Anyone else reading the Divergent series?

My problem with the third book wasn't really the storyline, but the writing. It is SO contrived! Characters behave unlike they ever have just to move the plot along, and the plot itself is full of gaping holes. I'm not sure what happened, but I think maybe the author's brain is like quicksand too and she forgot what she had written in the other two books. :)

I agree! I loved the first one, liked the second and was PO'd at the the third. I felt like I deserved better after suffering through the randomness of people's actions (ahem, Evelyn) and getting zero explanations for why someone was just so darn special.

My book club read the first one. I liked it a lot. Couldn't make it more that halfway thru the second.

Agree with everyone!

First book was great.
Second book was okay.
Third book I have had for a couple of months and it is only partially read.

I have them on my Kindle and if anyone wants to borrow them let me know. I think I can loan each book for 2 weeks max. at a time. I will loan one at a time.

I read the whole series and loved it. Can't wait to see the movie in March. However, I hated the ending of the third book. But...still worth it and loved the series.

While the 3rd was my least fave of the 3 books, I didn't have major issues with it except that it is much slower moving than the others. I didn't even mind the ending, but I have to agree that it was not as we'll written as the others.

I read the first one and didn't like it. I forced myself to finish it just because I started. I then googled the 2nd and 3rd one and read the summary on Wiki. I am glad I didn't waste time on them.

I saw the movie traile for Divergent. It looked interesting though. I may give the movie a try when it comes out.

MC = main character, I'm guessing.

A Mary Sue is basically an author wish fulfillment character. Someone who is basically perfect in every way, possibly with superficial flaws as a failed attempt to give them true imperfections. These characters are fun for an author to write, but not so much fun for most readers, since they tend to lack real character development (since they have little room for it).

Regarding the topic of the thread, I'm planning to see the films, but I can't read first person fiction. I had to listen to Hunger Games on audiobooks and it still drove me crazy.

Thank you for the explanation! :)

I haven't read Allegiant yet but I loved the first two. I'm waiting for a copy to come in at my library but there's a huge wait list for it.

Saw the preview for the movie this morning; DH called it the poor man's Hunger Games. Won't read the series or see the movie(s); not my genre.

Queen Colleen

On the movies, I'm not liking Kate Winslet being Jeanine Matthews, but it's just because she's totally my girl crush!

I've read them all. Fans are going to be really mad at Allegient

I know right!!!!

I really liked the series and I'm sooooo excited for the movie! So is my 12 year old daughter!

It gets kids reading and that's a good thing!

I'll tell you what! I just read the first two books of the Pure trilogy! Can't wait to start the last one!

I am reading the third book now. DD brought home the first one from school! We both read it. Her friends owns them all so I am reading them from her collection now. I am hearing in my mind that some say the third book does not end well, so I do not think I am enjoying the last book as well as I normally would. But so far so good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter