Anyone else notice the helicopters over OKW?

ccw

Disney diva!
We were at OKW in Bldg 56 from this past Sunday til Wednesday and I noticed helicopters flying over us just about all day (or at least the hours we were at the resort!) There were LOTS of them. My husband said he read that they were shuttling golfers to and from a tournament being held close by and maybe that's what they were...anybody else notice them and know for sure what was going on?

I suspect that that is incorrect. We were told by a reliable source when we noticed the helicopters on our last trip that there are a number of helicopter tour companies in the area that fly around WDW all day and that it has become quite distracting.

FWIW:

Actually I have seen many unmarked Black Helicopters at all of our trips to the World. Also, where the FLEER (FLIR) module would be, at the belly of the 'copter, is some type of sub-audible disrupter projector! Supposidly the FAA is investigating. :teeth:

Rumor is that it alternates with playing, "It's a small world.....", and "You will buy Mickey Bars!"

I have also heard that they have nothing to do with the frequent UFO activity over Cindy's Castle!

-Tony

I remember one day this past week the Prez was scheduled to visit Orlando again according to the news. Maybe it was secret service.

They really skirt the property--don't make a direct fly over from what I have seen (though it sometimes appears that they are if you don't watch closely).

Doctor P said:
We were told by a reliable source when we noticed the helicopters on our last trip that there are a number of helicopter tour companies in the area that fly around WDW all day and that it has become quite distracting.

I was under the impression that (particularly since 9/11) WDW was a "no fly zone" for outsiders :confused:

I heard it is the new "express air shuttle" that wisks members from SSR to EPCOT. It is still in the testing phase, so no official announcements, yet.

Well it is almost April 1st (April fools day).

Maybe has to do with the chunks of land that are being / have been recently sold on the edges of the property???

MinnieGirl33 said:
I was under the impression that (particularly since 9/11) WDW was a "no fly zone" for outsiders :confused:

I might be off on this one, but I thought that was for the parks only, not the entire property owned by Disney, meaning they can't fly directly over the MK.

I too noticed and increased amount of helicopter traffic last summer on days we spent at the pool...I just thought that was more people doing the helicopter tours as travel to the Orlando area picked up again.

greenban said:
FWIW:

Actually I have seen many unmarked Black Helicopters at all of our trips to the World. Also, where the FLEER (FLIR) module would be, at the belly of the 'copter, is some type of sub-audible disrupter projector! Supposidly the FAA is investigating. :teeth:

Rumor is that it alternates with playing, "It's a small world.....", and "You will buy Mickey Bars!"

I have also heard that they have nothing to do with the frequent UFO activity over Cindy's Castle!

-Tony

Hmmm... :idea: A new business opportunity - a tinfoil hat stand!! :crazy:

I found this description of Disney's no fly zones:

Security experts say such no-fly zones -- barring planes from flying below 3,000 feet within 3 miles of the center of the parks -- provide little actual protection from terrorism. The job of enforcing the zones is especially difficult above places such as Disneyland and Walt Disney World, where Cinderella Castle is located near busy airports, they say.

Sorry everyone for the confusion. I bought these park hopper tickets and am trying to see how many parks I can get in in a day. The heli really helps me get from park to park pretty quickly.

However, the CMs get a little miffed when I drop in right at the Land entrance at 9am to beat the crowds to Soarin' :rotfl2:

Just speculation here:

The only time I noticed helicopters on my trip the second week in March was the day I spent at Typhoon Lagoon - I assumed they were circling TL for possibly safety reasons? Arial lifeguards? Darn it - I should have asked someone about it......

Anyhow, they weren't a constant presence, but I did notice them going over about 4 or 5 times in the time we were there. Being that OKW is kind of near to TL, I suppose they might fly over it to turn around, IF in fact they are associated with TL.

Rappelling into Epcot via helicopter - clever plan. Except how would you get your park pass in the system for fastpasses? :lmao:

childsplay said:
I too noticed and increased amount of helicopter traffic last summer on days we spent at the pool...I just thought that was more people doing the helicopter tours as travel to the Orlando area picked up again.

Forgot your swim suit??? :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter