulted, a sad statement about our society.

Thanks for the link safetymom...I had nooo idea what was up considering it went from a theme park to a Universal hotel to an offsite I-Dr location

The hotel involved was the Enclave Suites, Carrier Drive, next to Wet n Wild.

From the sentinel

"A 12-year-old foreign tourist fought off an attacker who tried to rape her late Monday in the elevator of an International Drive area hotel.

The child screamed, bit the man's hand and broke away when the door opened on an upper floor at Enclave resort, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

"She did all the right things," said Sgt. Richard Mankewich of the Sex Crimes unit. "She probably saved herself from being sexually assaulted."

Security cameras filmed the attacker as he followed the 12-year-old from the rear parking lot into the hotel lobby when she let herself into the building with a magnetic swipe room card. The child took a self-defense course about two weeks ago and seemed to have a sixth sense about the predator's presence, Mankewich said.

The child had accompanied her mother to the parking lot about 11:30 p.m. when her mother left to buy a pizza for the family, records show.

The sheriff's office was attempting to digitally remove the child's image from the security tape this morning so they could release the video in time for evening and on-line news broadcasts.

The attacker is described as a 5-feet 7-inch tall, 150-pound white male, about 19 years, with short black hair and a mustache. He spoke with a high-pitch and an accent that the child, a foreigner, could not recognize.

Dressed in a white t-shirt, white pants and white shoes, the man might be a kitchen worker at some local business, Mankewich said.

The Enclave on Carrier Drive, a block of International Drive, was the site of the arrest earlier this year of a Brazilian man who was charged with assaulting women at hotels in the tourist corridor. The man jumped bail and remains at large but is not a suspect in Monday's attack as the attacker was much younger."

The suspect has been identified and arrested.

Local 6- Orlando

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The man accused of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old British tourist in a hotel elevator this week was a former middle school teacher who recently lost his certificate for allegedly fondling a girl at another hotel.

Orange County Sheriff's Deputies arrest Carl Moore Tuesday night for allegedly molesting a 12-year-old girl in a hotel elevator.

Carl Moore, 36, of Kissimmee, had worked at Neptune Middle School in Osceola County before losing his license for failing to report within 48 hours a 2002 arrest for allegedly groping a 17-year-old girl at a hotel pool, according to documents from the Florida Department of Education. The final order for revocation was signed February 5.

Moore has faced several child sex abuse allegations, including a September 2002 arrest for allegedly reaching under the shirt of tourist less than 12 years old in yet another hotel elevator. More recently, he was arrested June 26 outside the same hotel after allegedly trying to hide at 3 a.m.

Investigators say Moore is not a registered sex offender in Florida. Though the victim picked Moore out of a lineup, charges in the September 2002 arrest were dropped after she failed to show for deposition or trial and prosecutors were forced to dismiss the case.

He was charged only with providing false identification to a police officer who responded to the June suspicious persons call.

However, after Monday's alleged incident, Moore faces attempted sexual battery, false imprisonment and lewd molestation charges.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office arrested him late Tuesday at a restaurant where he works less than a mile from the Enclave Suites, where Monday's assault allegedly happened.

Do you think we have learned our lesson with the likes of Joseph Duncan and that this Carl Moore will be put away for a long time/forever??? This is his FOURTH attempt?!!

Or will he be out in a few years to do something horrible like Duncan did to Shasta Groene and her poor family? :sad2:

I wish the laws in this country would be changed so that child molesters would be kept behind bars.

I totally concur sln88...our laws are pathetic...

I say we hang em up by their nads for a couple of weeks...then just let them rot off....might make em think twice if they do ever get released. To bad other countries do the castration thing...but we can't figure that out in the US... :crazy2:

Esmerelda

Esmerelda said:
I totally concur sln88...our laws are pathetic...

I say we hang em up by their nads for a couple of weeks...then just let them rot off....might make em think twice if they do ever get released. To bad other countries do the castration thing...but we can't figure that out in the US... :crazy2:

Esmerelda

Esmerelda, you were reading my mind, but I was afraid if I posted that, the mods would delete it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter