Anyone else notice that the wifi at resorts is poor?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Sparkly, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Sparkly

Sparkly Starlight, starbright...

We're at Kidani Village right now, and my internet keeps dropping out. I called for assistance and she just told me to use Internet Explorer. :confused3

Is it always this bad?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. chicklet2

chicklet2 Mouseketeer

It's always that bad, I totally agree with you. Ever since they switched over to free wifi, it has been horrible. I didn't feel it was right to be charged to use the Internet before but I would be willing to now if it was better. I would end up using my IPad and use 3G because it was better when I was able to, but for business with laptop and such I tried best to deal with it. If you have something important you can always visit a business center, like at the Yacht Club, and rent computer for sometime. You do have to pay but if its a necessity to have solid good connection it is worth it.

4. pl4bby

pl4bby Mouseketeer

It is so bad I rather pay $10 a night with the Ethernet than have free wifi

5. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Had a horrible experience at BCV last week. Connection would keep freezing up after a few minutes. Found that if I turned the computer's wifi off and back on that it would resume but then it stalled again a few minutes later. Very frustrating.

It appears that Disney knows there is a problem. I got a survey when I got home and there were several questions on it related to the quality of wifi service.

6. pl4bby

pl4bby Mouseketeer

I have gotten that survey a lot since they changed to WiFi and I guess they don't care how much it stinks it about getting complaints.

7. seashoreCM

seashoreCM All around nice guy.

Wifi uses an antenna. Maybe it works better in some wings of the resort in which case these boards might serve as a good place where experiences are collected and the "best wing for wifi" at each resort can be publicized.

8. appleorchard

appleorchard DIS Veteran

It was horrible for me last week at BLT.

9. Yellosno

Yellosno DIS Veteran

Poor network design for the number of users, and definitely not enough bandwidth.

10. SYDNCLAIRESMOM

SYDNCLAIRESMOM curiouser and curiouser

Terrible at AoA last this past August. :headache:

11. Bell30012

Bell30012 DIS Veteran

I'm at Kidani Village suffering with you. Even my 10-year-old was complaining when trying to use her MacBook.

12. pl4bby

pl4bby Mouseketeer

I have been to bwi, yc, contemporary, SSR numerous times since the switch and it was awful at all of them

13. bigbabyblues

bigbabyblues DIS Veteran

Is this still available at the resorts?

14. Shlooma

Shlooma Earning My Ears

I'm at riverside right now and am having a good experience with the wi-fi. I am in the mansion section.

15. DisneyFreaksx4

DisneyFreaksx4 Earning My Ears

Of course it's going to to be slow. You have to think of ow many people are trying to get online. If you need to get online, do so while people are in bed or at the parks.

16. Wood Nymph

Wood Nymph DIS Veteran

It was fine for me last week at the Wilderness Lodge. I didn't use it a lot, but when I did it worked well.

17. Fuhnuh

Fuhnuh Mouseketeer

Last August, 3 week trip, poor wifi at AKL, BC, and GF pretty much at all times. At most times it was difficult to even login to email and transfer some pdfs. We had a few pockets of success, but really had to make do with Verizon/ATT 3g/LTE (which is also a bit overtaxed in WDW). I may be in the minority here, but I miss the $10 wired internet fee option. I liked being able to get a little business done pain free every few days. I understand the attraction of free internet, but if it isn't consistently usable, I would prefer the return of paid internet.

I watch the wifi threads because I am hoping that my experience was a fairly isolated occurrence or that it is getting better. I guess I'll find out next August.

18. sallysallysally

sallysallysally Earning My Ears

no problems for me

19. Bell30012

Bell30012 DIS Veteran

The wired access is no longer an option. I turned on my little 3G device. I had given up on being able to do anything meaningful on the Free WiFi.

20. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

I've had two very different experiences. We stayed at BCV and AKV in October and I had no WiFi issues. My iPad connected and would stay connected without fail.

I just returned from a week at BWV and I couldn't get my iPad to connect for more than a few minutes at a time.

21. minniebeth

minniebeth <font color=green>I count on y'all to keep me up t

It's interesting to see everyone's experiences here. We did a split stay in January. Our connections at the Wilderness Lodge were horrible. At the Polynesian it was decent, but slow at times.

We too got a survey with several questions in reference to the wi-fi, for the Polynesian. I wish we had gotten one from the WL too.
    At least they're asking.... It's a start.