• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone Else Read Disney War....?

mickey0624

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!
I just finished reading Disney War by James Stewart and was wondering if anyone else has read it. If you are a Disney fan it is a VERY interesting read about everything Disney over the past 15-20 years including Eisner, Katzenberg, Ovitz, Gold, Roy Disney, Euro Disney, ABC acquisition. I don't know if it is 100 percent accurate, but it seems like Stewart does a good job at citing his sources. Anyway, a very interesting read if your a Disney fan.

Yes, I have. Some of the "Quotes" seem a little out there, for someone who doesn't actually have them on tape. That being said, it was a good read, especially finding out how poorly the way the Eisner troops handled Roy. :thumbsup2

DH just finished and I have it now. I'm up to the "Ovitz era". Interesting reading so far.
Stewart seems to have covered his bases with checking his evidence- in particular all the footnotes where he confirms the private conversations with the others involved. Eisner must have been happy to hand off lots of personal notes, it seems like every chapter is full of them.

I've read it. I really enjoyed it. Definitely quite an eye opener to the people and relationships (or lack there of) at the top, especially during the latter Eisner years.

WOW...an eye opener indeed! I'm reading it right now, and thoroughly enjoying it. It's amazing to learn about the depth of changes at our favorite world under Eisner. I was totally clueless on his influence into all the new resorts at WDW and Disneyland. Good stuff. Can't put it down.

Thanks for the info! I was looking to pick up a new book for our trip...this will be perfect!

I've read about 75% of it; we got slammed at work and I had to bring it back to the library. what I read was excellent though and as soon as we slow down again I'm going back to get it so I can finish it.

I was dying laughing over Eisner's Mickey hotel. :)

I am in the process of reading it now.
I find it a little boring and seems to drag on.
I was told the other Walt book is very good - it is a paperback and available at Disney. I forgot the title but told it is really good.

I just downloaded the audiobook from Audible.com - I have a few free downloads thanks to Bzzagent (I have a few cards to pass along to friends and family for one free download if anyone wants one, just ask) Can't wait to hear it, LOL. It comes in 3 parts, between 8 and 9 hours each . . . should keep me busy on my iPod for awhile.

But yeah, it's one credit on Audible, retail price for the audiobook is $54.95, non-member price is $38.47, member price is $26.93 (if you don't have a credit) . . . but like I said, if there are some of you who want a free credit for signing up, let me know. It's not like a referral, I don't get paid. . . but BzzAgent is basically to get word of mouth out about companies and products, so when they gave me my free membership, they gave me mini-freebies to pass along to friends.

I just checked this out from library a couple days ago but haven't started it yet. Hope it's good.

Thanks for the info! I'm always looking for a good book to read. I'll have to check it out.

I thought I would revive this old thread as I picked up the book on a steep discount at Chapters. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend getting it.

I just picked this book up at the Dollar Store! Maybe I am a bit naive about corporate America but I cannot fathom how this bunch of paranoid egomaniacs ever managed to sustain the Disney empire. I am over halfway through it and it's giving me a nervous breakdown. What a bunch of greedy, nasty people!

Makes me think twice about applying for a job at WDW when we move down there in 3 years.

I read it in the fall and I loved it. I love business biographies in general, and this was a terrific one. (I'm now reading a biography of Walt Disney himself, also a great read.)

DisneyWar amazed me. I am astonished that grown professional men and women can be so selfish, egotistical and plain mean to others. I'm amazed that some business decisions were made simply to spite others, and that lifelong friendships amount to so little that a few bad decisions cause the friendship to be shattered. I'm amazed at the level of untruthfulness, territorialism and backstabbing that happens in the business world, even in what seems to be a utopia as Walt Disney Corp. I was shocked to see just outright bad business decisions: not enough research, poor personnel choices, no accountability at upper levels, intimidating board members, etc. Shame on them!

I was surprised to learn how little the theme parks play into the overall day to day decisions of the whole corporation. I didn't realize how much the company had grown into a multi-media communication juggernaut, and less of a kid's amusement source. I was dismayed to see how the definition of family entertainment had skewed so much over his tenure.

I sure did look at WDW through different eyes during my last trip there in January.

Moved this one over to the ThemeParks community board.

Knox

I guess I had heard that Eisner had passed on Survivor, but I didn't know he had rejected Lord of the Rings and CSI as well! And now Katzenberg, who Eisner's "golden retriever" for years until they had a huge falling out, is the "K" in Dreamworks SKG - producers of Shrek. Katzenberg was the creative brains behind most of Disney's major successes in the 90's.

I was also surprised at how small a part the theme parks play in the overall Disney empire. I guess we Dissers assume that the parks are the crowning glory! I was also surpised at how far-reaching the Disney empire is. I'm still reading...so more surprises may be in store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter