Anyone else notice that Entertainment Staff join character lines?

genki3

I'm on a seafood diet. I see food, I eat it.
Sorry if I'm ruining the magic for anyone. I'm not trying to. I'm just honestly curious why this is.

I just got off my 2nd DCL cruise and on both cruises, I noticed CMs from the shows "pretend" that they are regular guests and they wait in character lines with us. I'm not sure if they are pretending. But it seems like they are. They don't do anything special, there's no "show" they are planning. It's just weird. Or maybe I missed something?

On my first cruise on the Fantasy, I had the guy playing Aladdin and the lead girl in Wishes pretend like they were on a date. They were right in front of me in line for Daisy (if I remember correctly). Then this past cruise on the Wonder, there were a few CMs in line for Captain Jack Sparrow.

I mean, what gives? If anyone knows why they do this, please enlighten me. Or if anyone else notice this on their trips, please share!

Sorry if I'm ruining the magic for anyone. I'm not trying to. I'm just honestly curious why this is.

I just got off my 2nd DCL cruise and on both cruises, I noticed CMs from the shows "pretend" that they are regular guests and they wait in character lines with us. I'm not sure if they are pretending. But it seems like they are. They don't do anything special, there's no "show" they are planning. It's just weird. Or maybe I missed something?

On my first cruise on the Fantasy, I had the guy playing Aladdin and the lead girl in Wishes pretend like they were on a date. They were right in front of me in line for Daisy (if I remember correctly). Then this past cruise on the Wonder, there were a few CMs in line for Captain Jack Sparrow.

I mean, what gives? If anyone knows why they do this, please enlighten me. Or if anyone else notice this on their trips, please share!

How do you know they were just "pretending"? Many crew members date each other and when they are on the ship for months at a time with limited opportunities to be on shore, maybe that was their version of a date.

Do you mean they were waiting in line for a photo op with the characters?

Or they could be enjoying their rare time off. CM's like characters too... you just notice it more on the ships due to the small staff. :groom::genie:

How do you know they were just "pretending"? Many crew members date each other and when they are on the ship for months at a time with limited opportunities to be on shore, maybe that was their version of a date.

I'm aware that CMs date each other. That's cool with me. And I know sometimes they have time off and they use the adult pool area or go off the ship. But this was different.

Do you mean they were waiting in line for a photo op with the characters?
Yes, it seems that way to me. On the Fantasy, I KNOW they took a picture with Daisy (or maybe it was Donald). The Wishes girl even posed with one of her legs bent back cutesy-style. On the Wonder, I didn't stick around to see what they did.

What's strange to me is why that time? I'm sure they all know each other and I'm sure they can take personal pics with characters "behind the scenes" which is even more cool because regular guests don't get to. It's just weird to me.

You can say they're enjoying their time off, but that just doesn't make sense to me. Do you see these CMs eating in the buffet or out at the main pool area enjoying an ice cream cone "on their time off"? No way. The only time I've seen CMs use amenities like regular guests is on port days in the adult pool area. And even then, it seems to me that they try their best not to mingle with us or make their presence known. These character lines...that's a different story. And I really don't buy that they are really out on a date! And at main dining time too, imagine that! Such coincidence! No way. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I know a few CM's on the cruise. Yes they do date. Yes they want an official pic with the characters for their memories too. Yes some do eat in the dinning rooms when they have a night off. Some even get in line when their family comes to visit. I know for sure 2 CM's that are no longer with Disney Cruise dated in real while Castmembers. They are now engaged to get married. I know others that met on the cruise line and now are happily married still working on the ship. They may be able to get a pic other times but they are probably to busy getting ready for the show. The lighting may be lousy. Also behind the scenes they probably would not be able to show anyone. We do not know the rules. So if it their time off why not get in line for a picture.

Well, I guess it is possible they were shills meant to juice up the positive energy in the character line, especially if the line was very long and people were getting grumpy. That would be an odd choice for "face" characters like Aladdin and Kayla (?) that passengers would likely recognize. But maybe that was the point: "Look! Even the CMs love the Disney "magic" and want to be a part of it even during their time off!" That's super-cynical, but certainly in the realm of possibility.

Or maybe it's true - they were out on a date, as it were, and wanted to take part in cruise activities just like real passengers. Yes, they can get photos of characters behind the scenes, but while that would be unique and special to the general public, it's probably a "been there, done that" thing for a CM. In which case, perhaps they wanted a break from "job stuff" and act like guests for an evening for a change of pace. Main dining would make sense in that case, as there are a ton of characters out right around the time of the first dinner seating. That's when hundreds of other guests go to see the characters, too.

I agree with everyone, lol yes they want the photo op too, but then if I had small children waiting in line to see someone, I would be like hey ship employee get out of line let my child and I (who paid a small fortune) see Mickey! Lol there is really no making everyone happy!
Excuse me know while I go start another alcohol on ship poll!

It may also be that they are not allowed to take photos behind the scenes? My dd's band marched at WDW this year and they were informed no cameras were allowed in the behind the scenes staging they were in, or along the back walkways to and from there. The CM with them fully admitted they didn't want anyone to capture anything "non-magical" like Mickey with his head off, smoking a cigarette, then post it to social media.

And I'm guessing if they do want a picture with a character, the environment/background for the meet and greet is way nicer than behind the scenes, which on most ships is fairly sterile grey/beige.

We also know a few CM's who met onboard and dated and then got engaged (now married with 2 kids since leaving DCL). They were from Australia and actually came to spend a week with us in NY.

I could easily see CM's getting on line to take pics with the Characters and nice backdrops instead of behind the scenes. I guess no one will ever really know though!!

MJ

Definitely in the parks you aren't allowed to take photos behind the scenes especially of characters (ex cast member). I agree with others that the likelihood they genuingly wanted to have photos taken. It is possible this was their last cruise before heading home so they wanted to get photos for family etc and this is the only way they can do it.

Okay, thanks to all who replied. I guess I'm a conspiracy theorist, thinking there's gotta be more to it than innocent intentions for character pics.

I know a few CM's on the cruise. Yes they do date. Yes they want an official pic with the characters for their memories too. Yes some do eat in the dinning rooms when they have a night off. Some even get in line when their family comes to visit. I know for sure 2 CM's that are no longer with Disney Cruise dated in real while Castmembers. They are now engaged to get married. I know others that met on the cruise line and now are happily married still working on the ship. They may be able to get a pic other times but they are probably to busy getting ready for the show. The lighting may be lousy. Also behind the scenes they probably would not be able to show anyone. We do not know the rules. So if it their time off why not get in line for a picture.
Out of curiosity, when they do eat in the dining rooms, who is serving them? How do they tip whoever serves them? I find it weird. Disney (DCL) is definitely an awesome company to work for, as I've been told they are "fair" to their workers, as opposed to other cruise lines. I've never worked for them. But I would hazard a guess that I don't think they'd encourage their employees to participate in the same activities that regular guests do. They are employees, not paid customers. That statement will probably get me a bullseye target on my back but that's what I believe.

I can understand if employees are on vacation and they decide they want to go on a cruise that they've paid for. Then by all means, see you in the dining rooms, in character lines. But if you're working on the ship, it just doesn't seem right that you'd participate in the same activities like eating in the main dining room as regular paying guests.

On my recent cruise, the port shopping lady was in Palo with us, and some CMs had family with them and dined with them, it's quite normal, in fact families get good discounts.

They totally encourage their entertainment staff to enjoy guest privileges! They can eat at the buffet, the MDR or Palo. They can swim in the pool or go see movies. They are entertainment, not crew. They have different (BETTER) living quarters, better pay and special privileges. We have a friend who is a singer on the Fantasy and he really only works a few hours a day and can basically enjoy the ship in any way he likes in his off hours. We are actually hoping he can join us in Palo for brunch on our next cruise.
He did tell us that the ship gets 'old' after a while and spending time in public spaces is not as fun as it was to begin with. After your 15th Pirate night fireworks I'm guessing the shine wears off. Now imagine that for 4 years?

They totally encourage their entertainment staff to enjoy guest privileges! They can eat at the buffet, the MDR or Palo. They can swim in the pool or go see movies. They are entertainment, not crew. They have different (BETTER) living quarters, better pay and special privileges. We have a friend who is a singer on the Fantasy and he really only works a few hours a day and can basically enjoy the ship in any way he likes in his off hours. We are actually hoping he can join us in Palo for brunch on our next cruise.
He did tell us that the ship gets 'old' after a while and spending time in public spaces is not as fun as it was to begin with. After your 15th Pirate night fireworks I'm guessing the shine wears off. Now imagine that for 4 years?

Thank you for the distinction. I guess there is one when it comes to the entertainment staff, and the rest of the staff/crew onboard. I forget that the entertainment staff is paid a salary, unlike the rest of the crew.

Yes they greet characters and go on port adventures. They can probably do other things with guests on the ship too. I saw Cinderella on 2 port adventures with us in street clothes. I thought this was kind of cool but didn't say anything. None of my business. I'm just cruisin' along...

I would assume they just had time off and were actually dating. As past posters said, entertainment crew have a lot more flexibility, privileges and free time. We know a CM and her and her friends go on excursions, eat in restaurants at certain times and date each other.

It may also be that they are not allowed to take photos behind the scenes? My dd's band marched at WDW this year and they were informed no cameras were allowed in the behind the scenes staging they were in, or along the back walkways to and from there. The CM with them fully admitted they didn't want anyone to capture anything "non-magical" like Mickey with his head off, smoking a cigarette, then post it to social media.

And I'm guessing if they do want a picture with a character, the environment/background for the meet and greet is way nicer than behind the scenes, which on most ships is fairly sterile grey/beige.

I used to work for Pixar and taking photos in restricted areas was just something you didn't do: no one told us not to, but it was just understood that we'd be able to think for ourselves. One time, an employee had invited some friends on a Sunday and let them stray out of his office. They had then taken photos in some hallways and posted them online. I heard that the employee got a special invitation to a talk with upper management afterwards, something that was very rare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter